Worst road junction in Brighton

Which is the bitch of junctions?

• Seven Dials

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Preston Circus

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Fiveways

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Vogue Gyratory (Sainsbury's in Lewes Road)

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Roundabout by Palace Pier

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Old Boat Corner (Ditchling Road above the Bypass)

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • Clock Tower

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters

The Large One said:
Just thinking - how many of these SLAG junctions are Lord Bracknell's fault? :lolol:
None of them.

I can only claim any sort of responsibility for two junctions in the city -

1. The much improved roundabout at the junction of Shelldale Road and Trafalgar Road, Portslade (a boon to anyone avoiding Portslade Level Crossing, by using St Andrews Road as a rat-run, just like the Mile Oak buses do); and

2. The southbound Grand Parade/Edward Street/Church Street junction with the bus lane that allows buses aiming for the Old Steine or Castle Square to overtake cars and get quickly across Edward Street. First time car drivers find it a bit odd that they have to be in the middle lane (not the right hand lane) if they want to turn right, but once they've cracked that, it works so much better than the previous arrangement.

My answer to the original question is - without a doubt - Old Boat Corner. Fortunately it's a bit out of the way for most Brighton drivers. If you've never tried it, it's well worth a visit (provided you have an hour to spare).

Last edited:

My mate John, who designed the series of bizarre junctions that get people into and out of Brighton Marina, would be VERY disappointed if he knew that his efforts hadn't been recognised on this thread.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell said:
My mate John, who designed the series of bizarre junctions that get people into and out of Brighton Marina, would be VERY disappointed if he knew that his efforts hadn't been recognised on this thread.
It's bizarre - crap even - but it works.

I used to work down there, and despite the fact the entrance to the Marina is REALLY ugly, there is rarely a traffic jam. Having said that, getting into the Marina eastbound is well weird. You either have to turn left up Arundel Road, then right and right again (Sheepcote Valley developers - take note), or you go flying past and do a big U-turn opposite the Ovingdean pitch and putt, and come in that way.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

The design resembles some concrete nightmare from Birmingham circa 1972, and the fact that you have to drive half way to St Dunstans and then double back on yourself to get to the Marina (if you don't go the shitehawk way) means it definately should be included. Good call Lord B
:p

D

Deleted User X18H

Cheeky Monkey said:
Yup. If you're coming from the Ole Shoreham Rd it's quicker to hook a left at BHASVIC junction then first right and down over the railway bridge onto Ldn Rd.
Ole Ole Ole Ole Shoreham Road Shoreham Road

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Preston Circus must be the real bummer. After one game, I decided to take a spin around the Clifton Hill Conservation Area. I made the mistake of going down Chatham Place instead of Dyke Road, and thought I would never get out of New England Road. No vehicle seemed to move at Preston Circus and loads of vehicles came from New England Street. A survey after the bypass was built said that traffic was reduced through Preston Arches by 25%, but it didn't seem to have gone down to me. I remember one time I made the mistake of going to the Goldstone from Lewes. It took me an hour to get from the Vogue Gyratory to the Goldstone, and traffic was solid along Upper Lewes Road. For lethality (is that a word?), there can't be many more dangerous junctions than Old Boat Corner. Another horrible junction used to be going from Nevill Road into King George VI Avenue. I quickly found out that it was better to go past West Blatchington windmill and turn at the traffic lights. The Aquarium Roundabout always seems to be completely solid to me, so probably matches Preston Circus close as the worst.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I remeber when back in Worthing and Lewes if i ever wanted to go into Brighton on a summer weekend i go tthe train far less hassle, didn't cost anything as i already had my season ticket for train for work anyway, plus no car means i could have few beers if it took my fancy. No rip off parking costs.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
seven dials by a mile!

when i was a stude i lived next to the dials and not an evening went by without one minor incident or other...the place is a driver's nightmare:(

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The dials was worse when all seven roads were two way.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
afters said:
seven dials by a mile!

when i was a stude i lived next to the dials and not an evening went by without one minor incident or other...the place is a driver's nightmare:(

I've seen people thinking they can go down Dyke Road towards Western Road. They then have to reverse back onto Seven Dials, and cause complete chaos. I'd also like to meet the goon who built the system at the bottom of Preston Park that makes you go half way up Stanford Avenue to get into central Brighton from Patcham/Preston, etc. TLO, you must have noticed a huge increase in traffic since that was done.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seven Dials and the roundabout Pier are both BITCHES. My brother crashed at seven dials a couple of years back because he was looking at the wrong lights. Mind you, he is a CLOWN. Then again, it's almost excusable at that place.

And the Pier roundabout is just dumb. The town seems to have been designed so that everyone who wants to drive to Brighton has to go via that roundabout at some point or other. Bloody stupid.

Fiveways is not exactly a crowd pleaser either - but only because you feel so vulnerable when you come from any of the turnings that aren't on the main road.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
West Hoathly Seagull said:
I'd also like to meet the goon who built the system at the bottom of Preston Park that makes you go half way up Stanford Avenue to get into central Brighton from Patcham/Preston, etc. TLO, you must have noticed a huge increase in traffic since that was done.
That system has been in place for as long as I can remember (at least 30 years) - I have only lived in Stanford Avenue for about four years.

Actually, Stanford Avenue is a fairly quiet road. I put Fiveways in, not for the Stanford Avenue approach (which actually is a doddle), but for if you wanted to turn right from Preston Drove down Ditchling Road, meeting the traffic wanting to turn right from Hollingbury Road turning right up Ditchling Road. Total mare.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As a pedestrian, I can happily nominate the junctions just above the Clock Tower, on the corner of Dyke Road and Western Road. You take your life in your hands crossing the road - especially when taxi drivers do an illegal left turn from Western into Dyke Road.

Far too scary.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
i think the most dangerous is lewes road gryatory- too many feeds at once, coming round to sainsburys - crossing lanes, puling out of the shop and garage carpark etc... then the other side you are left very exposed if the 4th car or later, to go up bear road

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Just suddenly remembered this old thread. After recently experiencing the "joys" of all those bloody traffic works in Hove and Brighton and hearing that Southern Water are going to be replacing EVERY water pipe in the town... when they dig up Kingsway they should allow cars to use Western Road etc.

And if anyone says use the bus I will lamp them.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The Large One said:
As a pedestrian, I can happily nominate the junctions just above the Clock Tower, on the corner of Dyke Road and Western Road. You take your life in your hands crossing the road - especially when taxi drivers do an illegal left turn from Western into Dyke Road.

Far too scary.
I normally just flick them the bird, and point at the no left turn sign. They normally give me a it of mouth but bollocks to them. All cabbies should be shot when they make an illegal turn, that in turn would half the cars on the road, lessening congestion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here