Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Worthing & Lancing A27 Bypass - New Report

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
take it out over the channel run a bridge between the wind turbines that way save money on the concrete piles, job done this engineering is a piece of p155.

Having driven Key West in Florida can’t be that difficult

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
All you West Sussex people moaning about a little bit of road. East Sussex 7.4 miles of dual carriageway in the whole county. The main road north to south the A21 is no more than a country lane.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is paralysis by committee. The only way the A27 will ever be materially improved is if there is some sort of 'Road Tsar' appointed in order to weight up the arguments then come up with the most pragmatic solution.

The section of road between Clapham and the Shoreham Flyover is depression in tarmac form.

The Chinese would have had this sorted in a couple of years.

which would then be veto'd by local groups as unworkable/ruins (un)pristine downland/interferes with bat population. too many BANANAs in south-east, the A27 has been left as testiment to them and we'll never have serious development.

theboybilly

boik

Had that this morning. Builder had parked his pickup in the pavement completely blocking it. When I went to talk to him about it he said he didn't want to block the road. It's a two lane road with a pavement only on one side. I guess us pedestrians don't count

Edit . Should have quoted the dog walker's inconsiderate driver post.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Road Tsar sounds like a countryside/fauna/flora/scenery destroyer. No thanks.

Far more of the Brighton Bypass should've been tunneled. But as with Twyford Down, the authorities at that time were blatant liars, who didn't truly give a sh@t about nature or downland.

If something must be done, maximise tunneling and shorten the route.

The V-shaped bypass idea via Washington is laughable, thought up by a how-can-I-maximise-the-use-of-energy idiot.

theboybilly

All you West Sussex people moaning about a little bit of road. East Sussex 7.4 miles of dual carriageway in the whole county. The main road north to south the A21 is no more than a country lane.

All of those A roads (including the Eastern A27) are only really busy in rush hours. With a little effort that traffic could be reduced by moving to other modes of transport. Easily. But people are lazy. You really think dualling these roads will ease congestion when all evidence suggests otherwise? Billions are being spent on roads, billions that could be spent more wisely. Nearly £2m was spent on 'upgrading a roundabout over the M1 nr Bedford to save a rush-hour journey 9 minutes across to the A1. Get out of bed earlier for God's sake.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Lucky they're not building a shitload of new developments along that route and in other areas of the county with poor road infrastructure like between saltdean and seaford.

Oh...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1439894193434923009[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not quite sure a 13 lane highway makes the case.

im also unsure why cyclists would be against bypasses that take traffic, especially larger vehicles, away from town.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
N
Had that this morning. Builder had parked his pickup in the pavement completely blocking it. When I went to talk to him about it he said he didn't want to block the road. It's a two lane road with a pavement only on one side. I guess us pedestrians don't count

Edit . Should have quoted the dog walker's inconsiderate driver post.

Lol…I’ve had this from a resident of a property opposite where I’ve parked (outside my customers house)…”can you park on the pavement so I can take a bigger swing into my driveway” ….oh so where do the pedestrians go …”don’t worry about them,they don’t count

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve been walking a lot more now I have a dog. It’s amazing how dominant the car is in our lives, how rarely it is for a car to give way to a pedestrian or anyone else. The lack of consideration is amazing, like indicating is only for other cars for example.

I do own a car so trying to be far more gentle in my driving approach, but when I basically hear the answer to climate change is just swap all the fossil vehicles for EVs and build more roads - it’s a bit of a Homer doh! :facepalm:

I have no dog …and walk enough in my job …but I try to be considerate to cyclists, pedestrians and other car drivers as I swing from job to job …not perfect but I try

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I can't see why they can't duel what they already have. Close off some right turns, there is space to do a 4 lane road from Swandean to Lyons Farm, limit it to 40mph max, and put up average speed cameras. I recall they have similar in the centre of Nottingham, created the same way perhaps 20 years ago. Sure, a few trees will have to come down, and a few people won't be able to turn right where they have always been able to, but it would provide dual road in both directions, which would improve 2 into 1 the bottlenecks which is where the problems seem to arise.

I agree but that was the the original plan back in the 80s(?) when they even bought up a large stretch of houses along the route to do just that. Many local councillors are rumoured to have done rather well out of that but that may just be an urban myth.

As someone that goes that way very regularly my feeling is that it is not that bad other than during rush hour. Doubt it is worth the money any more.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
All of those A roads (including the Eastern A27) are only really busy in rush hours. With a little effort that traffic could be reduced by moving to other modes of transport. Easily. But people are lazy. You really think dualling these roads will ease congestion when all evidence suggests otherwise? Billions are being spent on roads, billions that could be spent more wisely. Nearly £2m was spent on 'upgrading a roundabout over the M1 nr Bedford to save a rush-hour journey 9 minutes across to the A1. Get out of bed earlier for God's sake.

Take it you don't use the A21? The most dangerous road in the country statistically. This is not just in rush hour, believe me I live next to it. It is no better than a country lane.

I'll add train to London takes 1.35 from Robertsbridge 43 miles, London from Birmingham takes 1;25 103 miles.

Hastings council spent load on encouraging new business to the area, a number indeed arrived only to leave due to the pathetic infrastructure. Other modes of transport are easy for some others impossible.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just build one to the north of Lancing and Worthing.

Only a few fields. Tunnels and cuttings will sort it.

Hopefully they'll leave enough room to build another one, 20 years after that.

MORE ROADS ISN'T THE ANSWER.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
not quite sure a 13 lane highway makes the case.

im also unsure why cyclists would be against bypasses that take traffic, especially larger vehicles, away from town.

If that's what it did then it would be fine.
But it's not.
I guess you would be in favour of leaving that stretch of the A27 for cars and building a specific HGV ONLY trunk road?

The plan is to make life easier for single occupancy 2 tonnes killing machines to move a distance of 3-5 miles a little quicker.
Thereby creating the desire for more of the said vehicles which in turn will create the need for yet another bypass.
(I write not only as a car driver, but a driver who's teaching his son to drive)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here