Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you like to do a Palace?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
and be in the Premiership but with absolutely no chance of staying there?

In a dream world would you like to see the Albion go up this season even if we were getting whooped every week (live on tv a lot) next season?

Don't think I would as I remember that the time we spent in Div 1 (old premiership) was nowhere near as exciting as our rise from Div 3 to Div 1. It gets really depressing getting beat week in week out, especially being mocked by every other clubs fan as the Premiership gets such massive coverage

Sorry :(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, because it would mean we're in a different division again.

I think that if we get promoted again and relegated the following season that we'd hold the outright record for playing in different divisions in successive seasons.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why not ? Not all Paralasys fans are scum.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I have just been talking about this at work!! It would be ace!! One season of v.good revenue, we could just concentrate on a good cup run as like palace we'd have no chance of staying up.

Would be fanatastic for that one season of revenue though!!

Palace will be stronger for their seaso there, will they not get money for going down as compensation too? (may be wrong on that one)!

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Icy Gull said:
and be in the Premiership but with absolutely no chance of staying there?

In a dream world would you like to see the Albion go up this season even if we were getting whooped every week (live on tv a lot) next season?

Don't think I would as I remember that the time we spent in Div 1 (old premiership) was nowhere near as exciting as our rise from Div 3 to Div 1. It gets really depressing getting beat week in week out, especially being mocked by every other clubs fan as the Premiership gets such massive coverage

Sorry :(
So you wouldn`t want Brighton to have £36million in the pocket for getting promoted then. I think your chairman may have a different view on this as will most of your fellow supporters.
Surely enough you may come back down the next year like most promoted clubs do but with a much healthier bank balance.
Have a sensible view on this please.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Would you like to do a Palace?

Croydonbloke said:
So you wouldn`t want Brighton to have £36million in the pocket for getting promoted then. I think your chairman may have a different view on this as will most of your fellow supporters.
Surely enough you may come back down the next year like most promoted clubs do but with a much healthier bank balance.
Have a sensible view on this please.

Are you sure you haven't spent all the money and a bit more, and ;) How long are all your foreign mercenaries contracts? I get the impression that you are trying to paint a rosy picture of next season to compensate for being so shit this season :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Croydonbloke said:
The vote was in my favour sorry. I think your fan who posted this thread needs to think again?.

Are Palace messageboards really that bad?

Perhaps we should start a "Would you like to be a Brighton fan?" thread for you.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
£30 million should help you make your minds up?

palace now have a squad of internatinals who should be able to get palace back up if they were to drop.

plus if palace did not go up we would have had to sell players like johnson to balance the books now he's on a new five year contract

the premierships next new star Ivan Kaviedes

012_G.jpg

Last edited:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Charlie Oatway, Kerry Mayo and 'ahem' Paul Watson playing in the Premiership?

:lolol:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I would go up for the revenue and novelty factor alone. However, only on the basis that the player were prepared to take a cut in their wages should we get relegated straight away.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The problem for Palace is that after a season in the Premiership, all their players will have delusions of grandeur - like all their fans.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Do teams still get Parachute Payments when they get relegated from the top league?

Surely this would be a good enough reason to grab a spot in the Premiership for one season?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I think it would be impossible to not want to see our boys in the greatest division in the world. However, we wouldn't stay up and Withdean would really start embarrassing us, we would surely have the lowest average gate in premiership history.

Plus, when you look at recently relegated teams, I think we're actually higher than them all at the moment. Essentially it's all down to astute financial management and we'd probably be safe on that front so the relegation wouldn't hurt too bad but I still would rather we didn't have to endure a season of loss after loss, apart from anything else it's no good for morale, which is something Brighton have to be proud of at present.

My heart says maybe, but the head is saying 'do it for the money and the coverage'!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Icy Gull said:

Basically no difference from the season before last then.

It would clear all our debts and give cash available to build a strong Championship team for a sustained adventure in the premiership in the future with Falmer.

If nothing else it would be a laugh.

History shows what Wimbledon did with a crap ground and no fans so why not. The difference would be we would have Falmer on the horizon

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Do teams still get Parachute Payments when they get relegated from the top league?

Surely this would be a good enough reason to grab a spot in the Premiership for one season?
if you go up you will need a `parachute` as you will be free falling back down..

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Croydonbloke said:
if you go up you will need a `parachute` as you will be free falling back down..

Pot kettle black:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here