Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would YOU take £50m for Ben White?

Would YOU take £50m for Ben White?

• Yep - I'll drive him to Arsenal myself

Votes: 250 85.9%
  • Nah - he's going nowhere on my watch

Votes: 41 14.1%

• Total voters

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Really dragging this out aren't they? This was basically a done deal about a month ago.

Good luck to him. Feel like we will be able to replace him in the sense that we will have / get a defender that is more than able to perform in a team aiming to finish 15th or above, but we won't replace his ability, naturally.

My only gripes are I feel we took a lower offer too soon and could have got another £10m and I also would have liked to see BW go to a club in the UCL.

Ateotd I suppose everyone just about wins. Need to retain the rest of the core squad IMO or we will have a hectic transfer window. Any more sales need to happen asap. 4 weeks until the new season.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Looks like it is going to happen.Unbelievable price for somebody who looked good rather than outstanding. Arsenal should have bought Dunk 2/3 years ago and he would have scored a few goals. Should enable us to buy a CF for £30/35m and a LB/WB for £10/15m

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If we DO indeed get around £50m for Ben White it provides some insurance against a resurgence of Covid over the autumn/winter and another "lost season". I know "Freedom Day" is less than 48 hours away, but I'm sure the club have a cashflow scenario which includes that possible eventuality. Covid cost the club £25m in 2019/20, and one would assume it cost a lot more in 20/21. If the pandemic continues (with limitations on attendances) for another year, then there are going to be plenty of clubs with massive financial problems. If Arsenal are willing to part with £50m, then let's grab it quickly and boost the coffers, just in case....

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Don't forget Kante to Chelsea for £30m+

That happened 5 years ago yesterday.

That money now seems on the decidedly low side for a player of his impact - Kante was only 25 then - but Chilwell also went later for £50m.

Leicester aren't afraid to reinvest when it comes to quality - Tielemans was signed for £32m, Perez £30m and Fofana £36m.

It's distinctly possible that the club will double their money on Tielemans shortly with a potential £60m+ sale to Liverpool.

Either way, it's great business sense. Let's hope that the Albion's future transfer dealings, both in and out, are equally profitable.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Shame to see him go as the potential is huge. For the club this is a good deal, money in the bank, shows young players they can progress here and (hopefully) allows one of our other young centre backs a chance to show what they can do.

For White I’m not sure it’s a good deal. Personally think he would be better spending another season here before getting a better move to a club that will challenge at the top of the league. Guess his agent will be happy though, huge payday for him for doing absolutely nothing.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
£50m for our fourth best centre back last season?
Yes please

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
That's absolutely right. We have to let players go when bigger clubs come in. We develop talent, and sell it at peak market value, that's the clubs plan.

Young players will only be attracted to the Albion as a development opportunity if we stand by that process. Obviously we don't let clubs rip us off, like Arsenal originally touting 30 million for White, or Bayern looking at Lamptey last year for 15 million, but if a big club comes in and they offer us a reasonable amount, then we have to let them go.

I would say this is the first time that one of our players with big potential has moved on, but I would imagine there will be more in the coming seasons. I think from our point of view as fans, we'll probably start to feel a bit more confidence in the process once we see how the team copes and moves on with the replacements.

Exactly how I see it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Word via Brian Owen was that it would take a non-sensical offer. I don't know that £50m is what I would consider non-sensical (unless the reported sell on fee is, like, 75%). Given the 80m for Maguire, 70m for VVD (and how that transformed liverpool), 50m for White doesn't feel like it stretches to 'non sensical' (young, excelled in the Championship, showed he could make the step up to the premier league, impressing full internationals with the England team, young, home grown player).

On the other hand it would be Arsenal's third highest transfer spend, our biggest received by some distance. Accepting 50m in that context looks more reasonable. I mean look at Palace - willing to let Zaha go like he wants as long as people meet their evaluation of a ridiculous 100+m that no one else would value the player at. What message would it send to current and perspective youth players if we tried to suggest we wouldn't stand in a player's way as long as any offers meet our valuation, only to slap a ridiculously high valuation on them.

Last edited:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Sounds like you also dislike Maquire :)

I’m sure if White performs well at Arsenal he will be a regular with England.

Only when he gets away with a penalty and red card against Danny Welbeck , as i said in post 68 i thought he had a good Euro`s . Arsenal have a great history , but over the past 4 seasons they are not miles better than us , catching them up is achievable within the next 5 years if ( IF ) we can hold on to the family silver imho . The fact that what colour shirt you wear can affect your chances with the national team proves what i have been saying all along - Southgate is a massive Richard .

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
No I wouldn’t take £50m for Ben White and I’m gutted that it seems we have. If you want to progress as a club you don’t sell your best players especially if they are young with so much more to come. Shame.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No I wouldn’t take £50m for Ben White and I’m gutted that it seems we have. If you want to progress as a club you don’t sell your best players especially if they are young with so much more to come. Shame.
The BW sale has filled the covid cash black hole, you can’t really buy anyone decent until the books are balanced once again and you wouldn’t sell??? He had to be sold.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Bonkers to think we'll be out flashing the cash after this sale. The whole plan is to bring in all these youngsters and push them through the first team.

Mwepu was touted as being around £18m, plus the new keeper, that's around half spent already.

I wouldn't expect to see much more transfer wise unless Biss goes for £40-50m as well.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bonkers to think we'll be out flashing the cash after this sale. The whole plan is to bring in all these youngsters and push them through the first team.

Mwepu was touted as being around £18m, plus the new keeper, that's around half spent already.

I wouldn't expect to see much more transfer wise unless Biss goes for £40-50m as well.

..... and not forgetting that some of these youngsters we're hoping to push through cost more than Ulloa (and Murray and Zamora!)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good man and respect to you for admitting that. You weren’t the only one by any means. It was quite a split in the fan base whether to sell Ben to Leeds for that price.

I didn't advocate selling White to Leeds, but I could see there was a possible case to be made for pushing Leeds a bit harder (Bielsa apparantly has said Leeds would have stretched to £30M to get the deal done) because we were well covered at CB and had needs up the other end of the pitch - we even had to change to three at the back to fit him in! It would have made for a good debate at the time, but unfortnately due to the Leeds fans' shitehousery emotions took over, and any attempt to start the debate was slapped down pretty hard.

Still, three at the back worked pretty well, we got at least £20M more for him than we could have got from Leeds, and Webster now has a chance to go back to his more natural position as a right sided right footed CB! I'm in ................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here