Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Pitch you have seen a Game Played On ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The abandoned game at Swindon. We were 4-0 down at the time. :)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
ed_imgSNN2405E_540_346308a.jpg

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I remember a game at the Goldstone v Charlton where the South East part of the pitch had a mini lake on it!

That was in March '75 and most of the pitch was waterlogged. The game was a farce and should never have been played.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I can remember watching Match of the Day as a kid, when George Best rounded the goalkeeper and having guided the ball towards the goal turned away to celebrate another fine goal.

Only for the ball to stick in the quagmire inside the six yard box and for a defender to come along and hoof it away!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We didn't get to this one. I called off the trip before we started out.

Wise decision. I missed the replay. We lost that 2-1 but we were still promoted that season.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Before reading this thread, that's exactly the match I would have chosen.
If I remember correctly, the only player who came off of the pitch at the end of the game who didn't look like a chocolate soldier was Kit Napier, who didn't have a speckle of mud on him.
So how about v Southend at Withdean?

I remember the Southend game. the pitch was bloody awful and played a big part in us losing the match. I can remember some frustrated supporters shouting at Mickey Adams to quit.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Has to be Peterborough away in the cup when we drew 2-2...One of the Peterborough goals was comical goal where their player had a shot, Digweed had it covered and the ball his a mound of ice, went over Digweeds head and into the net...Bizarre!

Other than that, the Southend game as others have said on New Years Day about 10 years ago was awful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockport which resembled Blackpool beach more than a football pitch. I couldn't see a blade of grass for all the sand.

bha25

IN GUS WE TRUST !
Jan 9, 2010
Copthorne
Two games i remember Southend at withdean and also Rochdale lost 4-3 and if i remember rightly we were 3-1 up as well but not tooo sure

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Two games i remember Southend at withdean and also Rochdale lost 4-3 and if i remember rightly we were 3-1 up as well but not tooo sure

Just before Christmas I seem to remember - raining and sleeting :(

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Saw this on telly

Chelsea V Charlton 2003

Charlton result stands following pitch inquiry
Posted on: Mon 10 Feb 2003

The FA Premier League has announced that it does not consider the Stamford Bridge pitch for the game between Chelsea and Charlton Athletic on January 11th to have been an artificial surface and that the result of the game stands.

Charlton had made a complaint to the Premier League claiming this was the case but it has been decided the League’s rules do not classify the sandy surface prepared that day as artificial. The Premier League has also stated that it fully accepts the referee’s assertion that he deemed the pitch playable and would have done so had he been called in to inspect it the day before.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Aldershot match finished 0-0. It was impossible to walk on, let alone run, just like the Adur at low tide (in the boggy bits). Biggest waste of time of any match including York City.

In those days it had massive financial consequences with an extra 140,000+* supporters through the gates as a result of the draw.

* 29,000+ for the replay, 22,000+ v Notts County reserves, 35,000 v Chelsea, 56,000+ for the Stamford Bridge replay. In those days, for Cup matches the away team got a third of the gate money.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here