Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wrexham thinks we're a bit of alright!

Feb 14, 2010
Maybe it's one you might have heard in Zulu as the mainly Welsh garrison competed with singing of the Zulu hordes? Great scene.

Just a point of order, in real life there were more Irishmen than Welshmen at Rorke's drift. Most were English, then second were Irish and third were Welsh. Also the "South Welsh Borderers" were not the regiment at Rorke's drift as such a regiment didnt exist.

As a bit of Sussex history, Colour Sergeant Bourne was from Balcolmbe and when he joined the army he walked from Balcombe to Brighton to sign up. The BBC had him on recording until the 1960's when some genius decided to have a clear out and destroyed the tapes.

One other point of order is that if the British reinforcements hadn't arrived they would all have died..the Zulus didnt let them off as the film suggests... oh and the mutual respect thing.. well after the engagement, the British walked over the ground finding wounded zulus and then bayonetted them to death.

Still as they, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Feb 14, 2010
Maybe it's one you might have heard in Zulu as the mainly Welsh garrison competed with singing of the Zulu hordes? Great scene.

Just a point of order, in real life there were more Irishmen than Welshmen at Rorke's drift. Most were English, then second were Irish and third were Welsh. Also the "South Welsh Borderers" were not the regiment at Rorke's drift as such a regiment didnt exist.

As a bit of Sussex history, Colour Sergeant Bourne was from Balcolmbe and when he joined the army he walked from Balcombe to Brighton to sign up. The BBC had him on recording until the 1960's when some genius decided to have a clear out and destroyed the tapes.

One other point of order is that if the British reinforcements hadn't arrived they would all have died..the Zulus didnt let them off as the film suggests... oh and the mutual respect thing.. well after the engagement, the British walked over the ground finding wounded zulus and then bayonetted them to death.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
As opposed to the full youth team your manager disrespected your 200 travelling fans and the derby players and fans. Sounds far worse to me.

pmsl you just got owned!!,think before you open your gob,:clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pity your manager direspected them by playing the youth team then.

I presume your manager did the same, or were you just shit?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton

Thanks for that. Never let history get in the way of a cracking good film though!

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
It was an absolute joy to look after the Wrexham fans yesterday,they drunk shed loads but didn't get stupid with it like most away fans.They sung their hearts out before,during and after the game,not once did any of them get out of order.Other away fans should take a leaf out of their book.They drank the south stand dry.

animal wrexham

Jan 8, 2012
It was an absolute joy to look after the Wrexham fans yesterday,they drunk shed loads but didn't get stupid with it like most away fans.They sung their hearts out before,during and after the game,not once did any of them get out of order.Other away fans should take a leaf out of their book.They drank the south stand dry.

It was an absolute joy to come to your superb new stadium.
Every Brighton supporter I spoke to were first class, a great bunch I must say, proper football club with proper fans.
Saturday will go down as one of my best days at a football match.
Hope to see a few of you at our place for the replay.

Thanks again for the hospitality! :cheers:

As a bit of Sussex history, Colour Sergeantbourne was from Balcolmbe and when he joined the army he walked from Balcombe to Brighton to sign up. The BBC had him on recording until the 1960's when some genius decided to have a clear out and destroyed the tapes.

# Allso the guy who played seargeant bourne also lived in balcombe:moo:

southcoastexpress

Jan 9, 2012
West Worthing
The other song we were singing was Hymns and Arias by Max Boyce.

As a Worthing based Wrexham fan I should like to thak everyone connected with making the day out such a great experience for all Wrexham fans including those who stayed over at my place!!!
The train was easy(great stewarding at Brighton station and they let us break our journey there to get 'refreshed' at the Evening Star where fans and staff were very welcoming.Even allowing us to sing Welsh songs quite late in the evening when we returned there haha.A fantastic atmosphere in the away end before,during and after the game brought tears to my eyes(bit different to our recent Sussex visits to Langney Sports,the Dripping Pan and Crawley) and reminded me what we have been missing since the asset strippers sent us tumbling to non-league.

The fans and staff in Dick's bar after the match were friendly too .The attitude of the police was one of good natured helpfulness enabling a nice day.I hope the North Wales robocops are not in view for the replay.

I hope to see and chat with some of you on the way up to the Racecourse.Cheaper to book and advance ticket on Virgin to Chester and a separate ticket to Wrexham.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It seems we made quite an impression on the Wrexham fans (as they did on us).

Now that their club is run by a Supporters Trust (?) I hope that they will also cultivate the attitude of welcoming fellow fans as guests. Sure, for 90 mins or so, they are the opposition and football is a passionate game and incidents on the pitch can create anger but, once the game stops so should the rivalry.

Sure every club has it's nutters. A mate of mine, in his 50's, was beaten up in Wrexham some years ago after a midweek game but every club has many more genuine fans and it's up to us all to extend the hand of friendship and make football a place you can go to safely.

There have been tremendous strides since my 20's when going to a game was almost a war game, with the opposition and the police. Things are so much better now so, if Saturday can be used as a model of how things should be done then so much the better.

Oh, one last word of advice. A FA Cup mun can really mess up a promotion bid. Extra games, injuries, suspensions etc. So, in the spirit of friendship, make sure you bow out in the replay as heroric underdogs. You know it makes sense!

GlynTheMilk

May 24, 2004
Wrexham
I'm sure that the welcome extended to us on Saturday will give quite a few people at The Racecourse ideas about how to make visiting fans more welcome. That's not to say that they're not welcome already, but you guys went above and beyond anything I've experienced before. Sorry to carry on with the love-in, but I can honestly say that every fan, steward, bar steward, bouncer, copper and railway employee that I encountered on Saturday were top notch human beings. May I offer a massive "cheers" to each and every one of you.

The matchday experience at The Racecourse can be a little draconian in comparison, but hopefully this will change now we have people in charge with a bit of imagination. I'm sure, however, that come Tuesday week, there will be a warm welcome in the hillside for any Albion fans making the trip. I may even take Wednesday off so I can join you all for a few light ales.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The warmth of the welcome was genuine, given the history of both our clubs, however it also reflects a positive move by BHA. If you treat away fans well, they will behave well, have a great time and want to come back. If you treat people like animals, don't be surprised when they behave like animals.

I think it's a good philosophy. :)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The warmth of the welcome was genuine, given the history of both our clubs, however it also reflects a positive move by BHA. If you treat away fans well, they will behave well, have a great time and want to come back. If you treat people like animals, don't be surprised when they behave like animals.

I think it's a good philosophy. :)

Exactly - it's hardly rocket science is it? Makes you wonder why more clubs don't adopt this approach.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was chatting with an extremely boozed-up Wrexham fan on the train back to Brighton, and suffice to say he'd had a brilliant day and couldn't have spoken higher of the club, the stadium and the fans here. He was trying to talk me into coming up for the replay ("I'll make sure you don't have to buy a drink in my local..."), but I just can't do north Wales on a Tuesday, sadly.

Great bunch of fans, and it was brilliant to be able to welcome them to a proper football stadium.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I was chatting with an extremely boozed-up Wrexham fan on the train back to Brighton, and suffice to say he'd had a brilliant day and couldn't have spoken higher of the club, the stadium and the fans here. He was trying to talk me into coming up for the replay ("I'll make sure you don't have to buy a drink in my local..."), but I just can't do north Wales on a Tuesday, sadly.

We had the same from a couple of older Wrexam fans on the bus back to the Mill Rd P'n'R, they were very funny with it too, top bunch of fans in general. They thought The Amex was (quote) " a beautiful stadium". Shame a lot of other visiting fans haven't been quite so gracious this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here