• Wave FM

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The cruddiest of the crud, which local radio station wins the prize?

It could be for the cringe-worthy, Smashy & Nicey DJs, the ability to turn any worldwide news story into a local issue ("Inquest Demanded Into Diana Death, By Surrey Resident Mohammed Al Fayed", "Peasmarsh-Based McCartney Divorce Turns Nasty" etc), or just the incessant, irritating adverts for the Number One Carpet Shampooing Company In Wivelsfield Green.

I see you've failed to include the option of Southern Counties Radio.

Presumably on the wholly reasonable grounds that the BBC have forgotten what local radio is.

Last edited:

1066gull

I've recently been listening to BBC SCR in the morning and quite enjoy it. It's not something the majority of my generation do.

I like listening to people throughout Sussex, as there is so much out there and many people I rarely don't get to do do a lot.

I do love this county as well, dunno how I will feel living in Hampshire next year.:(

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How could I forget SCR :eek:

You'll have to put that one under "other".

If all those interviews with bottle-garden afficionados, sherry tasters, slipper collectors and antique walking-stick experts from Guildford don't ring your bells of course

:lolol:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Adriodinho said:
I've recently been listening to BBC SCR in the morning and quite enjoy it. It's not something the majority of my generation do.

I like listening to people throughout Sussex, as there is so much out there and many people I rarely don't get to do do a lot.

I do love this county as well, dunno how I will feel living in Hampshire next year.:(

well if you can drive then you could always drive back ?

1066gull

edna krabappel said:

If all those interviews with bottle-garden afficionados, sherry tasters, slipper collectors and antique walking-stick experts from Guildford don't ring your bells of course

I agree, the rest of the BBC SCR schedule (apart from Albion) is utter boring shit.

But the Breakfast wake-up show is quite good and is better than that bag Nicky.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Martin & Sue and the Morning Crew" - Essex FM :shootself

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Kfm. Its the radio version of a local tabloid.

"SICK TWISTED KILLERS MORBID BLOODBATH MINORLY WOUNDS ONE IN NAAS" style headlines, opinion pieces by boggers where you could cut cheese on their accents, terrible terrible country music, etc. They seem to forget that "some" people in Kildare can get Dublin stations (the entire north of the county, where 3/4 of the people are), and don't even try to compete with them, so its all the really rural monkeys listening too...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nicky (as in Danny & Nicky) grates with me because of her cloying manner, she always strikes me as someone who would otherwise be working on a perfume counter in Debenhams if she wasn't on the radio.

And don't even get me started on the so called "wacky" Jack The Lad...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Adrie, I lived in Hampshire for 6 months. Not that bad. Right on the front in Southsea. Although, it may be better to concentrate on getting the grades to go to Portsmouth first!

I've hated Southern FM with a f***ing PASSION for many years now. Utter, utter cringeworthy shite. Shit DJs, shit adverts, bandwagon-jumping at every opportunity and pandering to the musical taste of bed-wetters everywhere.

Never listened to Mercury or 106.4, but have always liked Juice and Wave.

SCR is okay if only for the fact they broadcast Albion games (the fans' phone-in, however, is NOT a plus :jester: ).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bry Nylon said:
"Martin & Sue and the Morning Crew" - Essex FM :shootself

That's so painful it's almost funny!

Why do local radio station breakfast shows always have to have a "crew", a "gang", or some other happy, clappy group title, a la Danny & Nicky In The Morning?

Most other shows, possibly except drive time ones, just list the DJ's name, so how come we have to put up with their forced buddy-ness at 7am?

"We're not just DJs, we're a wide awake, cray-zee POSSE of them!!"

:rolleyes:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I personally quite like Danny and Nikki in the morning on Southern FM. Not fussed about it the rest of the time (although they did do two eighties shows a week last time i checked!!)

Brighton 106.4 is actually very good from a mid sussex residents point of view:clap:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Quite possibly the worst radio show in the UK must be 'Praise & Grumble' on BBC Radio Stoke. As the super descriptive title might suggest it's their version of the phone-in after Stoke, Port Vale and Crewe matches, it makes BBC SCR's daytime programme's seem positively interesting.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Al Bion said:
'Praise & Grumble' on BBC Radio Stoke.

Couldn't they just have called it "the football phone in"?

Praise & Grumble :lolol: it sounds like it should be a small Burslem firm of solicitors. Well, Praise, Grumble, Whinge & Gripe, maybe.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
edna krabappel said:

Yes, if I have to hear any more about old Mabel's hollyhocks or the presenter joshing with the travel people when I just want to know why I am sitting in a traffic jam I am going to go even more bonkers than I already am :angry:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Yes, if I have to hear any more about old Mabel's hollyhocks or the presenter joshing with the travel people when I just want to know why I am sitting in a traffic jam I am going to go even more bonkers than I already am :angry:

To be fair, I'm guessing you're somewhat outside their target age range of 75+.

Most SCR listeners only drive to the garden centre on Sundays, so they probably don't see travel news as their top priority. Whereas the weather forecast, for all those gardeners in Weybridge, well now you're talking!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
edna krabappel said:
Whereas the weather forecast, for all those gardeners in Weybridge, well now you're talking!

Yes, along with asking the weather forecaster what he/she had for dinner on Sunday, what colour car they'd like to own, etc, etc, etc, etc. Is there a more parochial radio station?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here