Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes, its Sven again

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
“I’m not thinking about tactics or formations at the moment. Everything depends on Wayne Rooney. If he is fit, he will play up front with Michael Owen, because that’s the best couple we have.”
Sven Goran Eriksson, 17.05.06

So, with 3 weeks to go to the start of the World Cup, Sven cheerfully informs us that he's not even thinking about small, insignificant details such as tactics or formations. He has perceptively identified that Owen and Rooney are our best "couple" up front. So we can all rest assured that, if fit, Wayne will indeed line up alongside Michael. Up front. Well, thanks for clearing THAT one up then Sven.
Now then. Spotters Badge to anyone who can identify the potential flaw in Erikssons masterplan. Thats right, we don't really seem to know what happens if Waynes NOT fit. And going by this, with 3 weeks to go, nor does the manager.

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."
M Adams, dim and distant past.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
He f***ing said that yesterday??!!? When *is* the clown going to start thinking about tactics and formations?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Have you considered knocking him off in the best interests of the country Easy ?

You'd be out in 15 years

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sid James said:
Have you considered knocking him off in the best interests of the country Easy ?

You'd be out in 15 years
True, but then I'd miss McLarens dazzling England career as he leads us to previously unscaled heights of world domination and glory....

OK, someone get me a gun.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The bloke is clueless and whats worse is that when we go out in the 2nd stage after scraping through the 1st round with a heroic rear guard action after a terrible refereeing decision went against us we have an even bigger clown waiting to take over :nono:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Easy 10 said:
True, but then I'd miss McLarens dazzling England career as he leads us to previously unscaled heights of world domination and glory....

OK, someone get me a gun.

That's the ticket you legend you.

It's does beg with question, if he's not thinking about tactics what is he thinking about .......

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
LDH said:
He f***ing said that yesterday??!!?

No not really, he actually said that untill the friendly on May 25th he wouldn't be drawn into saying what the best formation with out rooney was, but he hinted Gerrard would play as a second striker !!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Although to be fair to Eriksson, it must be quite hard to come up with things like formations and tactics when you havn't even seen all of your players actually playing. I know I'd struggle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sid James said:
It's does beg with question, if he's not thinking about tactics what is he thinking about .......
Walcotts girlfriend ?
I know I am.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Easy: you're being a bit selective here mate. Rooney is our best player so any sensible manager woud wait until they definitely knew if he was fit before finalising tactics etc.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson said: "After 25 May we will know much more about what will happen with Wayne.

"It will be a pity if he does not make it - but our chances do not stand or fall with Wayne Rooney."

Eriksson is already considering using Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard as a support striker in Germany if Rooney is not fit enough to feature.

"I have known for many years that Steven can play a lot of positions and one is second striker," he added.

"I am sure he could also play as first striker and he is also excellent at right-back.

Of course he's thinking about it but like any intelligent manager, he's not putting all his cards on the table yet to be slaughtered by a press pack who on the whole hate him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sneaky George said:
Easy: you're being a bit selective here mate. Rooney is our best player so any sensible manager woud wait until they definitely knew if he was fit before finalising tactics etc.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson said: "After 25 May we will know much more about what will happen with Wayne.

"It will be a pity if he does not make it - but our chances do not stand or fall with Wayne Rooney."

Eriksson is already considering using Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard as a support striker in Germany if Rooney is not fit enough to feature.

"I have known for many years that Steven can play a lot of positions and one is second striker," he added.

"I am sure he could also play as first striker and he is also excellent at right-back.

Of course he's thinking about it but like any intelligent manager, he's not putting all his cards on the table yet to be slaughtered by a press pack who on the whole hate him.
Not selective at all squire, its a direct quote. If anyones being selective its Eriksson when he says

"I have known for many years that Steven can play a lot of positions"

What he doesn't mention is that as a DIRECT RESULT of Eriksson playing him in "a lot of positions", Gerrard has almost without fail been utter GASH in an England shirt. Sven knows he must play him, but he's got no idea where. The fact that he's now also considering playing Gerrard as a striker gives a further insight into this mans utter cluelessness. Could he not have a five minute conversation with Raphael Benitez to get an idea on how best to deploy Gerrard ? Naah, he's got a good shot on him so lets play him up FRONT.
Genius.

Gerrard has said himself that he's only ever played 45 minutes for England in his favoured position. Doesn't look like thats going to change in the near future now, does it.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
rooneys scan next week , depending on results of this will govern what Sven will do next. It still leaves 2 weeks and 2 games to sort it out,
Dont see what he's done wrong here , its not like hes got a team full of players that are completly clueless and will need 6 months intensive sessions on tatics to know what they are doing

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Not selective at all squire, its a direct quote. If anyones being selective its Eriksson when he says

"I have known for many years that Steven can play a lot of positions"

What he doesn't mention is that as a DIRECT RESULT of Eriksson playing him in "a lot of positions", Gerrard has almost without fail been utter GASH in an England shirt. Sven knows he must play him, but he's got no idea where. The fact that he's now also considering playing Gerrard as a striker gives a further insight into this mans utter cluelessness. Could he not have a five minute conversation with Raphael Benitez to get an idea on how best to deploy Gerrard ? Naah, he's got a good shot on him so lets play him up FRONT.
Genius.

Gerrard has said himself that he's only ever played 45 minutes for England in his favoured position. Doesn't look like thats going to change in the near future now, does it.

Utter gash is harsh, his role for England has been different to that at Liverpool as Lampard is incapable of sitting deep.

Dougal said:
its not like hes got a team full of players that are completly clueless and will need 6 months intensive sessions on tatics to know what they are doing
Most of them have had YEARS of working with Sven to unlearn what they COULD be doing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Utter gash is harsh, his role for England has been different to that at Liverpool as Lampard is incapable of sitting deep.
Yes, thats the whole problem. And when you make a direct comparison between his performances for Liverpool and his performances for England, I don't think GASH is too harsh a word. We all so much WANT the Gerrard of Liverpool, but in Svens teams, the roles he gives Gerrard do not enable him to do it. He doesn't even look like the same player in a white shirt. And that failure must be put squarely at the managers doorstep. He's had 5 years to sort it out, and he's failed.

Miserably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here