Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst UK Sitcom in history!

Painful Sitcoms we've all watched, which is the worst?

• My Family

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • Last of the Summer Wine

Votes: 29 23.8%
  • Goodnight Sweetheart

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Ronnie Corbett and "Sorry"

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The Upper Hand

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Chef (Lenny Henry)

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • To the manor born - cosy smugness incarnate

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Bread - It was popular thanks to its sunday veg out slot

Votes: 20 16.4%

• Total voters

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What about that politically correct SHITECOM with Jasper Carrot, an Indian wife and a kid in a wheelchair. Now that was some FUCKIN awful shite.

I have to confess to quite enjoying some of the options mentioned :(

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What about the late 70s/early 80's one with John Inman working in a rock factory in Littlehampton?
That made never the twain look pure class.

Take a Letter Mr Jones. A hilarious reversal of gender stereotypes and reinforcement of others.

Duty Free - as per Ednas post, any Costa based sitcom is cursed with rubbishness.

Goodnight Sweetheart - apparently adultery is fine if its in different eras, morally dubious at best.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Oh Doctor Beeching!
Enlisting the likes of Paul Shane, Su Pollard and Jeffrey Holland from the Hi-Di-Hi retirement home was doomed from the start.

Home James
2 words. Jim Davidson.

Teenage Kicks
From the sublime Vyvyan in the Young Ones to the ridiculous for Ade Edmondson.
Just how many stereotypes can one sitcom have?

After You've Gone
Nicholas Lyndhurst does it again.
Having watched a few episodes, I still don't know what the point of this is.

The Thin Blue Line
Ben Elton continues his sell-out from alternative comedy to luvvie mainstream mediocrity.
Lowest-common denominator scripts achieve the near-impossible in making Rowan Atkinson unfunny.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On the face of it's actually a lot easier to talk about the sitcoms that weren't crap. Off the top of my head the only two that seem to have endured are Only fools and Horses and Dads Army. Very hard to think of many more.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'm torn between the painfully cliched overacting of My Family, or the never ending, canned-laughter retirement home for elderly actors that is Last Of The Summer Wine. A toughie but I'll go for My Family on the basis that LOTSW is prob the only thing keeping some of it's cast alive.

We really do churn out some shit-coms here don't we? They STILL repeat Keeping Up Appearances on Sunday mornings:guns:

My Family, I can't believe that Robert Lindsay would demean himself over so many years, it's absolute wank.

Does anyone remember him in "GBH"? Now THAT was ACTING.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Butterflies (with Wendy Craig wittering on about having an affair and then not having one) was the most appalling unfunny tedious navel-gazing self-indulgent drivel I can ever remember watching. It might have been meant to be deep and meaningful and all that, or it might have been an attempt to turn Brief Encounter into a sit-com series; either way, it failed miserably..................

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There are lot missing: It ain't half hot mum, Love thy neighbour and Mind your language - all based around the single idea that foreigners/black people are funny

They are funny if your not to far up your own arse. Aint half hot mum was brilliant.

Vicar of Dibley. Dawn french has never been funny.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Friends, the golden girls, benson, cheers, mork and mindy.

All utter shite from the states

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
On the face of it's actually a lot easier to talk about the sitcoms that weren't crap. Off the top of my head the only two that seem to have endured are Only fools and Horses and Dads Army. Very hard to think of many more.

Fawlty Towers?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I can't believe you've got My Family on there. One of the best comedies of the past 20 years. It's been going for nearly a decade now, and 8million viewers every week can't be wrong.

:laugh:

most of those 8M viewers are watching in nursing homes or psychiatric wards and have no choice in what they watch.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
on the buses was complete bollocks-in fact quite creepy - a bloke in
his fifties tring to pick up young crumpet-looked on with nostalgia for some unknown reason

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bread - scouse humour bypassed me

Stumpy Tim

What was that awful Pauline Quirck comedy, with a blonde woman - they played sisters with their husbands in prison. With a slaggy older women (Dorian?) next door... Birds of a Feather I think. f***ing rubbish

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here