Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Lager

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I'm drinking Chang fron Thailand right now - it's strong, but like most lagers, gassy and not very pleasant. Had an organic lager from a Horsham brewery last week though, which was head and shoulders above most of the other fizzy crap, if a bit pricey.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
VB........with so many fine Australian beers on the market I constantly struggle to understand why so many Australians waste their time with this kack!?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Never was much of a lager drinker, but pretty much anything brewed by the Dutch, to have the Germans and Belgians as neighbours and still manage to produce bilge-water beer is pretty poor in my opinion.

You haven't been here in a while have you? The Dutch brewing scene is one of the most vibrant on the continent at the moment. The number of breweries is currently around 120, double what it was a decade ago. (And very near to overtaking Belgium...)

In terms of the big name lager producers it is true they are all pretty bland, but the same can be said of any country. Besides, if you're limiting your sights to lager, then the Belgian stuff is far worse than the Dutch. And always has been. Stella? Maes? Jupiler? No thanks...

If you're going to drink lager that isn't German or Czech, it's a minefield wherever you go.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You haven't been here in a while have you? The Dutch brewing scene is one of the most vibrant on the continent at the moment. The number of breweries is currently around 120, double what it was a decade ago. (And very near to overtaking Belgium...)

You are right there, I last left the Netherlands around eight years ago and I wasn't aware of the rise of the micro-brewery scene. The only thing I would say in its favour was that the brewery near where I lived, Ridder in Maastricht, brewed a really good white beer called Wiekse Witte...it was a bit like Hoegaarden and very, very drinkable.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
as im from Bognor we used to bunk into Butlins regularly as a youth....they used to serve thier own Butlins lager...it was cheap so we drank it at the time but it was awful..
20 years on i have never tasted anything as bad

stevet

Sep 21, 2011
They're virtually all tasteless crap. I don't understand why anyone would drink mass produced poor quality foreign products when there's so much great English beer around which is also cheaper.

Having said that, the pint of Pilsner Urquell I had at the brewery in Plzen was one of the best pints I've ever had. But that's because it was fresh, unpastuerised, unfiltered proper lager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here