Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Don't come back it's a s**t hole these days I don't mean specifically Brighton but Britan as a whole, year on year it's becoming more deprived a second rate economic backwater Brexit, Covid poor planning, economic meltdown , ten years of trying to pay off the 2008 bank collapse and we are now three times that amount to pay back, led by clowns who in turn are led by unelected and quite frankly unelectable advisers, no available work 3 million plus likley to out of work over next three to six months, litter everywhere, roads poor trains poorer an NHS that's constantly reeling from one issue to the next

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't come back it's a s**t hole these days I don't mean specifically Brighton but Britan as a whole, year on year it's becoming more deprived a second rate economic backwater Brexit, Covid poor planning, economic meltdown , ten years of trying to pay off the 2008 bank collapse and we are now three times that amount to pay back, led by clowns who in turn are led by unelected and quite frankly unelectable advisers, no available work 3 million plus likley to out of work over next three to six months, litter everywhere, roads poor trains poorer an NHS that's constantly reeling from one issue to the next

Yep.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I agree with you. I have friends who live in Athens in the Neu Filadelphia district. Like any big city, there are run down areas, and good bits. The Greeks are great with hospitality and very friendly. I love visiting but wouldn’t choose to live there permanently.

Not sure why but I've never had the feeling of wanting to go to Greece. I think working in Cyprus for a summer (I know, they're different etc etc etc) and experiencing the weird, insular and frankly unfriendly culture put me off Greece. I have Greek mates so I'm not sure why I can't get it through my thick skull that I'll almost certainly enjoy it very much. Maybe it's the island boozing image as well. No idea but I know I'm totally in the wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tough decision

Attachments

• E62F60BC-2A77-4386-A991-1AF2450962F6.jpeg
    E62F60BC-2A77-4386-A991-1AF2450962F6.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 108
  • F2B29E1B-FC9B-43DA-A045-19BB99BCAE46.jpeg
    F2B29E1B-FC9B-43DA-A045-19BB99BCAE46.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 107

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Btw the Valley Gardens work is almost complete and looks fantastic compared to what it was

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Born in Hove, live in Hove and would never consider living anywhere else in Brighton, particularly anywhere central or east. Brighton city centre is a dump sadly and the pubs bars and restaurants don't interest me and neither does the seafront.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Because 10 -15 years ago Shoreham had nothing going for it for a young person or family to be in. An ageing seaside resort isn't necessarily unpleasant, but economically it's unhealthy. Shoreham now has a much broader age profile. This means more money from business rates to pay for things like the bridge and pedestrianisation projects which are making the town a way more pleasant place to be than it was 15 years ago.

I disagree that Shoreham had nothing going for it. Can’t a town just be what it is without having to have a “vision for the future”?
But I take your point about investment for projects like the bridge.

Shame there is no attempt at striking a balance. From lovely ramshackle seaside town to pink brick and white slab paths in the space of five years. Shame.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I disagree that Shoreham had nothing going for it. But I take your point about investment. Shame there is no attempt at striking a balance. From lovely ramshackle seaside town to pink brick and white slab paths in the space of five years. Shame.

I wouldn't worry about the paths. There's nothing wrong with Shoreham's paths.

Towns next to the seaside up and down the country are faced with an exodus of youth and talent and have completely failed to stem this flow. Councillors from comparable towns would kill for the vibe, culture and economic vibrancy that Shoreham has at the moment (or pre-covid at least).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wouldn't worry about the paths. There's nothing wrong with Shoreham's paths.

Towns next to the seaside up and down the country are faced with an exodus of youth and talent and have completely failed to stem this flow. Councillors from comparable towns would kill for the vibe, culture and economic vibrancy that Shoreham has at the moment (or pre-covid at least).

Yes, I’m sure it’s very desirable to a certain type of person/business.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

The point is that there's now something for everyone. Shoreham beach is as sleepy as it ever was, as is the area up north of the station. But there's a much healthier mix of ages than there was. The fact that it's seen as a place where young families can go and set up is a credit to the work the council have done.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Born in Hove, live in Hove and would never consider living anywhere else in Brighton, particularly anywhere central or east. Brighton city centre is a dump sadly and the pubs bars and restaurants don't interest me and neither does the seafront.

I agree about east Brighton ( dull ) central ( noisy & anti social behaviour) Preston Park area is quite nice as is seven dials but I agree central Hove seems to have the best mix of beach life , facilities & not too busy and noisy . Wish I could afford a house there. Just a shame there isn’t a sandy beach !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The point is that there's now something for everyone. Shoreham beach is as sleepy as it ever was, as is the area up north of the station. But there's a much healthier mix of ages than there was. The fact that it's seen as a place where young families can go and set up is a credit to the work the council have done.

The problem with having something for everyone is that everyone comes.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Yawn.

..........Not in my back yard. That’s a lazy, poorly informed argument.

I can see your arguments for not being a NIMBY on this.

I disagree that Shoreham had nothing going for it. Can’t a town just be what it is without having to have a “vision for the future”?
....... From lovely ramshackle seaside town to pink brick and white slab paths in the space of five years. Shame.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Your tag line suggestions you like inclusion. Doesn't extend to the town you live in I see. But fair enough, if you don't like living there any more, maybe time to move on. Everywhere in the South East is going to become more populated, especially with the cutting of restrictions on planning.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
How old are you? Might make a difference. Brighton's a great city if you're relatively young, but personally wouldn't really fancy retiring there. Maybe choose somewhere just outside the city. Always fancied moving to Lewes - but it's soooooo expensive.

My thoughts too! Having lived in Sussex as a boy, then lived in Brighton and Hove as a young adult I absolutely loved the the place. Met the missus here as well. For years, after having to move to London for my job, both of us wanted to move back. It never happened and, although okay, Southampton is not a patch on the town “that’s assisting police with their enquires”.

We’re too old now (well relatively!) to move back and property prices are through the roof. So it’s a no unfortunately. The consolation though is coming over on the train on match days and doing the pubs before and after the game with friends. I still love the place despite all the bad press it gets. :love:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I agree about east Brighton ( dull ) central ( noisy & anti social behaviour) Preston Park area is quite nice as is seven dials but I agree central Hove seems to have the best mix of beach life , facilities & not too busy and noisy . Wish I could afford a house there. Just a shame there isn’t a sandy beach !

Last time I lived in the city, I lived in Hove and would like to go back there. If not there, Preston Park way would be great too!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My thoughts too! Having lived in Sussex as a boy, then lived in Brighton and Hove as a young adult I absolutely loved the the place. Met the missus here as well. For years, after having to move to London for my job, both of us wanted to move back. It never happened and, although okay, Southampton is not a patch on the town “that’s assisting police with their enquires”.

We’re too old now (well relatively!) to move back and property prices are through the roof. So it’s a no unfortunately. The consolation though is coming over on the train on match days and doing the pubs before and after the game with friends. I still love the place despite all the bad press it gets. :love:

Brought up in Sussex, now in London. Thinking of moving back eventually - but it wouldn't be Brighton, as much as I love it. Too much of a party town, I think, to spend one's later years! Love Lewes, but it's just ridiculous - £500k for a tiny terraced house.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree Lewes is getting expensive especially considering there’s not a huge amount to do there . Some people want a quieter life I guess .

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I agree Lewes is getting expensive especially considering there’s not a huge amount to do there . Some people want a quieter life I guess .

Depends what you want. It's just a really nice, historic town. Good choice of pubs, a new independent cinema, a little music venue, great local football club. Easy to get to both Brighton and London, and the Amex on your doorstep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here