Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Worthing & Lancing A27 Bypass - New Report

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm completely against cars in city centres. More trains, more clean public transport, bike lanes everywhere. That's the future.

But in this case, the primary road along the south coast of England is not the same thing. I don't want more roads, but I want roads where roads should actually be.

Very true but if that's the case why surround it was shops?
The 2 completely unnecessary junctions so people.can go shopping is what causes most of the problems.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes agree but self righteous people often resort to such rudeness. Becoming stroppy is part of their mantra, keep saying the same thing but never having a true constructive solution. I have always said to my family and the people I manage don't just come to me with a problem but come to me with a solution to an issue. Challenge the expected, think expansively and we'll see where it takes us. Show initiative. Just moaning shows lack of intelligence. Be empathetic and not just think of oneself.

How to solve the transport issue and the infrastructure needs collective thinking and yes there will be some heavily affected. New roads should be built and existing ones bettered, this may need people losing homes, land being bought but the issues we have in Sussex have been issues for over 4 decades, it's not new. Congestion is one thing but serving communities is another. As in my previous post the infrastructure to Hastings is so poor it keeps the town on poverty and one of the poorest in the country. In towns within centre limits should have completely free to use public transport, paid for by the council's. A parking tax put on all private carparks to offset the cost of transport. Free park and ride. Vehicle free zones, apart from public transport and permit holding service vehicles.

I also add all public transport should be in public ownership but run by properly paid business astute leaders, not politicians. All pay and conditions set by an independent authority with elected members and de-unionised.

There I've had a go.

Forgive me for working and being unable to reply in enough time for your likely.
As I wasn't the one of us who started with the name calling, I suggest you take ownership of your own words before being critical of others.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All you West Sussex people moaning about a little bit of road. East Sussex 7.4 miles of dual carriageway in the whole county. The main road north to south the A21 is no more than a country lane.

Once you get past Lewes East Sussex is like a 75 year time warp.

It has a lot of appeal, if you're not in a rush for anything.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Personally I don't think there should be any major new roadbuilding in Sussex.

Yes, the traffic is horrendous. But if you use those roads, especially the east west route through west sussex, then you'll have to put up with it.

If you don't want to put up with it, change the time you travel, or use the perfectly good train route, or find work closer to where you live. I don't take pleasure in saying that, as I know it's harder for some than others, but asking people to do those things, to me is far more preferable than concreting over our countryside

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Yes, the traffic is horrendous. But if you use those roads, especially the east west route through west sussex, then you'll have to put up with it.

If you don't want to put up with it, change the time you travel, or use the perfectly good train route, or find work closer to where you live. I don't take pleasure in saying that, as I know it's harder for some than others, but asking people to do those things, to me is far more preferable than concreting over our countryside

I live in Worthing and work in Brighton. 15 miles and it takes over an hour. One accident on A27 and one bit of roadworks on A259 and I work from home. That is not 21st century travel.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes agree but self righteous people often resort to such rudeness. Becoming stroppy is part of their mantra, keep saying the same thing but never having a true constructive solution. I have always said to my family and the people I manage don't just come to me with a problem but come to me with a solution to an issue. Challenge the expected, think expansively and we'll see where it takes us. Show initiative. Just moaning shows lack of intelligence. Be empathetic and not just think of oneself.

How to solve the transport issue and the infrastructure needs collective thinking and yes there will be some heavily affected. New roads should be built and existing ones bettered, this may need people losing homes, land being bought but the issues we have in Sussex have been issues for over 4 decades, it's not new. Congestion is one thing but serving communities is another. As in my previous post the infrastructure to Hastings is so poor it keeps the town on poverty and one of the poorest in the country. In towns within centre limits should have completely free to use public transport, paid for by the council's. A parking tax put on all private carparks to offset the cost of transport. Free park and ride. Vehicle free zones, apart from public transport and permit holding service vehicles.

I also add all public transport should be in public ownership but run by properly paid business astute leaders, not politicians. All pay and conditions set by an independent authority with elected members and de-unionised.

There I've had a go.

Didn’t you call him a ‘wind bag’ and without adding anything to the discussion - is that what you mean by self righteous or is that just hypocritical?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Once you get past Lewes East Sussex is like a 75 year time warp.

It has a lot of appeal, if you're not in a rush for anything.

What a ridiculous comment, ffs. Have you ever even been east of Lewes? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd stay and argue the point but Wednesday afternoon is half-day closing at Finefare so I need to get on or I'll have no bread for the weekend.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I live in Worthing and work in Brighton. 15 miles and it takes over an hour. One accident on A27 and one bit of roadworks on A259 and I work from home. That is not 21st century travel.

Is the train not an option? (or 700 bus route?)

I'm not having a pop in case it isn't, but I reckon a huge percentage of the car journeys on that road could easily done by train (well not this week) and in most cases it's just a change of mindset needed

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Didn’t you call him a ‘wind bag’ and without adding anything to the discussion - is that what you mean by self righteous or is that just hypocritical?

Probably but at least I didn't swear at him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

So to my point A21 most dangerous road in the the UK the Trainline single tracked in places going to London from Hastings, limiting the amount of trains to run safely. It's the very reason there's hardly any good jobs around the Hastings area. It's not people in cars that need good transport it's businesses.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

I'm not having a pop in case it isn't, but I reckon a huge percentage of the car journeys on that road could easily done by train (well not this week) and in most cases it's just a change of mindset needed

Unfortunately being disabled, no they aren't.

The point I am trying to make is the A27 is a farce. You can clearly see it was designed to take contraflow traffic near the tunnel but not once in its lifetime has this happened. They just prefer to close the lot. Even during an accident causing miles of tailbacks.
The A259 is worn out so as soon as they fix one pipe, another one leaks. It just can't take the volume of traffic.

If you watch the motorway programmes on tv, there are plently of major roads 'up north' and yes I remember the Yes Prime Minister explanation about the M4/M40 and M11.

Down here there is 'bugger all' apart from the M25/M23/M3 and that doesn't really deal with the east-west traffic through Sussex.

The A27 through Worthing is wide enough to make it a dual carriageway from Lyons Farm to Swandean. Yes the residents alongside the road wouldn't like it but most have bought their houses with this hanging over it anyway.
It doesn't need to be 70 mph just four lanes and relatively freeflowing.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I have recently gone down to 1 car and on the odd days I need to be at the office in Brighton I have been getting the train. It’s £22 return to get into work for my hours which is only 19 miles away from my home. For £22 I get to ride in a dirty old decaying carriage with pretty horrific reliability (already 1 cancellation and two 30min + delays in 4 trips).

If I was in the office more I would have kept the car as more than once a week in the office and it is far cheaper and more convenient to own a car.

So all for public transport but needs bringing and pricing into the modern era to be a feasible alternative to a car for many

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably but at least I didn't swear at him.

So it's ok for you to call out someone and lie about them, as at the exact moment was writing a reply

But it's not ok for the person on the recieving end to take offence.

I'm glad I now know the rules for living in your world.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Needs a complete new bypass from Shoreham fly over to Patching, Yes it will mean cutting through the countryside but it needs doing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have recently gone down to 1 car and on the odd days I need to be at the office in Brighton I have been getting the train. It’s £22 return to get into work for my hours which is only 19 miles away from my home. For £22 I get to ride in a dirty old decaying carriage with pretty horrific reliability (already 1 cancellation and two 30min + delays in 4 trips).

If I was in the office more I would have kept the car as more than once a week in the office and it is far cheaper and more convenient to own a car.

So all for public transport but needs bringing and pricing into the modern era to be a feasible alternative to a car for many

Yep it's ridiculous.
I use the train now most weekends and that service is decent.

But £22 to get along the coast in potentially overcrowded and can be grim trains crazy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Needs a complete new bypass from Shoreham fly over to Patching, Yes it will mean cutting through the countryside but it needs doing.

What are you proposing when that road then needs a bypass?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I won't argue that trains shouldn't be cheaper and better.

Though I would argue against the notion public transport is inherently unsuitable for the disabled.

I'd also argue that if there's investment in national Infrastructure investment it should be on public transport rather than widening roads.

I also think that about half of people would drive from Worthing to Brighton even if trains were free. Attachment to cars for some is a question of status, public transport is for the plebs. I'm not accusing you or anyone else here of this, as I don't know you. But I do know that people need to be nudged away from cars and into other forms of transport and spending finite resources on compulsory purchases houses in Worthing to put roads through their front gardens is not the way to go about this.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So it's ok for you to call out someone and lie about them, as at the exact moment was writing a reply

But it's not ok for the person on the recieving end to take offence.

I'm glad I now know the rules for living in your world.

Lie?

You appear to be a very angry person.

Please chill.

You made a statement in capitals, which I take it means shouting, which is plainly not the answer to everything.

Think you'll find I try not to have too many rules in my life. I like people to be able to express themselves and I hope in doing so it will not be detrimental to me or others. Similarly how I conduct myself I hope is not detrimental either to others and especially me. I'm first to admit I haven't always been perfect in that but we all live and learn.

Think you'll also find I wasn't offended in anyway. I'm honestly not sure I've ever been offended in my life. If one thing losing my wife this year has taught me, getting worried what some poster/person/entity thinks of me life's too short to be bothered.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I won't argue that trains shouldn't be cheaper and better.

Though I would argue against the notion public transport is inherently unsuitable for the disabled.

I'd also argue that if there's investment in national Infrastructure investment it should be on public transport rather than widening roads.

I also think that about half of people would drive from Worthing to Brighton even if trains were free. Attachment to cars for some is a question of status, public transport is for the plebs. I'm not accusing you or anyone else here of this, as I don't know you. But I do know that people need to be nudged away from cars and into other forms of transport and spending finite resources on compulsory purchases houses in Worthing to put roads through their front gardens is not the way to go about this.

Have you tried getting on a crowded train or bus in a wheelchair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here