Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Ground you been to?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Priestfield in the old days before Scallywag made the improvements.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Colchester and Southend are both shit. It's hard to believe that Southend is now actually better than it was when I first went in 1986.

Burnden Park was a disgrace as there was a supermarket in the way which meant as an away fan you couldn't see a quarter of the pitch! Luckily it's been pulled down.

And though it's a lovely ground, I always thought Anfield was incredibly overrated. Sheff Wed's kop is far more impressive (when full) than the one at Anfield.

Withdean & the JJB

I agree with the earlier poster who said that the grounds most call shit are usually the ones I call proper football grounds. My deep, deep love for Brockville (RIP) is a case in point.

I've posted this before (yes, Matt, I'm afraid this topic HAS been done before), so I'll get in the defence now, before anybody tells me that the JJB is great. It probably is when (if?) it is full to the rafters with Rugby League fans, but with a few thousands footie fans it's got less atmosphere tha n the Riverside - and that's saying something. It's not even architecturally interesting, unlike some of the dull, 'high-class with wonderful facilities' (copyright Five Live etc) all-seaters you find nowadays (e.g. the Reebok), although again the Riverside is poor here (something of a box, ain't it?).

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
To all those people who have replied with Withdean to this question I think you miss the big picture. Let us not forget what Withdean is.

Withdean IS a temporary home which facilitated the return of the Albion to Brighton. It is also fair to say that it’s unusual surroundings contributed to two successive championships at a time when most Albion fans would have accepted survival. Without Withdean we would still be playing at Pikeyville and Scally would have financed his 40,000 seater stadium (exaggeration maybe) from the pockets of the Albion.

On the basis of the above I propose a notion that when put into context Withdean really isn't that bad.

Sure, its now feeling a little tired BUT it is only a TEMPORARY home, Falmer is the dream and the dream is alive and when the curtain goes up on Falmer we will have a stadium to be proud of.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
chisinau_republican.jpg

This one

The Republic Stabium in Moldova could smell the toilets from hundred yards away and when it was needed to use walked into a dark hole where you couldn't see what you was doing.

Last edited:

BenElton'sBrother said:
To all those people who have replied with Withdean to this question I think you miss the big picture. Let us not forget what Withdean is.

Withdean IS a temporary home which facilitated the return of the Albion to Brighton. It is also fair to say that it’s unusual surroundings contributed to two successive championships at a time when most Albion fans would have accepted survival. Without Withdean we would still be playing at Pikeyville and Scally would have financed his 40,000 seater stadium (exaggeration maybe) from the pockets of the Albion.

On the basis of the above I propose a notion that when put into context Withdean really isn't that bad.

Sure, its now feeling a little tired BUT it is only a TEMPORARY home, Falmer is the dream and the dream is alive and when the curtain goes up on Falmer we will have a stadium to be proud of.

Well, of course. But, objectively, Withdean is shit. That's the point - that's why we are battling so hard for a new ground.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Macclesfield anyone? Loos there are even worse than in the Goldstone (RIP) North Stand.

As for Wigan, took the words right out of my mouth fatbadger:

" I'll get in the defence now, before anybody tells me that the JJB is great. It probably is when (if?) it is full to the rafters with Rugby League fans, but with a few thousands footie fans it's got less atmosphere than the Riverside - and that's saying something. It's not even architecturally interesting"

what an atrocious atmosphere when we played there a couple of years back - the stands are so steep that you're miles from the pitch. As for facilities - the Goldstone had terrible facilities but what a great stadium, that view when you got to the top of the stairs at the back of the North Stand for a night match......

as an aside, any fans on here that don't even remember the Goldstone? been what, seven years now?

Last edited:

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Turkey said:
Saltdean.

They still around ???

For me graced with Prem grounds they ain't that bad. Gillingham in FA cup was pikey central. They knicked the roof and urinals :eek:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
34064 Fighter Command said:
Plough Lane - don't supposed it's improved much !

The feckin council are useless. The whole place has been a pile of rubble for a couple of years now. I don't have a clue what they're going to do with it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Cant believe anyone has not mentioned Oldham.

It is colder than ...well a very cold place.

Haliax rightly deserved a mention. The Old Den was something out of a machievellan version of Hell

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Edgar Street? Last time I was there it was f***ing HEAVEN!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Colchester wins hands down - the song 'We'd rather have no ground' sound familiar?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dave the gaffer said:
Cant believe anyone has not mentioned Oldham.

It is colder than ...well a very cold place.

Haliax rightly deserved a mention. The Old Den was something out of a machievellan version of Hell

Halifax had built a brand new terrace 4 years ago with decent loos

Oldham last August was scorching hot (unusually)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here