Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would YOU take £50m for Ben White?

Would YOU take £50m for Ben White?

• Yep - I'll drive him to Arsenal myself

Votes: 250 85.9%
  • Nah - he's going nowhere on my watch

Votes: 41 14.1%

• Total voters

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
50 big ones is good , dont think he will go - not to Arsenal anyway, being Brighton hasnt stopped him getting in England squad, one more season on a lot more money with us and regular in England he will join a top four club , his agent no doubt wants the money, but i think the lad is grounded as proved by he can go anywhere at any level and fit in, its not like this is his last chance to move up , he may even fancy or been told by others take another season in a club without pressure , improve and then move to top four club.
Whatever happens i really admire Tony Bloom - other chairman already know we are not a selling club until we want to be - we have a massive Leader and im quite pleased we are offloading lots of players that have come and couldnt match the pace of Little old Brighton !
I wish Ben the best of luck he deserves it he is another Ulloa in that he keeps quite and i think he will have nothing but praise for the club when he moves on

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
And Maguire is now undoubtedly the best CB in the country. One more year of White and maybe we could ask for that..

I don't think he's as good as van Dijk (when fit). Who, admittedly went for £75m (or whatever it was) so it doesn't really change the point. Given the premium that English players attract that £75m would probably have been higher than Maguire's fee if he were English instead of Dutch.

We have to admit we made a mistake, we should have recognised his talent and brought him into the first team two seasons ago instead of sending him to Leeds. Two seasons developing with us, he might not have been so enthusiastic to move on, we'd have a 'connection'. But we don't and really can't stand in his way now.

I don't agree with this, if he doesn't feel a strong connection to us after being picked up and brought through our system for however many years, he wouldn't have done after one extra season in the first team. Realistically the overwhelming majority of players will move on if they get an offer at a bigger club with more money and a shot at winning things/playing in Europe.

There's also no way of knowing how he would have done if he'd been brought straight into the first team after his loan at Newport. Maybe he would have done well, but that's a heck of a jump. I don't think anybody needs to consider it a mistake or a bad decision. Ultimately everybody benefited from his loan at Leeds.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I think in fairness Maguire was also England’s first choice CB at WC 2018 prior to his move to Utd though. Whereas Ben didn’t get any minutes in the team at all.

True but Leicester had won the title just 2 years earlier and were considered a " Top " team at the time , not like " a team like Brighton " .

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think he's as good as van Dijk (when fit). Who, admittedly went for £75m (or whatever it was) so it doesn't really change the point. Given the premium that English players attract that £75m would probably have been higher than Maguire's fee if he were English instead of Dutch.

I don't agree with this, if he doesn't feel a strong connection to us after being picked up and brought through our system for however many years, he wouldn't have done after one extra season in the first team. Realistically the overwhelming majority of players will move on if they get an offer at a bigger club with more money and a shot at winning things/playing in Europe.

There's also no way of knowing how he would have done if he'd been brought straight into the first team after his loan at Newport. Maybe he would have done well, but that's a heck of a jump. I don't think anybody needs to consider it a mistake or a bad decision. Ultimately everybody benefited from his loan at Leeds.

I meant English CB but sure. Anyway white is a different kind of player - if he comes a good defender on top of his ball playing skills he could be the best we've ever had. Not confident Arsenal will develop him that way though.

Considering the connection he developed with Leeds fans in one season there, I think he would have developed a strong connection with us. If he had been a season later in his development I think Potter would have brought him straight in to the first team, but as his time coincided with Potters arrival it wasn't to be. And yes, most players would move on. I just feel a personal disconnect with him, which is a shame for someone who is one of the best ever talents we've ever had. Such a contrast to Zamora, for example. Pandemic hasn't helped of course.

Mistake is to strong a word, sure. For White his loan was brilliant for him, for us, not so sure, unless we consider 50m big ones a success. Many will, I don't because it's not my money and I'd much rather have the player than the money. His loan to Leeds became more about Leeds than White, and everything has developed from there. Last time I heard White being discussed on the radio, in the euros build up, the pundits were still talking about what position he played at Leeds, his attributes at Leeds and how that would fit into the England squad. It rankles - it shouldn't, but it does.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I don't think we made a mistake. That year's experience in the Championship helped to develop him enough, to walk into our team, last season. Had he stayed with us, it's possible he would still be like Alzate with an occasion appearance here and there.

Mistake is strong, sure, but either we admit that Bielsa was able to develop him in a way that Potter couldn't have, or that we are making a mistake with Alzate and others, or that White could have done it with us.

Ultimately though, Alzate is no White. Difference between top championship and bottom prem isn't as big as they make out. And plenty of players come straight into Premier league sides from youth teams or lower league loans and look immediately at home - Lamptey and Sanchez are just two recent examples with us, most of the England squad did that - but obviously it's an exercise in hindsight. Maybe if Potter had been in place a year earlier it would have been different.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mistake is strong, sure, but either we admit that Bielsa was able to develop him in a way that Potter couldn't have, or that we are making a mistake with Alzate and others, or that White could have done it with us.

Ultimately though, Alzate is no White. Difference between top championship and bottom prem isn't as big as they make out. And plenty of players come straight into Premier league sides from youth teams or lower league loans and look immediately at home - Lamptey and Sanchez are just two recent examples with us, most of the England squad did that - but obviously it's an exercise in hindsight. Maybe if Potter had been in place a year earlier it would have been different.

There's a difference between development and experience. There is also a gulf between the Championship and the PL.
I think BW was handled in the right way, but that's just my opinion.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I meant English CB but sure. Anyway white is a different kind of player - if he comes a good defender on top of his ball playing skills he could be the best we've ever had. Not confident Arsenal will develop him that way though.

Considering the connection he developed with Leeds fans in one season there, I think he would have developed a strong connection with us. If he had been a season later in his development I think Potter would have brought him straight in to the first team, but as his time coincided with Potters arrival it wasn't to be. And yes, most players would move on. I just feel a personal disconnect with him, which is a shame for someone who is one of the best ever talents we've ever had. Such a contrast to Zamora, for example. Pandemic hasn't helped of course.

Mistake is to strong a word, sure. For White his loan was brilliant for him, for us, not so sure, unless we consider 50m big ones a success. Many will, I don't because it's not my money and I'd much rather have the player than the money. His loan to Leeds became more about Leeds than White, and everything has developed from there. Last time I heard White being discussed on the radio, in the euros build up, the pundits were still talking about what position he played at Leeds, his attributes at Leeds and how that would fit into the England squad. It rankles - it shouldn't, but it does.

My main frustration about him going to Arsenal is that he's good enough to play for much better sides, unless Arsenal drastically improve over the next few seasons (and I don't see them seriously challenging for the title any time soon) it feels like a waste.

Reading that, it feels like the frustration is about your connection with White, rather than his connection with the club.
It is annoying when I read articles that still refer to his season at Leeds rather than his development with Brighton and full season with us in the PL, but that's all a sideshow really. In football terms everything's turned out about as well as good be hoped for, barring any niggles over exactly how much we should be getting for him. It's up to the club to spend the money well. Don't be like Homer, be like Homer's brain:

If I felt a strong connection with him I'd probably feel worse about him leaving, so in some ways I consider that a good thing

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
There's a difference between development and experience. There is also a gulf between the Championship and the PL.
I think BW was handled in the right way, but that's just my opinion.

It's popular to point out this gulf, and on a team level maybe. But it obviously wasn't a gulf for Dunk, Duffy, Webster, White. Nor was the gulf from the u21s too big for Lamptey, or from Rochdale for Sanchez. If you're good enough, etc etc

My point isn't that Whites development hasn't gone swimmingly for him, it has. My opinion is simply that he could have got to exactly the same level of ability by staying with us, without all the Leeds hoopla that has gone on, with more recognition of White as a Brighton player, more connection with us fans, and a departure that feels less business-like - which could also have added up to more moolah for the club. It 'could' have been a mistake in hindsight, let's leave it at that.

I just want to feel loved, I suppose! :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Maybe i am so hard wired to disliking palace , but i genuinely believe BW being a BHAFC player plays a big part with Southgate . I cant see him being overlooked if he played for one of the big six , which would mean it is definitely personal .

Sounds like you also dislike Maquire :)

I’m sure if White performs well at Arsenal he will be a regular with England.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's popular to point out this gulf, and on a team level maybe. But it obviously wasn't a gulf for Dunk, Duffy, Webster, White. Nor was the gulf from the u21s too big for Lamptey, or from Rochdale for Sanchez. If you're good enough, etc etc

My point isn't that Whites development hasn't gone swimmingly for him, it has. My opinion is simply that he could have got to exactly the same level of ability by staying with us, without all the Leeds hoopla that has gone on, with more recognition of White as a Brighton player, more connection with us fans, and a departure that feels less business-like - which could also have added up to more moolah for the club. It 'could' have been a mistake in hindsight, let's leave it at that.

I just want to feel loved, I suppose! :lolol:

I suppose I feel there is a connection with the fans because I saw him play in the League cup games and at the Man City game this season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The lad is genuine quality and the nearest I've ever seen to a young Bobby Moore, he has to be given the chance to step up and we can be well happy with the return on our investment. Good luck young man.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
My main frustration about him going to Arsenal is that he's good enough to play for much better sides, unless Arsenal drastically improve over the next few seasons (and I don't see them seriously challenging for the title any time soon) it feels like a waste.

Reading that, it feels like the frustration is about your connection with White, rather than his connection with the club.
It is annoying when I read articles that still refer to his season at Leeds rather than his development with Brighton and full season with us in the PL, but that's all a sideshow really. In football terms everything's turned out about as well as good be hoped for, barring any niggles over exactly how much we should be getting for him. It's up to the club to spend the money well. Don't be like Homer, be like Homer's brain:

If I felt a strong connection with him I'd probably feel worse about him leaving, so in some ways I consider that a good thing

Obviously your last paragraph is the thing I can't quite reconcile. But I suppose the only way we can try and keep the very best is by having that connection, a la Dunk. Losing them painfully is then the price we pay. We don't have to sell White, he's got four years on his contract, he's young, he's in the England squad, arsenal are not in Europe next season, his career is not being held back in the slightest by staying with us. Lesser players have turned down moves to bigger clubs. And yet this transfer seems to be going through with barely any fuss.

From which I deduce, we need the money and we need it now. Fair enough in that case, TB has thrown a huge amount at the club and I still moan about being charged £25 membership during covid season.... :lol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ultimately we have to. To show potential new signings that we will not stop them Moving on if the price is right. I’d prefer if he went to an actual decent team and do worry about him at Arsenal.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's a fantastic piece of business for the Albion let alone the fact that we already have a number of ready replacements.

Over the last few seasons, Leicester has been a great model in selling players for big money and finding decent value alternatives.

They replaced the likes of Drinkwater (£35m), Mahrez (£60m) and Maguire (£80m) with Ndidi (£17m), Maddison (£20m) and Soyuncu (£13m) - a total of £50m.

Selling White for £50m hardly makes Albion a 'selling club' or stepping stone any more negatively than Cup-winning Leicester are perceived as such.

It's good for all parties and should IMHO be viewed very much both as an Albion success story and a triumph of our approach to loaning him out.

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Heart no head yes , he's a fine player and one that will probably go on to be one of the best , I'd love him to stay at Brighton but I think as a business the club would be a bit foolish to turn that sort of money down .

With a good sell on clause it just makes good sense to sell considering the back up cover in that position.

I must admit the thought of him in a Arsenal shirt turns my stomach but I know the monies collected from White's sale will be wisely reinvested into the club so that's why it's easier to take for me personally.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Ultimately we have to. To show potential new signings that we will not stop them Moving on if the price is right. I’d prefer if he went to an actual decent team and do worry about him at Arsenal.

That's absolutely right. We have to let players go when bigger clubs come in. We develop talent, and sell it at peak market value, that's the clubs plan.

Young players will only be attracted to the Albion as a development opportunity if we stand by that process. Obviously we don't let clubs rip us off, like Arsenal originally touting 30 million for White, or Bayern looking at Lamptey last year for 15 million, but if a big club comes in and they offer us a reasonable amount, then we have to let them go.

I would say this is the first time that one of our players with big potential has moved on, but I would imagine there will be more in the coming seasons. I think from our point of view as fans, we'll probably start to feel a bit more confidence in the process once we see how the team copes and moves on with the replacements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here