Worst road junction in Brighton

Which is the bitch of junctions?

• Seven Dials

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Preston Circus

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Fiveways

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Vogue Gyratory (Sainsbury's in Lewes Road)

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Roundabout by Palace Pier

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Old Boat Corner (Ditchling Road above the Bypass)

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • Clock Tower

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Woodchip said:
I normally just flick them the bird, and point at the no left turn sign. They normally give me a it of mouth but bollocks to them. All cabbies should be shot when they make an illegal turn, that in turn would half the cars on the road, lessening congestion.

I f***ing hate Taxi drivers! Nothing rarely gives me greater pleasure than issuing one a ticket for some minor road traffic offence, preferably when they have a fare too. And I must check their tyres, chassis number, Taxi License etc etc.......

Good call Easy 10 on the Pier roundabout! I usually just stick my blue lights on, close my eyes and hope for the best! The thing that annoys me the most about the Pier roundabout is drivers that pull across and block the friggin roundabout for traffic coming from their right, tossers!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't see this thread when it first came out, see, sometimes there IS an advantage in boucing old threads!

Good call on Old Boat Corner, didn't know it had a name but it can be a nightmare. They should chop down some of the trees and build a couple of mini-roundabouts there.

Can I add my own personal pet hate? It's the other end of Ditchling Road at the junction with Viaduct Road. All the traffic coming up from Preston Circus happily shoots through the lights (even on amber and red) - and then finds it can't go anywhere because it's stopped by the lights further down near The Level. The result is traffic coming up Ditching Road can't get through the junction as it's now blocked and that tailback adds to the gridlock. On Summer Saturdays it can take up to 15 minutes before the 26 bus can get through going up to Fiveways. Even on standard workdays when I come out of my office at lunch time there is often a tailback of irate drivers hoinking and swearing at people who've tried to get through before the lights change, found they couldn't and are now blocking Ditchling Road.

If any Council bods are reading this can't you make Ditchling Road / Viaduct Road a box junction? Then stick Xoox and some of his mates on it to dish out fixed penalties to all the tossers trying to sneak through.

PS - We don't want any cycle lanes up at Fiveways as only the uber-fit can cycle that far up.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
i also have to agree that coming along the old shoreham road going into preston circus (under the railway bridge) is a f***ing nightmare!

Also in lewes, the prison crossroads is a nighmare in rush hour!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I went to a full on all day session at the Hub in the middle of the Vogue Gyratory last weekend. We were causing more than a roadblock, it's no wonder the traffic is always so bad, everyone was slowing down to catch the tunes blaring out.

They ended up getting a council fine for the noise disturbance, but nobody seemed to care a shit as they made more money than they've ever taken in their history that day.

But in recognition of the original subject my vote goes for this junction as it's the junction I'm most frequently caught up on. It's also incredibly frustrating wanting to come from Bear road and up to Hollngbury that instead of going straight ahead to the road you want that's right in front of you, you instead need to go all the way round the BP garage and suffer more lights before then getting cut up by all the wankers tearing out of Sainsburys car park who won't let you into that far lane.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Vogue Gyratory for me!

At least the roundabouts have rules (well maybe not the dials) but at the gyratory it is almost designed for a collision!

You're waiting at the lights looking to go to Lewes. The lights change to green lulling you into a false sense of security. Off you go, suddenly you realise the traffic coming from Lewes has been RELEASED at the same time as you! You are coming from the left trying to get into the right lane, they are coming from the right trying to get the Sainsbury's on the left. NO ONE gives way! You floor it to get through a gap only to find the lights just around the corner have turned red!!!! ARGH!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Lammy said:
Vogue Gyratory for me!

At least the roundabouts have rules (well maybe not the dials) but at the gyratory it is almost designed for a collision!

You're waiting at the lights looking to go to Lewes. The lights change to green lulling you into a false sense of security. Off you go, suddenly you realise the traffic coming from Lewes has been RELEASED at the same time as you! You are coming from the left trying to get into the right lane, they are coming from the right trying to get the Sainsbury's on the left. NO ONE gives way! You floor it to get through a gap only to find the lights just around the corner have turned red!!!! ARGH!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I know what you mean there buddy!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
As a pedestrian, when crossing from the Gardens side towards the bottom of North Road and standing on that tiny piece of paving between the bus lane and the two lanes of traffic, where TSB is.

The buses hurtle round there and miss you by a couple of inches each time.

Scary biscuits.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'd now like to add the big roundabout at the junction of the A23/A27 next to the Q8 garage. The people using that roundabout are coming round faster and faster until they're up on two wheels - like something out of the Wacky Races.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
portslade station crossing takes a lot of beating.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Good Poll. I voted for Lewes Road because its almost f***ing unavoidable if you are coming in to town from the NE.

Preston Circus isn't as bad as it used to be pre bypass and anyone who drives along the seafront in Summer must be mad; so its your own fault if you get banjaxed by the Pier roundabout!

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Never turn right from Ditchling Road towards Lewes. It is a bastard of a hold up every time

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The roundabout when you come of the A23(entering Brighton) can get really busy as well.Have to go for 7 Dials myself

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
chips and gravy said:
Never turn right from Ditchling Road towards Lewes. It is a bastard of a hold up every time

Auctually thats a good call.A night mare trying to get to Ditchling Beacon from there

Seven Dials - total madness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here