Worst road junction in Brighton

Which is the bitch of junctions?

• Seven Dials

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Preston Circus

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Fiveways

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Vogue Gyratory (Sainsbury's in Lewes Road)

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Roundabout by Palace Pier

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Old Boat Corner (Ditchling Road above the Bypass)

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • Clock Tower

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just thinking about the Public Inquiry and traffic, and the city grinding to a standstill if we have to go to Sheepcote Valley and yah de yah de yah, it got me thinking, which is the biggest bitch when it comes to road junctions in the city?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Roundabout by the Pier gets my vote mostly because nobody seems to know where the f*** they are going and what lane they need to be in. If there's ever a crash near there the whole town is f***ed.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Seven Dials. You either get ditherers who sit there for hours waiting for a gap or White Van Drivers who drive straight on without stopping.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Highfields Seagull said:
I'd say the Elm Grove, Freshfield Road, Warren Road, Tenetary Down Road (unless they've made that better since I last drove round Brighton).

Nope, still shit I'm afraid.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That roundabout by the pier is a SLAG. Turn up at that bastard on a sunny weekend and it turns into a complete free-for-all. Dopey tarts in their Cabriolets not knowing where they are or what the f*** they're doing, shithead motorbikes weaving in and out all over the place, boy-racer twats thrashing the bollocks off their Vauxhall Novas pissing themselves to get over and play with the F1 chicanes along Madeira Drive, spaced-out skanks high on toffee-apples and candyfloss leaping the barriers and dodging across cos they can't be arsed to walk 20 yards to the traffic-lights crossing, decrepid 80 year-old fucktards who can't decide whether to STOP or GO, so end up doing both about three times, almost guaranteeing you'll end up piling up their arse, suicidal cyclists who decide to join the maelstrom instead of use the cycle lane, and then proceed to weave into whatever f***ing lane they fancy and BOLLOCKS to your wing mirror...

...and to cap it all, it takes you the best part of an HOUR to get along the seafront past the Odeon just to take all that shit on.

No wonder I stay in Southwick.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
personally its sainsburys. in lewes road. coming back from a freinds house(BEING A RELATIVELY NEW DRIVER) and getting confused about which lane i needed to go all the way round and back towards the cemetry hill thingy. so i stopped across basically 3 lanes. ignored all the honks and evil glances and slowly moved into the correct lane. that wasnt to fun after my 3rd day of being a so called 'able-driver' :lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you are including Hove/Portslade, then it has to be the area around Portslade railway station. Just how long do the crossing gates have to be closed for, when there is no sign of a train. :angry:

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Easy 10 said:
That roundabout by the pier is a SLAG. Turn up at that bastard on a sunny weekend and it turns into a complete free-for-all. Dopey tarts in their Cabriolets not knowing where they are or what the f*** they're doing, shithead motorbikes weaving in and out all over the place, boy-racer twats thrashing the bollocks off their Vauxhall Novas pissing themselves to get over and play with the F1 chicanes along Madeira Drive, spaced-out skanks high on toffee-apples and candyfloss leaping the barriers and dodging across cos they can't be arsed to walk 20 yards to the traffic-lights crossing, decrepid 80 year-old fucktards who can't decide whether to STOP or GO, so end up doing both about three times, almost guaranteeing you'll end up piling up their arse, suicidal cyclists who decide to join the maelstrom instead of use the cycle lane, and then proceed to weave into whatever f***ing lane they fancy and BOLLOCKS to your wing mirror...

...and to cap it all, it takes you the best part of an HOUR to get along the seafront past the Odeon just to take all that shit on.

No wonder I stay in Southwick.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: thats post has made my afternoon!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good shout Dougdeep - Portslade Station is indeed a shitter.

I've had a few games of "chicken" there, travelling south. Can't be arsed to wait all night for the barriers to go back up, so I'll skip out of the queue and leather it down past the queing traffic, and hang a right into Victoria Road, just hoping no-one is on their way OUT of Victoria Road and up.

I'm a right wanker.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
dougdeep said:
If you are including Hove/Portslade, then it has to be the area around Portslade railway station. Just how long do the crossing gates have to be closed for, when there is no sign of a train. :angry:

I saw in the Argus a while ago that they were closing the gates at Portslade much too early - sometimes as soon as the train left Brighton Station!!!!! Causes so many problems around the junctions surrounding it, especially the Old Shoreham Rd/Carlton Terrace one. :angry:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
I have always had problems at Old boat corner usually turning right into Coldean lane. I also used to live in the Fiveways area, that used to be pretty bad as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Crazy Cornish Gal said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: thats post has made my afternoon!!
Thanks for listening.
I must admit, I feel better for having got it off my chest ;)

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Not usually had any problems at the pier roundabout, usually because I try to avoid it.
I do remember when taking my driving test 6 years ago I had to negotiate that roundabout twice in rush hour traffic, bloody examiner:angry: but I still passed :)

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
chez said:
For me it has to be Preston Circus and the lights before it coming down under the bridge. You always get stuch there and it usually takes about 20 minutes to get through. :angry:

Yup. If you're coming from the Ole Shoreham Rd it's quicker to hook a left at BHASVIC junction then first right and down over the railway bridge onto Ldn Rd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here