Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would this lot get us back up??

wilbar

Aug 15, 2005
Herts
If we go down which looks highly likely would this team get us back up?
Everyone keeps saying we need this massive clear out but we have no money...We will have a clear out as we have 41 players on the books..We may sign a few players but it wont be a whole new team as we would all probably like.. so have we got any hope with what is on our books at the moment?

Kuipers/Sullivan

Mcnulty
Elphick
Hinshelwood
Whing

Cox
Dicker
Bangura
Loft

Forster
Murray

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Whing- cant see him staying
Elphick- bigger club will prob come in for him
Bangura- only on loan, no chance of permanent deal in bottom tier!
Dicker- only on loan (not that good anyway)

Murray- hopefully hang on to him, as bigger clubs may not want to take the gamble after an injury raveged season.

Need to stregthen the defence...hopefully release mayo, stengthen the midfield: hopefully give loft a good run in the side. What we need is another dean hammond. And the attack is fine if we keep murray off the physio's table and in the side!

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
The only one that worries me is Murray...

But as he has been out for the second half of the season, does this still make him an attractive prospect to clubs at Championship level... Will the interest be the same from the likes of Cardiff City etc ... ??

I think the team you have listed is a fair assumption of the 09/10 team and if thats the case I feel confident that a playoff position is expected at the very least...

BUT WE ARE GONNA STAY UP !!!!!! Its gonna go to the last game of the season and I reckon we will switch places with Crewe on the last day !! (They have Leicester City for the last game of the season ya know !!)

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
İbrahim Tatlıses;2891067 said:
Why on earth would a bigger club come for Elphick, he's toss.

i think he's quality...loads of passion evident in his performances. love having gim in the brighton team! supported by the fact that he was our player of the season last year in the team that finnished 7th in the league!

wilbar

Aug 15, 2005
Herts
Can not see Elphick leaving..

Murrary to much of a risk for any one at the mo..he will tear league 2 apart next season then we will probably get a big offer for him...

Dicker has potential ...

The team has goals written all over it..but unless we get an experienced centre back like Butters to work alongside Elphick we will keep shipping goals..

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The talk of the squad being better than our league position is not right. They have consistently made mistake after mistake. How many chances to the players want? As someone said on the phone in yesterday the defence has leaked stupidly soft goals all season and the midfield's been useless. There must be a major clear out and as Harty rightly said, Slade must start, if he wants, with a blank canvas. We should start planning now.

I hope Whing and Murray will stay but surely they'll be off.

My shopping list would include;

A new goalkeeper ( Kuipers has been great for us but poor this season and it's time to get someone else in)
A new right back ( if Whing goes)
A new left back ( McNulty will not be ready for new season).
An experienced centre half to marshall the defence.
The midfield needs totally re-building to include; a captain and leader in midfield; a defensive midfielder/hard man...Oatway type and a box to box player capable of scoring some goals.
And if Murray goes... a new striker

I'd want to keep Sullivan, Whing, Hinshelwood, Elphick, McNulty,Cox, Forster (and make him the striker's coach as well as playing), Murray, Fraser & Davies.

The rest should go.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I hope Whing and Murray will stay but surely they'll be off.

My shopping list would include;

A new goalkeeper ( Kuipers has been great for us but poor this season and it's time to get someone else in)
A new right back ( if Whing goes)
A new left back ( McNulty will not be ready for new season).
An experienced centre half to marshall the defence.
The midfield needs totally re-building to include; a captain and leader in midfield; a defensive midfielder/hard man...Oatway type and a box to box player capable of scoring some goals.
And if Murray goes... a new striker

I'd want to keep Sullivan, Whing, Hinshelwood, Elphick, McNulty,Cox, Forster (and make him the striker's coach as well as playing), Murray, Fraser & Davies.

The rest should go.

Not Hinshelwood, otherwise good.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
GKs - Kuipers and Sullivan;

Good competition between them should keep them on their toes, and either one is adequate cover should the other get injured / suspended.

Defence - Whing, McNulty. Elphick, Virgo, Hinshelwood, El Abd and Cook;

Certainly enough there for League 2, and not bad for League 1 with some good coaching and stability. I could see the logic of trying to get an experienced old hand in to replace Butters, but after our experiences with Hawkins and Heath, I don't think we should go down that road again. We haven't got loads of dosh to splash around, so only add a defender if someone becomes available who is CLEARLY better than what we've got.

Modfield - Cox, Fraser, Loft and Hart;

Obviously where any money we have needs to be targeted. Of course, El Abd and Davies could also have roles to play in midfield, but it is still our big weakness - although I do think Fraser's come on a lot this season, and Loft played well enough yesterday to suggest that he might at last be coming through.

Forwards - Forster, Murray, Owusu, Davies and Gargan;

May be one forward too many, especially as OGH will want to be included in the mix too, but Davies can do a job at RM. Forster is probably approaching the end of his career, so time to see (especially in League 2) what Gargan can do if he gets a chance.

That gives us a basic squad of eighteen - a squad good enough for League 2, if a bit small. All the rest can go. Any money available for transfers should go to getting in a midfielder or two, providing that, unlike this god-forsaken season, we get in players who are better than what we've got.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
GKs - Kuipers and Sullivan;

Good competition between them should keep them on their toes, and either one is adequate cover should the other get injured / suspended.

Defence - Whing, McNulty. Elphick, Virgo, Hinshelwood, El Abd and Cook;

Certainly enough there for League 2, and not bad for League 1 with some good coaching and stability. I could see the logic of trying to get an experienced old hand in to replace Butters, but after our experiences with Hawkins and Heath, I don't think we should go down that road again. We haven't got loads of dosh to splash around, so only add a defender if someone becomes available who is CLEARLY better than what we've got.

Modfield - Cox, Fraser, Loft and Hart;

Obviously where any money we have needs to be targeted. Of course, El Abd and Davies could also have roles to play in midfield, but it is still our big weakness - although I do think Fraser's come on a lot this season, and Loft played well enough yesterday to suggest that he might at last be coming through.

Forwards - Forster, Murray, Owusu, Davies and Gargan;

May be one forward too many, especially as OGH will want to be included in the mix too, but Davies can do a job at RM. Forster is probably approaching the end of his career, so time to see (especially in League 2) what Gargan can do if he gets a chance.

That gives us a basic squad of eighteen - a squad good enough for League 2, if a bit small. All the rest can go. Any money available for transfers should go to getting in a midfielder or two, providing that, unlike this god-forsaken season, we get in players who are better than what we've got.

Agree with most of this, except:
Hinshelwood has to go. Not good enough. Same with Owusu. Not sure about ElAbd. Midfield is the area most in need of strengthening.

wilbar

Aug 15, 2005
Herts
We need 3 players to give us any chance a good centre back a creative centre midfielder and a leader a danny culip/charlie oatway someone to take the team and kick them up the arse we have missed this sort of person all season.Without these I doubt we will come straight back up.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We could have Ronaldo, Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard but wouldn't matter with our top class coaches of Booker and White as they would soon be shit.
Is it any surprise that any decent player we sign soon loses any semblance of form as soon as those 2 idiots get training them ?
You do have a point there. I'm assuming / hoping that RS will get his own back-room staff in (although to be fair, White didn't appear to be doing a bad job when Wilkins was here).

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
We could have Ronaldo, Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard but wouldn't matter with our top class coaches of Booker and White as they would soon be shit.
Is it any surprise that any decent player we sign soon loses any semblance of form as soon as those 2 idiots get training them ?

Hard to disagree with any of that, we sign someone, they start off ok but within a few training sessions with the dynamic duo any hint of talent or ability has been coached out of them.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I'll happily have Fleetwood back next season, doing well and scoring for Exeter.
But then again Elder (before injury) was doing well for Brentford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here