Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would Gus walk right now?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I think Gus needs to sit the f*** down and shut the f*** up with regards to Chelsea, IMO. He's under contract with us (not that means much mind, but still...), he's at a stage in the season where it really wouldn't take much to balls things up, and he comes out with shit like that??? He's not ready for a club of that size yet....one day, maybe but with an attitude like that he seriously wouldn't last five minutes under Abramovich. He should thank his lucky stars that he's in a job where he has the level of freedom he has - he doesn't have an Abramovich above him turning the screws, nor a Terry below him, undermining him at every turn.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think Gus needs to sit the f*** down and shut the f*** up with regards to Chelsea, IMO. He's under contract with us (not that means much mind, but still...), he's at a stage in the season where it really wouldn't take much to balls things up, and he comes out with shit like that??? He's not ready for a club of that size yet....one day, maybe but with an attitude like that he seriously wouldn't last five minutes under Abramovich. He should thank his lucky stars that he's in a job where he has the level of freedom he has - he doesn't have an Abramovich above him turning the screws, nor a Terry below him, undermining him at every time.

Eh? What exactly has Gus said?

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
Eh? What exactly has Gus said?

Brighton manager Guy Poyet on managing Chelsea in the future:

"That is my aim, everyone knows and I don't hide it. I want to go to the highest level and if it is in the Premier League with Chelsea then fantastic, if it is with someone else, then we shall see.

On the Blues' FA Cup win over Middlesbrough and Rafa Benitez's reaction to negativity among his own supporters:

"I can assure you I was not paying attention to Chelsea yesterday. I was not paying attention to the game, who played or who didn't play. I was paying attention to Huddersfield in quite a competitive game at Burnley. I had to watch for 90 minutes and it was interesting. That was my job.

"His reasons I don't know. We are all different. I would like to meet him and know the reasons, I am sure probably everyone would like to do that. It is very easy to make opinions about other people, what they do and what they say, but we never put ourselves on the other side so it is difficult to comment."

c/o BBC Sport Website

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brighton manager Guy Poyet on managing Chelsea in the future:

"That is my aim, everyone knows and I don't hide it. I want to go to the highest level and if it is in the Premier League with Chelsea then fantastic, if it is with someone else, then we shall see.

On the Blues' FA Cup win over Middlesbrough and Rafa Benitez's reaction to negativity among his own supporters:

"I can assure you I was not paying attention to Chelsea yesterday. I was not paying attention to the game, who played or who didn't play. I was paying attention to Huddersfield in quite a competitive game at Burnley. I had to watch for 90 minutes and it was interesting. That was my job.

"His reasons I don't know. We are all different. I would like to meet him and know the reasons, I am sure probably everyone would like to do that. It is very easy to make opinions about other people, what they do and what they say, but we never put ourselves on the other side so it is difficult to comment."

c/o BBC Sport Website

That is in answer to a question by the media, which is what it usually is in these cases. Gus has never said any different in the 3.5 years that he's been our manager.
I just wondered why Worthingite felt that he had to put his blood pressure up to such dangerous levels, by ranting like that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't think Gus would do a very good job at Chelsea, not because he's a bad manager, but because he won't get the time to change them to his style of football. Changing the culture of kick and rush at Chelsea will take a while, can you see Abramovitch keeping patients whilst John Terry gets his head around passing the ball?

If he is given time, it can only be for the benefit of the English game.*

*if he gets the job, which he probably won't.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
That is in answer to a question by the media, which is what it usually is in these cases. Gus has never said any different in the 3.5 years that he's been our manager.
I just wondered why Worthingite felt that he had to put his blood pressure up to such dangerous levels, by ranting like that.

It did seem like that didn't it!!! I actually wrote that in 3 bits lol!!!!! Every time I wandered off to blow my nose I'd come back and get riled again!!!!! Just a bit annoyed, at such a crucial point in the season, that Gus is seriously going to undermine our squads confidence in him by trotting out guff like that. If it was close season, then not a problem, but considering Rafa will be there till May, and that he has work of his own to do, why bother potentially putting his squad and his employers noses out of joint with comments like that?!?!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It did seem like that didn't it!!! I actually wrote that in 3 bits lol!!!!! Every time I wandered off to blow my nose I'd come back and get riled again!!!!! Just a bit annoyed, at such a crucial point in the season, that Gus is seriously going to undermine our squads confidence in him by trotting out guff like that. If it was close season, then not a problem, but considering Rafa will be there till May, and that he has work of his own to do, why bother potentially putting his squad and his employers noses out of joint with comments like that?!?!

As I said before, when the media ask him a question, he answers it honestly and has said exactly the same thing the whole time that he's been here. It doesn't worry me one iota because I don't think the timing is right for him or for Chelsea. Gus has managed his career quite well up to now and I don't think he would just up and leave if it didn't suit him or his timing. I quite like the fact that he pointed out that he had a job to do and was doing it.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
In taking sides utterly nowhere, being a bland monotoned bore, who would put off around 30% of season ticket holders of ever wanting to renew.

Gus will go. We are a great prospect for probably dozens of top managers. I do not fear the future post-Gus in the way I used to fear the future post-Adams (first time!) post-Coppell, post-Taylor.

That will in fact be the real legacy that Gus leaves for his part in our revelution and reawakening.

We are no longer tin pot, shit ground, no money, no future..........

That will be an interesting day and one that I do not fear. I do not want him to leave and I don't think the Chelsea job is a great fit for him either now or in the future to be frank - all the while Adolf Abramovich is there it may glitter - it is though not gold.

However, leave he will and I will be interested rather than terrified when I read the news he has gone.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Would you also like to see a 'target man', 4-4-2 and none of that god-awful passing that we insist on?

Get it up to the big man QUICK.

Sounds like the chap behind me in the North stand.

Every game - 'Not f***ing sideways - bang it forward. Hit the channel'

It's embarrasing. What is worse is these little dweebs that hang around with him thinking they are in the presence of a great mind of football.

He is in fact an utter twat. Frighteningly he appeared at the Burnely game with a new little dweeb - and then spent 20 minutes telling him why Bridge never made it for England (!!!??) - he is too relcutanct to get it (and I quote!) 'In the f***ing mixer early doors'.

It's sad, frightening and a worry that people like that exist.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sounds like the chap behind me in the North stand.

Every game - 'Not f***ing sideways - bang it forward. Hit the channel'

It's embarrasing. What is worse is these little dweebs that hang around with him thinking they are in the presence of a great mind of football.

He is in fact an utter twat. Frighteningly he appeared at the Burnely game with a new little dweeb - and then spent 20 minutes telling him why Bridge never made it for England (!!!??) - he is too relcutanct to get it (and I quote!) 'In the f***ing mixer early doors'.

It's sad, frightening and a worry that people like that exist.

In the last game Vicente beat 3 men, played a one-two with Bruno and then had an attempted through ball cut out.

A bloke behind me shouted "That's AWFUL!".

:lolol:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Don't think it's that crazy from OP. Even that dimwit at Chelsea must realise what a monumental f*** up he has made with managers over last few years and will be looking for a popular choice now. Gus' name has been branded around a bit as a potential choice from a few high profile names.

Saying all that I think it's highly, highly unlikely. But if an approach was made some point in the next 6 months, anyone who doesn't think gus would jump at the chance is kidding themselves.

Gus would be about as popular a choice as Rafa with a considerable section of Chelsea fans. The reaction when he was backed in to favourite with the bookies a few weeks ago tells you that.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I cant help but think that Abramovich is not that astute at all.

When you hear the stories of how he has amassed that fortune you do wonder whether the allegations about him and his business practices have not actually stood him good stead when it comes to challenges of running a succssful football club.

Yes he has checked gazillions at it and had some success.

But the idea that they are building a leagacy and a footballing behemoth to stand the test of time and challenge United is a joke.

They are somewhere between Arsenal and Blackburn. Arsenal are trying (not well i grant at the moment) to build a footballing leagcy and have the financial stabiliy to do that over a number of years now regardless of changes at board level.

Chelsea have done better than Blackburn in that they have bought more than one trophy but fast-forward th clock 10 years and I wonder where that West London club will be sitting.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I constantly see people beating Abramovich with the fact that he has persevered with Torres, I f***ing would too if I paid FIFTY MILLION QUID for a guy that, at the time, was a great player. I rekon if I had pissed away FIFTY MILLION POUNDS I would have trouble accepting the lad has turned shit overnight as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here