Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing Herald (The Pompey Pages)

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
I also work there, and I believe there was a problem at the printers in Portsmouth this week, which is probably why Pompey pages has got printed into the Herald.

There certainly wasn't meant to be anything about Pompey in the paper, nor will there be in the future. If anything, we're planning on doing more stuff with/about the Albion in future.

Can we expect an apology? If not for the amatuer 'editing' but the stress this may have caused to young albion fans.or just a promise that a local paper is local and not written by a printers in Portsmouth.

I wonder how the herald will treat the Albion when we are getting 22000 at. Home.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually I think he's just being a bit premature. Judging by other threads if you're coming from west of Brighton it's going to be a bit of a nightmare to get to (and away from) Falmer by train; it will involve at least one change and an inordinate amount of queing. For a lot of 'westies' Fratton Park will be easier to get to - by train and car.

To put my 'Withdean Wanderer' moaning, negative git head on for a moment I predict that pretty soon the lands west of Worthing will be 100% pompey. Chichester is more pompey than Brighton and it was even in the days when we were in the 1st divison; the inaccessability of Falmer will increase this erosion until the pompey hoards are banging on the gates of Worthing. Who knows? Worthing itself may fall and future pompey fans will complain abput Brighton articles in the Herald!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Worthing is more Brighton than Brighton.

I reckon that you are just about spot on with that comment, given the invading northern hordes (Londoners) who have moved to the city by the sea over the past couple of decades, you are more likely to find an Albion fan in a random selection of people in Wurving than Brian & Ove...maybe that also applies to places like Astings and Aywards Eaf.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Nobody has a right to a customer and the loyalty of the population of Sussex to the albion should not, but has been taken for granted. I even recall our "insider" saying that marketing does not work. A that point I gave up and thought that with views like that working for the club then there was very little hope. Tony Bloom however seems to have reversed that short sighted attitude and the club are supposed to be rolling out the school scheme into secondary schools. I wonder how they will taylor the sales pitch as "Gully" will not be cool to kids of 13 and above. In the modern day era of mass mmedia and a fast pace of life for kids, a few brains and alot of dive and a "can do" rather than a "cant do" attitude in the marketing department is as essential to the club in the long run, as buying a new centre forward for this season. As for the worthing herald, well if that is not a ake uup call to the club then nothing will be. Personally I would get the albions marketing department to re apply for their jobs and get them all to wriite me a marketing plan on how to sell to differnt age groups in different areas of Sussex before I re employed them. Time for Tony Bloom to bare his teeth and kick some backsides.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Spot on Jamie...how do you fancy a job in the marketing department at the Albion?

Out of curiousity...how would you go about the very task that you point out needs addressing as a matter of urgency?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Spot on Jamie...how do you fancy a job in the marketing department at the Albion?

Out of curiousity...how would you go about the very task that you point out needs addressing as a matter of urgency?

I have a job in another profession but honestly , yes I would love to run the marketing department at the Albion. It would be a job and allot more.

How would I do it? well there are different levels and it is a massive question, that could have a long answer.. In short however, i would turn it into a highly professional results based department. It should not be run as a hobby and should be as professional as any department that you would find in the city. I would insist on marketing plans being written and I would go back to the basics and look at all the elements in the marketing mix and see what can be affected by me and work on those elements. As a taster the schools link up is something I emailed the club about 18 months / 2 years ago. I got no reply, but they obviously decided that it was blatantly obvious and should be done. It is in tself not a marketing plan, but just a small bit of promotion. The theme of the clubs marketing should be with the umbrella of Sussex, then looking at each town / area, as a Newhaven is different fom a Ditchling.

Either way it is not my job but those at the club who do have the job have never, so far performed. Questions have to be asked therefore. In the same way that the club has no right to a fan, nobody also has the right to a job unless they perform. Sounds harsh, but that is hat brings efficiency and drives things forward

D

Deleted member 2719

Brighton fans East of the counties should not ever underestimate the hatred for the Pompey Scum this side of the county after all they are eating rapidly in to our fanbase, but i like to think we can claw a few back as long as they don't get their new stadium for the next six or seven years.

To put them in a West Sussex Paper is just another insult to West Sussex - i have to put up with Pompey coverage on our local West sussex based radio station Spirit FM and doesn't it just wind me up.:angry::angry::angry:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
To put them in a West Sussex Paper is just another insult to West Sussex - i have to put up with Pompey coverage on our local West sussex based radio station Spirit FM and doesn't it just wind me up.:angry::angry::angry:

The fella who does the commentary for them on match days is totally OTT about Shi**mouth,he describes a 2ft tap-in as a 45 yard screamer.The sooner they get relegated the better.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Brighton fans East of the counties should not ever underestimate the hatred for the Pompey Scum this side of the county after all they are eating rapidly in to our fanbase, but i like to think we can claw a few back as long as they don't get their new stadium for the next six or seven years.

To put them in a West Sussex Paper is just another insult to West Sussex - i have to put up with Pompey coverage on our local West sussex based radio station Spirit FM and doesn't it just wind me up

Football...plastics aside...is a sport that is incredibly territorial, it splits cities and counties up in many parts of the country, where you live often defines the team that you will grow up to support. I know that this is a massive over simplification, there will always be kids dragged along to games because their parents follow a particular team, this may lead to allegiance to some team many miles from where you grow up.

However, I have always regarded places like Chichester, Midhurst and maybe even Bognor as being on the edge of our territory...if you permit me to use such a strong term to describe it...places that are probably closer to Pompey than Brighton. However, at around 10 miles from Brighton, Worthing must be considered our heartland when it comes to support...certainly "NOT" Pompey territory!

dolphin123

May 12, 2009
Littlehampton is the last stop for brighton fans. Barnham , chi , bognor are mostly plastic pompey twats. They dont understand they live in sussex. f***ing wankers the lot of em.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Littlehampton is the last stop for brighton fans. Barnham , chi , bognor are mostly plastic pompey twats. They dont understand they live in sussex. f***ing wankers the lot of em.

I work in Bognor and can confirm that it is Pompey !

It can be difficult to judge for sure due to the huge number of holidaymakers who hit Butlitz wearing Arse/Manc/Scouse/Chelski shirts. If you discount mainstream Premiership club shirts I would say that local shirts are split 9/1 in favour of Pompey and seeing a Brighton shirt is noteworthy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I had my pub in Midhurst Portsmouth fans far outweighed the Brighton fans but not vocally as I was there and wouldnt let anybody shout me down about BHA.

This is what makes the decision not to fit in game against Worthing all the more amazing!!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
100% correct, Littlehampton is Albion,Bognor is Shi**mouth.
You are also right that they are plastic twats.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I'm still very disappointed the Albion aren't playing Worthing in a friendly considering it's traditional and says thanks to all the Worthing Albion fans!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
To be fair though, Littlehampton has a Brighton postcode (BN17) while Bognor has a Pompey postcode (PO21). So you can't really blame the natives for having a bit of an identity crisis.

Yeah, don't go down the postcode route...I grew up in Storrington (RH20)...which is only 20 miles from Brighton and has bugger all to do with Redhill, or anything else from Surrey!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here