Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst display by an Albion team for a long time.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
really? do shut up.. we lack a little up front and do sometimes over play.. thats all.. now step away from the computer and stop wasting our time

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Winning is good but we can't always win playing like Barca. The occasional ugly win is acceptable - last season we mainly rolled teams over but there were still some scrappy games. Grinding out the odd difficult win here and there often make the difference between being champions or just contenders. If we had shown more grit and won at Millwall after a scrappy first half or won last night having gone behind then I suspect many posters would be on here being a bit more realistic about how to suceed in the Championship.

The irony of last night's result is that we stick to playing footie mainly on the deck out from the back whereas WHU admired for years as one of the traditional good footie sides have settled for more of a hoof ball style. Surely they knew that when appointing Allardyce so must be a conscious decision to sacrifice style for results. We struggled to penetrate their defence but I also think they showed their experience in shutting us out. Look who is second in the Championship - not us! Not many on the WHU forums moaning about their result!

I dont want to see us sacrifice our style - but the odd ugly win is ok by me.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Winning is good but we can't always win playing like Barca. The occasional ugly win is acceptable - last season we mainly rolled teams over but there were still some scrappy games. Grinding out the odd difficult win here and there often make the difference between being champions or just contenders. If we had shown more grit and won at Millwall after a scrappy first half or won last night having gone behind then I suspect many posters would be on here being a bit more realistic about how to suceed in the Championship.

The irony of last night's result is that we stick to playing footie mainly on the deck out from the back whereas WHU admired for years as one of the traditional good footie sides have settled for more of a hoof ball style. Surely they knew that when appointing Allardyce so must be a conscious decision to sacrifice style for results. We struggled to penetrate their defence but I also think they showed their experience in shutting us out. Look who is second in the Championship - not us! Not many on the WHU forums moaning about their result!

I dont want to see us sacrifice our style - but the odd ugly win is ok by me.

are you ever not going to play long ball footie when you have got a 6'6" battering ram up front...? probably not. as you say that is allardyce's manner of play........i don't think we have "ugly" players at the moment...Mr Poyet is clearly is aiming for something.......

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I agree, Steve claridge was correct.

We either do not have the players that are good enough, or the style employed by Poyet isn't effective enough,

Swansea we aren't, and for a 'passing' team we are really not very good at passing at all. So many stray balls, all. the. time.

Why is CMS being played up front on his own all the time? If we wanted someone who could do that we should have held on to Murray.

We are playing just the same as Swansea did last season , they weren't perfect all the time. They got away with it because it was different , clubs are now aware of this and will counterract it

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
So despite the fact that we had 12 shots on goal (4 on target, 8 off) to their 7 (3 on, 4 off) and had 11 corners to their 2 we made no forward progress up the pitch? All we lacked last night was the final ball to unlock a resolute West Ham team who were there for a 1-0 win, had we been able to find that ball we'd have won the game.

Almunia - 1 save in 90 minutes

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
:bla:
West Ham were there for the taking. They really were not very good.

But apart from a few brief periods of the game, we were just awful.

Our passing was absolutely pathetic. Never seen so many stray balls. Most of the team seemed to have forgotten that we were the guys playing in blue and white stripes. Even Reyes got into the act .

Bridcutt! Less said the better. Once he's gifted them their goal his performance went rapidly downhill. Worst display by far from him. Painful, as he is such a key part of the team. IMHO Gus should have substituted him at half time.

CMS cannot play the loan striker role. He is useless at challenging for high balls. Why the hell don't we play two up front, at least at home? What is the point of playing Barnes or Hoskins (who are both strikers)on the wing?

No passion or commitment from most of the players for most of the game.

Controversial, I know, but I am fast losing faith in Gus. We are playing the wrong kind of game for this league. Our tippy tappy football gets us absolutely nowhere .... and very slowly at that. We must speed up our game and mix up our style of play so that we stop being so damn predictable. And as far as I am concerned he must take much of the blame for letting Murray go. With him still in the team we would be in the top four.

And from a personal point of view I am feeling less and less connected to the team. Apart from Noone, where are the "characters"? Maybe sitting up in the gods in WSU keeps you too far away from the action, but I really miss players like Charlie, Chippy, FDM, OGH and others who may not have been the most talented players to ever grace an Albion shirt, but at least you knew they were giving 100% all of the time.

Unusually for me, I am feeling very depressed about our chances for the season. Without a massive improvement in a number of areas we will surely struggle.

Mega moan now over.
cor if you had a brain cell it would be lonley

Quagmire

Jul 29, 2011
Quaghog, Rhode Island
New guys looked good in my opinion, particularily Reyes. I thought we put in a 'decent' performance really, calling it the worst display by an Albion team for a long time is incredibly over the top and completely wrong.

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
West Ham were there for the taking. They really were not very good.

But apart from a few brief periods of the game, we were just awful.

Our passing was absolutely pathetic. Never seen so many stray balls. Most of the team seemed to have forgotten that we were the guys playing in blue and white stripes. Even Reyes got into the act.

Bridcutt! Less said the better. Once he's gifted them their goal his performance went rapidly downhill. Worst display by far from him. Painful, as he is such a key part of the team. IMHO Gus should have substituted him at half time.

CMS cannot play the loan striker role. He is useless at challenging for high balls. Why the hell don't we play two up front, at least at home? What is the point of playing Barnes or Hoskins (who are both strikers)on the wing?

No passion or commitment from most of the players for most of the game.

Controversial, I know, but I am fast losing faith in Gus. We are playing the wrong kind of game for this league. Our tippy tappy football gets us absolutely nowhere .... and very slowly at that. We must speed up our game and mix up our style of play so that we stop being so damn predictable. And as far as I am concerned he must take much of the blame for letting Murray go. With him still in the team we would be in the top four.

And from a personal point of view I am feeling less and less connected to the team. Apart from Noone, where are the "characters"? Maybe sitting up in the gods in WSU keeps you too far away from the action, but I really miss players like Charlie, Chippy, FDM, OGH and others who may not have been the most talented players to ever grace an Albion shirt, but at least you knew they were giving 100% all of the time.

Unusually for me, I am feeling very depressed about our chances for the season. Without a massive improvement in a number of areas we will surely struggle.

Mega moan now over.
were you even at the match :tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here