Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you want u-turn on hunting ban?

Free vote on a repeal of the hunting ban?

• Yes, let them vote

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • No, let's keep it how it is

Votes: 68 68.7%

• Total voters

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Nope, killing animals for fun is wrong and doesn't belong in a civilised society. Couldn't care less what class of people do it.

so you would be happy if a tory government liberalised it then coupled it in a civil rights bill with fishing so to get rid of one you'd have to get rid of the lot?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think you are spot on there. Whilst, obviously, much of the anti-fox hunting will be made up of people that perceive it to be cruel, it does smack of 'let's ruin the sundays of the chinless wonders'.

That sort of sentiment is almost as cringeworthy as those who, STILL, refer to football as a working class mans game. Apparently Hull are a proper working class club, according to a poster, I forget who it was, despite replying. How?

f***ing hell have you ever been to Hull? Its hardly Wivelsfield.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

I think the clue is in the word 'club' (ie not the city itself). People who watch Hull every week are clearly not hard up. The idea that watching them is a 'working man's' pursuit is rightly dismissed as a bollocks.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think the clue is in the word 'club' (ie not the city itself). People who watch Hull every week are clearly not hard up. The idea that watching them is a 'working man's' pursuit is rightly dismissed as a bollocks.

dont be a bore mate its a little joke about Hull being a bit of a shithole. I could not care less who calls football a working mans pursuit or not, or Hull a working mans team.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I have never been to Wivelsfield, but I have been to Hull. The point being that they did not get there by being a 'working class club'. They got a rich chairman, a brand spanking new stadium free and a deluge of decent players on big wages. Working class? Pah!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I don't live in the city and I would vote for the retention of the law. I suppose you would vote for inhumane slaughter of livestock, regardless of the animal as long as it saves the farmer a buck or two.

As someone else has already said, it's democracy at work. If we relied on you country folk to run the country then there would never be anything other than a tory government. You'd all be voting for your local landowner (and head of the hunt). We wouldn't have any labour laws, welfare state, pensions, health service. The Tolpuddle Martyrs would still be in Australia and the army would probably still march into battle behind a drummer and wearing bright scarlet!!

Just to remind you, this is now the 21st Century.

whilst overlooking the puerile attempt to patronise me i'd just like to point out that 'country folk' in my area of the country are much less likely to vote tory than those found in the south east.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
so you would be happy if a tory government liberalised it then coupled it in a civil rights bill with fishing so to get rid of one you'd have to get rid of the lot?

The majority of fish are either put back or eaten. I have no problem if they are eaten, but as it goes, yes I do think fishing is cruel. Though ultimately I wouldn't compare it to the ritual chase and killing of foxes. Would you?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The majority of fish are either put back or eaten. I have no problem if they are eaten, but as it goes, yes I do think fishing is cruel. Though ultimately I wouldn't compare it to the ritual chase and killing of foxes. Would you?

My very thoughts too...if hunting foxes was legal, but dependant on those who did it eating their prey, do you think it would be anywhere near as popular?

I have caught fish to eat on a couple of occasions, and would quite happily shoot rabbits for the pot, but there is no way that I would hunt and eat dog!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
whilst overlooking the puerile attempt to patronise me i'd just like to point out that 'country folk' in my area of the country are much less likely to vote tory than those found in the south east.

Sincere apologies if you're offended but you started it with your 'myopic viewpoint of city folk' routine.

Two things that really piss me off about this debate are those that try to make it a class issue and those that try to make it a countryside v 'city folk' issue.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
This issue has been simmering away for awhile and I think when/if the Tories make the confirmation of having a vote on the issue it could be an issue that swings Brighton Pavilion into electing the first Green MP..

I can imagine the "Infinity Foods" Blues aren't into fox hunting much, after all, they all named their offspring after Tarquin the otter.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I get a bit annoyed with the "city types not understanding the country..." argument.

Not that I disagree with it, but it fails to acknowledge that a lot of people living in the country would have wanted it banned too.

I grew up in rural Sussex, my family are still there and were always unhappy about fox hunting without actively stopping it happening.

The problem I've got with it has nothing to with foxes, but to do with the dogs to be honest. In particularly the hyprocritical arguments about them that were used by the supporters around the time the ban was muted.

A lot of fuss was made about the thousands of dogs that would have to be prematurely destroyed. It was a bit of stupid argument to use to be honest, because it led people (like myself) to investigate what happens to the hounds.

Well the fact is that thousands of dogs are prematurely destroyed routinely, I understand at less than half their natural life very year.

Well we can argue that cows, lambs, chickens etc.. are all destroyed for food in a similiar way. But doing in the name of sport seems somewhat odd to me. To breed animals to take part in a fight then shoot them in the head when they can't quite keep up with the rest belongs to a different age.

I undertand the tradition and respect the history, but in my mind fox hunting is firmly filed alongside dog and cock fighting.

Slightly off topic the most bizarre demonstration I ever witnessed in London was by the Countryside Alliance.

It wouldn't have done anything to undermine the "Liberal Islington" view that it was simply an ancient past time undertaken by posh country types who didn't like being told what to do.

Like something from a past fuedal age, the posh landowners were drinking gin and tonics in the pubs around Westminster having prevously sent the farm hands down to the lower field (sorry Trafalgar Square) to beat up the rozzers.

I didn't see many horses, but I saw an awful lot of Range Rovers.

Whoever did their PR should be shot, or at least run across a few playing fields chased by hounds.

As for the Tories voting it back it, they'll have a bit of a problem now "Dave" has gone all green, cuddly and eco. I'm waiting for him to make use of that windwill and start grinding his own flour in Notting Hill.

I guess a fox burger in Dave's Artisan bread rolls may fool some of the punters at Borough Market.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here