Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would Butters be Player of the Season if...

Would guy Butters be Player of The Season if he hadnt been auctioned on eBay for £5?

• Yes - he is a professional who would have been player of the season anyway

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • No - being auctioned on e-Bay for £5 made him sort himself out

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
IMHO no , i think both hinslewood and coppell tried but failed to get through to him that little stunt worked!

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Yeah it was great to get his kids bullied at school wasn't it?

Can we put him up for auction on eBay this week. Reserve price: £1 million. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Or will that make him play shit next season ??? ???

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
He will be playing shit next season.

Wimbledon (Div 2) or
Leeds (Div 1)

:lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I wonder if he made an acceptance speech.

"I'd like to thank my mum, my dad, my wife & kids, Edna for helping me sort out my fitness regime..."

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
It gave him a massive kick up the backside. Wonder if it would work for any of the other players?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With respect, Gerbil, all that stuff with E-Bay or whatever it was, went online at the end of July-start of August.

Now I don't know what school Guy sends his kids to, but it must be a pretty damned expensive one if they're still having lessons in July and August....

Butters himself was probably a little piqued when it all initially kicked off, but I honestly believe that the thing about his kids getting stick was just Oatway bullsh*tting, trying to stick up for his mate.

Firstly because the kids wouldn't have been at school at the time, and secondly because he's a Division Two footballer- a small internet/Sun newspaper article about his weight troubles is hardly going to register in the consciousness of every 10-year old in Hampshire is it?

Fact- Butters was overweight and crap last season- find me someone who disagrees.

Fact- since the E-Bay thing, he's lost weight, been both solid and extremely consistent in defence, and impressed sufficient numbers of fans to be voted Player of the Season.

I'm not suggesting it's ideal to slate players who are underperforming on all occasions, but something kicked Butters into gear this season, and I doubt it was the undying support of those who said we should never ever criticise players.

PS Well done Guy, a worthy winner IMHO.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
So had Butters not been the subject of a cruel joke by so called fans of his club he would have been happy to stay overweight and performing at a lower than accceptable level of his profession?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PPS- no I don't think it would work for all players.

In the same way that some people respond to stick and some people need praise, I doubt Leon, for example, would take kindly to being auctioned publicly!

He'd be straight back up the M23 before you could say "triple somersault with pike".

Anyone else here think Leon's probably secretly gutted at not winning Player of the Season?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
fatboy said:
So had Butters not been the subject of a cruel joke by so called fans of his club he would have been happy to stay overweight and performing at a lower than accceptable level of his profession?

For what it's worth Fatboy, long before the Ebay incident, I heard from a number of Gillingham fans, who were of the opinion that Mr Butters was indeed content to stay overweight and sit in the reserves, as long as he took home his pay cheque at the end of each month.

So maybe he would have done the same with us, who knows. Sometimes we all need a wake up call in life...this could just have been his ticket out of the easy life?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It wouldn't work for everyone. That's true. An example of which was me being called Fatty Bighead in the park the other week. I'm no more slender now.
Although, their slanderous chants of "virgin" have made me want to have some sex again.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not feeling guilty at all Marshy, he got the votes because he's played consistently well against considerable odds. Good god, from where he was last season, he deserves all the applause he can get for such a huge turnaround in form.

We all get stick in life, why should footballers be immune if they're clearly not doing the job?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If you are a professional footballer and you let yourself get in the state he did then I'm afraid he has no one to blame but himself. We pay good money to watch professional football and to see a fat bastard grace withdean in the Stripes will always cause outrage! However, he has managed to completely turn himself araound and has become a brick in defence alongside Danny. For this he has my utmost respect. However, he is not worthy of an apology for the abuse he got for being totally out of shape last season. That my friends he brought on himself.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The fact there is a poll on Butters winning player of the season annoys me.

He wouldnt have been in my top 5 let alone the winner.
Its made a total farce out of the Player of The Season award in my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Marshy said:
The fact there is a poll on Butters winning player of the season annoys me.

He wouldnt have been in my top 5 let alone the winner.
Its made a total farce out of the Player of The Season award in my opinion.
Thats a bit harsh. Butters has been superbly consistant all season - I've lost count of the number of times the ball seemed to be attracted to his sizeable forehead all afternoon. What 5 Albion players would you have in front of Butters then ?

bobbyzee

Feb 17, 2004
Division 1
Everest said:
He will be playing shit next season.

Wimbledon (Div 2) or
Leeds (Div 1)

:lolol:
:lolol: :lolol: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here