Votes: 0 0.0%
  • jason peake

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 13 11.9%

• Total voters

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
I'd add Alan Biley and Mick Ferguson to your opening list ..... For those who remember the Goldstone

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
Tilts, looked good playing for Worthing. Don't think he ever scored for us, but almost uprooted the goal in front of the North Stand in one game when he smashed the ball against the woodwork from 20 yards. Would have hit the actual Goldstone if there'd been nothing in the way. Can't remember him doing ANYTHING else

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Tilts, looked good playing for Worthing. Don't think he ever scored for us, but almost uprooted the goal in front of the North Stand in one game when he smashed the ball against the woodwork from 20 yards. Would have hit the actual Goldstone if there'd been nothing in the way. Can't remember him doing ANYTHING else

Think he scored one goal for us away against Barnsley I think

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
T'is a game of opinions and he did leave under a cloud as he fell out with Wilkins and sections of the crowd. However, I can remember some very poor performances from him at Withers. I was unaware that he suffered a serious injury and it looks like he played less than 100 games in his career.

It is a game of opinions and I won't begrudge you yours on his ability.

I will however take issue with the fact that you have stepped down from "slating the club and fans" to "leaving under a cloud". Even the latter I find interesting - presumably the main section of the crowd you are on about are the ones that absolutely pilloried him for making an honest mistake. Every fan I know who was at that game are embarrassed about the way our supporters behaved that day. After Wilkins first game in charge at Millwall when he had been dropped he still came over at the end in his tracksuit and applauded the fans. Anyways, I am 100% sure he never slated the club after leaving.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
a lot of those I never saw play but Richard Tiltman, OMG how useless he was. Also, what the f*** is barry Bridges doing on that list, or Teddy maybank come to think of it?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gislasson was total and utter shite. Mahoney-Johnson the same and how the hell did Peter Smith get voted player of the season? We had to watch some dross during those days, you could name 2 sides full of inept and shite players. How Doncaster finished below us is a miracle.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone who voted for other players than Michael Mahoney-Johnson obvisiously never went to our Gillingham <a class="ktg6us78hf8vdu7" href="#">home</a> and saw him...I won't say play because he did'nt...because he was on loan from a club in the higher league he thought all he had to do was stroll around the pitch...seen more life in Nelsons statue...I would'nt call him sh1te....he was'nt as good as that!

Absolutely this. I remember the game against Doncaster (who were truly, truly dire) and MMJ wouldn't have scored against that defence if he'd played until the end of the season.

There are some storming names on that list (Neal, Tiltman, Briley immediately spring to mind) but MMJ took ineptitude to new levels. The only other contender for worst player I've ever seen is Gislason - jeez, we saw some dire football that season, it's staggering that we weren't relegated.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
Dale Jasper was bad.
I played against Richard Tiltman a few times. Even though I marked him out the game in a Worthing league match once he still managed to score 8 times. How jammy was that.

Dandyman

In London village.
Without doubt. I remember his performance at Rochdale in particular. The worst impression of a footballer you are ever likely to see.

Damien Hilton - Utter shite
Graheme Smith - Poor
Wayne Henderson - Average
Les Briley - Okay in his time but past it when he came to Brighton.
Les Berry - As above
Willie Young - Again, as above
M.M.Johnson - Utter gash
Teddy Maybank - Inconsistant at times, but 'done a job'. Shouldn't be on the list.
Micky Thomas - Just here for the money. Waste of space.
Barry Bridges - Past it when he came to Brighton but did a job of sorts.
mark farrington - A sicknote who was dire. Not as dire as others though.
jamie Camebell - Was average but not that bad. Done a job.
mark walton - Done a job.
super market trolley - Poor but far from the worst.
geoff cooper - Out of his depth.
richard tiltman - As above
brian mckenna - As above again
gary hobson - No puller up of tree's but not that bad either.
jason peake - Had ability but a lazy shite. Was only here for the money.

Totally agree about Maybank - under-rated player in a very good team.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
how did Teddy Maybank get on this list? ???

Exactly ??? :(

Terrible call. Scored key goals in the promotion push, particularly at Luton curling 25 yarder for a point, key header in the Blackburn home game. Not to mention scorer of our first ever goal, in the top flight of English football at Villa Park.

How dare you!! :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know this will be unpopular with many, but I always feel everyone is a little harsh on Tilts as well, I think he was actually playing at the same level as we are now. Obviously, replacing Dean Saunders never helped his cause - he certainly scored a header at Oakwell - I think as another poster stated he was just out of his depth at the time. He might have been ok in League 1 or League 2.

Just think some of the others are more deserving of the worst player title.

Can we throw Mick Ferguson into the mix, journeyman centre forward, played at the same time as Tilts, but was useless and applied minimal effort.

It is a game of opinions and I won't begrudge you yours on his ability.

I will however take issue with the fact that you have stepped down from "slating the club and fans" to "leaving under a cloud". Even the latter I find interesting - presumably the main section of the crowd you are on about are the ones that absolutely pilloried him for making an honest mistake. Every fan I know who was at that game are embarrassed about the way our supporters behaved that day. After Wilkins first game in charge at Millwall when he had been dropped he still came over at the end in his tracksuit and applauded the fans. Anyways, I am 100% sure he never slated the club after leaving.

I have not stepped down from my comment that he slated the club & fans - which he did. You talk like he had one bad game for the Albion, perhaps you were not a regular at the Withdean , but as someone who was I can assure you he had a bad season with a string of poor performances. His name is not on the list for no reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here