Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yankuba Minteh SINGS on 5 year contract

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Thanks for trying to teach me how to tie my shoe laces. The next time I’m in need of some basic tactical explanation, I’ll definitely come to either you or Southgate.

There are multiple ways to play with 3 at the back, and multiple ways to configure the front 2 or 3 positions, as we’ve seen at the Euros alone with Germany, for example, who play with a false 9 and 2x roving 10s. Switzerland offer another alternative. Southgate offered another in extra time last night…

Basically, I’m glad that we’re planning to have wingers in our system rather than going back to Potter’s version of 3 at the back, which was incredibly narrow.
You said it was "strange" that we're signing a winger when we're likely playing 3 at the back. I told you it wasn't strange. Sounded to me like you needed a basic tactical explanation :shrug:

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Certainly looks exciting. Slight reservations about the Eridivisie though.

Having two very good 1v1 wingers will create plenty of space in the middle. It's the main reason we struggled for goals last season so glad to see this is being addressed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well either you announce it or you have dozens of journalists calling you in the morning and probably a few thousand incontinent-born fans flooding social media with doom, tears and piss.
If Minteh wasn't announced last night we would already have seen five or six posts in this thread wondering if "the club failed again!!!" etc. The club is probably well aware that the human species is a sad, sad lot, and they have to act accordingly to avoid a bunch of extra hassle.
It's a simple message to the regulators. It had to get done. by midnight yesterday to count towards Newcastle's PSR offset.

I imagine he'll do some PR, as will Hurzeler when everyone's back for the first day of pre-season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well done the club.

I've been completely immersed in international football and so haven't seen any of this thread, and can't be bothered to read it

But is the general consensus that he is likely to be competing with Adingra and eventually March for a spot on the right wing. (Leaving, Mitoma and Osman to compete for the LW spot and Facu and Enciso to compete for a deeper central forward position)?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
there are comments (here, twatter etc) suggesting that either Mitoma or Solly are off due to this, and other potential signings. I dont understand this at all, given that the main reason for the bad end to last season was due to player injuries. We NEED more players, not just change the ones we have for someone else, the squad needs proper strength in depth not just a main player and a half decent backup- how many of us look enviously at Liverpool,City, Arsenal etc who can put out two or even three different teams, all capable of being at the top of the league- i see these new signings as the next stage in the clubs evolution, the fact that IF everyone is fit, no one suspended, on international duty, or sick, we have first team quality players having to compete for their place in the team is exactly what we need. Im hoping for a few more signings so that guessing our best 11 becomes a complete nightmare for us fans, and the opposition

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
According to the Athletic it seems we were also interested in Anderson and both Everton and Chelsea were after Minteh
Interesting — Anderson a decent squad player but not worth the £35m Forest have been charged. Of course Newcastle might have offered us a discount but not sure it would have been worthwhile.

Edit: Most will probably not remember but Anderson scored twice against us in our pre-season friendly with Newcastle last summer.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
there are comments (here, twatter etc) suggesting that either Mitoma or Solly are off due to this, and other potential signings. I dont understand this at all, given that the main reason for the bad end to last season was due to player injuries. We NEED more players, not just change the ones we have for someone else, the squad needs proper strength in depth not just a main player and a half decent backup- how many of us look enviously at Liverpool,City, Arsenal etc who can put out two or even three different teams, all capable of being at the top of the league- i see these new signings as the next stage in the clubs evolution, the fact that IF everyone is fit, no one suspended, on international duty, or sick, we have first team quality players having to compete for their place in the team is exactly what we need. Im hoping for a few more signings so that guessing our best 11 becomes a complete nightmare for us fans, and the opposition
Well yes, we went about 3 months last season, barely being able to put a side out. And at the start of the season, it looked a pretty stacked squad

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Interesting — Anderson a decent squad player but not worth the £35m Forest have been charged. Of course Newcastle might have offered a discount but not sure it would have been worthwhile.

It might have something to do with Newcastle signing a goalkeeper from Forest at the same time. Doesn't look like much of a goalie for that matter!!

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
It might have something to do with Newcastle signing a goalkeeper from Forest at the same time. Doesn't look like much of a goalie for that matter!!

Ah, of course.

Newcastle shrewdly replacing their back-up keeper, 45th-ranked Slovakia's 35-year-old no. 1, with 51st-ranked Greece's 30-year-old no. 1. It's like Ashworth never left :lolol:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Brighton have a bigger squad than any of those teams. 36 first team players expecting high level football next season and a number of academy players like Leonard, O'Mahony and Moran probably also up for Championship+ football.

The idea that Brighton has a thin squad is something invented by RDZ and his followers. Many teams are or should be jealous of the squad depth we have.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Agree. Reminds me of Connelly. Lots of energy and pace, but stares at the ball at his feet and never looks up.
Don’t worry, I’ve put a call into Shoosh this morning.

It's a simple message to the regulators. It had to get done. by midnight yesterday to count towards Newcastle's PSR offset.

I imagine he'll do some PR, as will Hurzeler when everyone's back for the first day of pre-season.
Very much this.

We didn’t have to put the message out at 1am but it would have been odd for both parties to not confirm at the same time, why leave any avoidable element of doubt that it was done in time from a regulatory point of view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here