Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take Terry to the Euros?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
there's a reason why Barry will definitely go and why he's starts for Man City every week, whoever's available - he's bloody good at what he does

Being painfully slow, and not particularly good at passing or tackling? Rather Milner in the same spot personally, gets through much more of a shift, tackles better, and can pass more creatively.

Barry is perfectly adequate, but that's his problem.

i think he has got to settle down in one position otherwise it is going to rape his international career at the least. obviously long term he should be first choice centre half in the next few years as that is where he is best, but shunting him into a number of positions where he can do a job isnt going to help him. you just have to look at how, when gareth barry started out, he played central, left midfield and even left back. it was only when he finally began playing regularly in the middle of the park that he became an england regular

Not sure I agree with this. I think it's pretty obvious that, long term, Ferguson thinks he will be a centre half. Playing him in a couple of other positions now is simply to help his game and positional awareness development.

I also think that Barry is a bad example. He played a few games for England at left back before the emergence of Ashley Cole, and then moved position at Villa to play left midfield and then central midfield. The reason that he didn't play for England for a while then was a combination of factors, including that there were better players in his position (i.e. Gerrard and Lampard), that he wasn't playing for one of the large clubs and that he simply wasn't performing well enough. He became an England regular around the time that most players hit their peak, 27, and maintained excellent form for long enough to establish himself with a big club and with the national team. It seems unlikely that he would have got in the Villa team, let alone the England team, if he'd played exclusively as a central midfielder at age 19.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting that Gerrard is a cert for many people. I'm not saying its wrong, merely that if another midfielder had played like he has (either mediocre or out injured) for the past two seasons, they wouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

Decent player but I think he's way past his best (and has rarely played for England like he used to for Liverpool). A lot of players round the England squad are living off their reputations rather than their actual form, Terry being another.

Interesting that Gerrard is a cert for many people. I'm not saying its wrong, merely that if another midfielder had played like he has (either mediocre or out injured) for the past two seasons, they wouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

Decent player but I think he's way past his best (and has rarely played for England like he used to for Liverpool). A lot of players round the England squad are living off their reputations rather than their actual form, Terry being another.

Fair point, but given that most people have excluded Terry and Ferdinand, who do you have as captain? You'd want an experienced player (rather than handing it to a novice in a major finals tournament) and the other senior players in/around the squad in terms of caps (Ashley Cole, Rooney, anyone else?) aren't exactly leadership material.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fair point and I think you're right in that I suspect he will go. But is Jones a jack of all trades, master of none? That is what worries me.

in a tight squad that will probably get you on the plane. Milner is probably first name down because of this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's SO much baggage with John Terry. Coupled with that, his long-time CB partner Rio seemed permanently crocked. Also, I don't really rate Cahill and think Chelsea have bought an ordinary player there.

Much as I love Ledley the case for him is no longer strong.

I'd go with Phil Jones, Lescott, Jagielka and Smalling for CB.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair point, but given that most people have excluded Terry and Ferdinand, who do you have as captain? You'd want an experienced player (rather than handing it to a novice in a major finals tournament) and the other senior players in/around the squad in terms of caps (Ashley Cole, Rooney, anyone else?) aren't exactly leadership material.

I think the captain's role is grossly overstated in football to be honest. In cricket, he makes the decisions. In rugby, he's the one who speaks to the referee. In football, it's nothing more than a fist pumping ceremonial role.

Every team needs players who are leaders on the pitch but it doesn't mean that they need to be captain. You want someone to get the players going sure, but that could be and should be anyone. Aaron Ramsey is Walea captain & isn't obviously the inspiring type. It's largely a nominal thing.

I'd be quite happy for any regular, apart from Rooney (clearly too likely to be sent off) to do the job.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I wouldn't take Terry or Rio, as I think both look completely shot.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the captain's role is grossly overstated in football to be honest. In cricket, he makes the decisions. In rugby, he's the one who speaks to the referee. In football, it's nothing more than a fist pumping ceremonial role.

Completely agree, and we should go back to naming a squad, then a team, and THEN a captain for that match, just as we used to do pre-Beckham. Standing down as England FOOTBALL captain, was just a significance that Beckham built into the role, and the FA lapped up because he was teh posterboy anyway. There is absolutely no need for it to be that big of an issue, as it just creates more problems for teh manager as there is a ridiculous fuss if he ever thinks about dropping the player that hold the title of England Capt.

Ridiculous, and we should stop this nonsence immediately.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
the fewer billy-bigspuds the better for me, I would like to see an england team playing to earn their shirts, rather than living off former (perceived) glories.

So Terry can spend the summer doing (as-yet-unawarded) community service

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the captain's role is grossly overstated in football to be honest.

i watched somthing that portrayed the club captian as being someone who organised social events, helped settle in new players and family, general sort of looking out for everyone, as well as be a everyday go between for squad and manager. they are usually expected to do more media interviews than other players.

obviously one might not like Terry helping in all aspects of their life.

But its interesting insight nonetheless, and i think it is more than ceromonial. I think its importance comes when you're backs against the wall, for someone on the pitch to take a lead. often they are defenders as you need that quality most in defence. Good sides always have a clearly strong willed and vocal leader as captain, even if you dont like them.

goofball

Aug 24, 2011
Putting the court case aside etc would you have Terry as part of your 23 man squad for the Euros? Me and my friend have both done squads and neither of us had him in based on how hes played this season- or Rio Ferdinand

Mine would be

Goalkeepers

Hart
Robinson
John Ruddy

Defenders

Richards
Walker
Cole
Baines
Dawson
Phil Jones
Cahill
Phil Jagielka

Midfield

Gerrard
Lampard
Parker
Young
Milner
Chamberlin
Walcott
Wilshere

Attack

Rooney
Bent
Wellbeck
Crouch

I would take Chamberlin if he develops with Arsenal this season otherwise would be Sturridge

Taken Crouch as he gives us another option up front

lol are you for real? be serious, next thing you'll be saying is Liam Birdcutt is england material probably..

Other than John Terry being the best centre half of the last decade then i dont know.. still the best england has which is worrying considering he is meant to be 'so slow', imagine if the guy was fast how good he'd be! Terry is a defo for euros, along with 'fat frank', danny sturridge and ash the bash.

p.s anti chelsea much! ;)

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
Anyone who says Lescott should go has no idea. He is the weakest link for City,time and time again makes mistakes/is at fault for goal. Kompany carries him and is the next position City will spend £20m+ on.

We need to play all the new and fringe players in the upcoming friendlies. No point playing the likes of Bent, Crouch and Defoe as they simply aren't good enough. Give Sturridge a go, maybe Wellbeck. Add to that Johnson needs a full game on the wing as does Chamberlin. Have a look at Rodwell too. All we ever do is take the same players or someone who is too young and wont play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here