Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yasin Ayari

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Gross scores that. But he is 33 and an experienced goalscoring pro.
Give Ayari a couple of dozen more games and he probably does too. He's dynamic, doesn't stop running and wants to get into the box.
I don't think it's even close to a given that WBG scores that chance either though, mainly because he wouldn't have been there, he'd have been 10 yards back.
Ayari’s chance was 0.3 XG. Gross missed a 0.41xg at 1-0 when we lost 2-0 last season. Gross missed plenty of chances too!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Gyökeres is probably the only major example of Brighton dropping the ball.
Tony's Albion maybe. We have plenty of examples over the years. :ROFLMAO: Ian Wright is the first that springs to mind.

It sums up Tony Bloom that even with Gykores, the one that got away, he still at least trebled his money, buying him for £1m and selling for £1.2m plus a sell on clause that reportedly saw him get a couple of million from Coventry's sale. In betting terms he still didn't lose, he just cashed out too soon.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Gyökeres is probably the only major example of Brighton dropping the ball.

Probably didn't expect him to become this good after his double loan at Swansea and Coventry only yielded 4 goals from 31 games.
I still think Gyökeres flatters to deceive and will not be nearly as successful if he returns to the PL.

Yes, he's banging them in the league, but he's doing so for a dominant team in a very uncompetitive league.

He scored 5 in the Europa League last season, but 2 were penalties and 2 were against Kjell Scherpen (who is clearly not as good as our other Dutch keeper...)

Admittedly, he scored 21 goals in the signifcantly more competitive EFL Championship 2 seasons ago, but even then scored several fewer than Chubby Akpom.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
I still think Gyökeres flatters to deceive and will not be nearly as successful if he returns to the PL.

Yes, he's banging them in the league, but he's doing so for a dominant team in a very uncompetitive league.

He scored 5 in the Europa League last season, but 2 were penalties and 2 were against Kjell Scherpen (who is clearly not as good as our other Dutch keeper...)

Admittedly, he scored 21 goals in the signifcantly more competitive EFL Championship 2 seasons ago, but even then scored several fewer than Chubby Akpom.

Wouldn't call it noncompetitive. 3 teams going for the title most seasons. Braga and Vitória S.C. are decent also.

Some players just develop later than others.

Lewandowski barely played for Poland at any level until he was 20. Then blew up.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink also. Struggled in his home country for years, then moved to Portugal and started banging them in.

Ian Wright was a labourer until he was around 21. Signed for Palace a week shy of his 22nd birthday.

I don't think he's world class. But he has become a very well rounded CF.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Gyokeres picks up a lot of assists as well, so he's clearly a very clever player who is contributing goals and assists at a rate that prime-Henry would have been proud of!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If Ayari genuinely tried to wrong foot Raya then fair play and love that speed of thought- Raya was just too slow to move his arse accross ,but if he just hit it and it ended up where it did then it was a bloody terrible effort!!
Only he knows

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That one always rankles with me as he came to us on trial before palace and we turned him down. Similar time that we turned Roy Keane down as well.
And a couple of years after we rejected (after trials) Trevor Steven and Jon Aldridge...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That one always rankles with me as he came to us on trial before palace and we turned him down. Similar time that we turned Roy Keane down as well.
And apparently had to hang around outside the ground afterwards to borrow money from one of our first-team players to get the train home.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
And apparently had to hang around outside the ground afterwards to borrow money from one of our first-team players to get the train home.
i think the story was that he was kept waiting in club office all day for his train fare home and no one providing it in the hope he would get bored and go. Steve Foster stepped in.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He never looked especially promising whenever he was given first-team minutes. Nothing like as impressive as Ferguson.
Looked to be trying too hard, and I remember a shot he took that went off target seemed to drain him. He looked the better prospect than Connolly in academy games, both lads perhaps not mentally ready, but in different ways.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
He played very well vs Estonia. Unlucky (post) not to score.

Sweden have the makings of a very good team. Hien (25), Ayari (20), Bergvall (18), Larsson (20) Nanasi (22), Elanga (22), Kulusevski (24), Isak (24) and Györekes (26).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He played very well vs Estonia. Unlucky (post) not to score.

Sweden have the makings of a very good team. Hien (25), Ayari (20), Bergvall (18), Larsson (20) Nanasi (22), Elanga (22), Kulusevski (24), Isak (24) and Györekes (26).

I couldn't remember who Bergvall had signed for so searched his name and discovered it means "mountain wall" in Swedish, which is nice.

Less interesting is the fact he signed for Spurs.

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
I couldn't remember who Bergvall had signed for so searched his name and discovered it means "mountain wall" in Swedish, which is nice.

Less interesting is the fact he signed for Spurs.

Spurs did well to beat Barcelona to his signature. He has huge potential. Very technical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here