Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yankuba Minteh SINGS on 5 year contract

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So bit how City had KDB injured or semi-injured for most of the season, how Arsenal had a starter in Timber getting injured and missing the season, Liverpool sometimes playing games without ANY but one or two first team players on the bench, Aston Villa losing four starting players to injuries for most of the season... list goes on until the very bottom with Sheffield starting the season with 10 injured players.

Thats the life and reality of every club. Some adapted well, others did not. We were absolutely in the latter category. And not all of these clubs got an established Barca player on loan in case their manager played his best player to death for the second season in a row.
Yeah, poor old city and their threadbare squad with no midfielders 🙄 It’s not the numbers, it’s the key wide players we lost to injury. We had competent cover - finishing 11th all things considered was fine with me. A fit March and Mitoma and we’re comfortably top 10.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Course it did. March and Mitoma are true, experienced wide players and the best we had in their positions. Enciso missed most of the season through injury, Fati was just starting to cook when he got injured and with Fergie either ill, misfiring or then injured Welbeck had to play centrally. All of them are a downgrade on the wing compared to March and Mitoma.
Ferguson was struggling with illness for much of last season, I'm reliably informed.

However, it's sad to see a thread about a potentially great new signing (and one with pace!) with some interesting side conversations (March's long term prognosis, PSR and its restriction on Saudi money, the quality of players from the Dutch league) being diverted into stuff that's already happened and can't be changed, yet again :rolleyes:.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ferguson was struggling with illness for much of last season, I'm reliably informed.

However, it's sad to see a thread about a potentially great new signing (and one with pace!) with some interesting side conversations (March's long term prognosis, PSR and its restriction on Saudi money, the quality of players from the Dutch league) being diverted into stuff that's already happened and can't be changed, yet again :rolleyes:.
It’s hardly diverted….this signing gives us great cover for March, whose injury was a key contributing factor to a season of what might have been

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s hardly diverted….this signing gives us great cover for March, whose injury was a key contributing factor to a season of what might have been
That bit's fair enough, obviously. We'll find out soon enough if Minteh is back up or if the plan is for him to start while we find out how successful March's recovery is. It's good to have both options.

But this thread is nothing to do with RDZ whatsoever.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Surely, given the transfer fee it's start / feature in every game. I get his age and I get he's a player signed for his potential, but Brighton signing someone for £30m? We can't be talking about loaning him

My hunch is that Adingra starts initially on the right and Minteh is the impact sub and we'll see if he can arm wrestle the shirt off him

I reckon March will return sometime in the winter and resume his career more as a wing back or possibly a full back

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
+
Surely, given the transfer fee it's start / feature in every game. I get his age and I get he's a player signed for his potential, but Brighton signing someone for £30m? We can't be talking about loaning him

My hunch is that Adingra starts initially on the right and Minteh is the impact sub and we'll see if he can arm wrestle the shirt off him

I reckon March will return sometime in the winter and resume his career more as a wing back or possibly a full back
I was becoming more and more underwhelmed with Adringa as the season drew to a close, but I’m putting that down to fatigue, he was played to death due to the injuries and AFCON didn’t help.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Can def see Solly at least covering at LB.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
That bit's fair enough, obviously. We'll find out soon enough if Minteh is back up or if the plan is for him to start while we find out how successful March's recovery is. It's good to have both options.

But this thread is nothing to do with RDZ whatsoever.
Minteh will have a good chance to establish himself in pre season and the start of the season as March is highly unlikely to feature this side of Halloween. That right wing place is certainly up for grabs if he shows the right attitude and brings over some of that form from last season.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Agree that March is likely to go back to a wing back role... because he's bloody good at it, and there's more wingers around than wing backs.

edit: wrong

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree that March is likely to go back to a wing back role... because he's bloody good at it, and there's more wingers around than wing backs.

As it stands I think it will be mainly Mitoma and Adingra to the left and Minteh and Osman to the right (despite Osman mainly playing to the left in Nordsjälland, he is left footed and more likely in modern football to end up a RW). But there's plenty of options. One of Minteh and Osman may go on loan, could be another twist to the story.
Now that wasn't too hard now was it? :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Gambians have arrived on the Brighton Facebook page.

Just in time for Albion's show of support for Pride.

I think if ever there was a time for 'How it started- how it's going...'

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
It looked a decent squad on paper last year because it was a decent squad which also ended up in a decent position in the league, despite the manager trolling for at least 6 months.

At no point did the team run out of players. Brighton never faced any issue like that. At the peak of "the squad is too thin, our horrible club is EVIL to our cult leader!" after the Roma game, Brighton had Baleba, Ferguson, Fati, Veltman, Verbruggen, Webster, Lallana and Moder on the bench that day in Rome.

As I've said, the perception of the squad depth was a mix of the worshipped cult leader blaming his failures on it, along with the general mindset of people that "the more things I buy the better things get". The idea that Brighton had or has a small squad has zero basis in reality.
You have a very different recollection to the Roma game than I do.

I remember RDZ being absolutely panned, that was the point when people turned on him, not turning on the club. And frankly rightly so, that was the point when his tactics were really exposed for all to see.

What you say about squad depth I'll agree to some extent. There are a lot of players in there but there was a fairly big drop off in certain positions, largely due to the reliance on youngsters who weren't quite ready yet (e.g. Buonanotte and Baleba), those over the hill (Lallana and Milner), or those who haven't been able to recover pre-injury form (Moder and Lamptey).

We have a lot of players, but quite a few need to be sold this summer. Clearly Moder is being offered out, then there are guys like Sima, Scherpen, Kozlowski Who look like they'll never make it here.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As videos go, the two above are seriously impressive.
We're getting a teenager with serious pace, who puts defenders on their backsides, has played at the African Championship of Nations, played and scored in the Champions League, has learned to speak fluent English and also creates and scores goals.
We're buying an upgraded Anthony Knockeart.

This lad looks the real deal. He's my player of the month for October. (I'm allowing him August and September to work his way into the starting XI).

Is the number 30 shirt number taken yet at Brighton?
They speak English in Gambia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here