Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst away attendances at an Albion match

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have seen enough far flung games to see any really small Albion away attendances, lowest about 300.
I saw the Albion against Oldham at the Goldstone in the mid-80's (a Friday night for some reason). There were only 4 of them in the NE away corner. Also only about 25 for Swansea at the Goldstone in 1993 on the east terrace on a Tues night...

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Lowest for me have been Cardiff in the League Cup in 2007 I think it was, there were 90 of us. Same for the FA Cup replay at Hartlepool a couple of years back, again 90 odd.

But lowest for a League game would probably be Carlisle last season, 300 or so.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For the Albion, the away game at (I think?) Blackpool during the fuel crisis a few years back must be up there?

And I think there is a Swansea midweek cup game on record when there was something like 37 Albion there. I may be wrong...

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
For the Albion, the away game at (I think?) Blackpool during the fuel crisis a few years back must be up there?

And I think there is a Swansea midweek cup game on record when there was something like 37 Albion there. I may be wrong...

LDV game, early 00's? That's the last game the infamous Mike C Gull MISSED. :angel:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Probably the lowest i've seen is 250 ish at Tranmere away a couple of years ago, when they won it late on despite a great performance from John Sullivan. That was a couple of days before christmas, and a horrible day all round.

D

Deleted User X18H

I went to a match v Chesterfield in 1987 at the Goldstone and they bought none down none at all. Dale Jasper played for us.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Boundary Park in the early seventies (I was a student at Liverpool Uni, and tried to get to support the Albion in away matches not too far away). On the desolate terraces, I spotted a couple of kids wearing blue and white scarves. I wandered over to them, and said how great it was that they'd come so far to support the Albion.
"No". they said, "We're Bury (pronounced Burrry) supporters - we just come to watch this load of shite (Oldham) when Bury are playing away".
Oldham won 2 or 3 nil - it wasn't always a good time to be watching Albion in the north west (I even saw them beaten at Southport once).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

that blackpool game from memory a tuesday night there was around 300 at guess

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Barnsley v Brighton 1981 League Cup Round 2, they were in third division and we were in first.

43 of us, Steve Gatting scored in the first minute and we lost 4-1.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Sept 1977 v Oldham at Filbert Street. Would you believe a League Cup Second round Second Replay. About 1800 there. I was probably the only one supporting Albion (unless some of you know better) Lost 1-2 but saw Wardy score.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Zenith Data Cup ,Plymouth, Away 1990 - I think there were 46 of us.

I remember a home match against Cambridge when they had gone a record number of games without a win. The programme welcomed them and their supporters, but when I looked over there weren't any! March 1984 I think.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Sept 1977 v Oldham at Filbert Street. Would you believe a League Cup Second round Second Replay. About 1800 there. I was probably the only one supporting Albion (unless some of you know better) Lost 1-2 but saw Wardy score.

I remember listening to it under the covers on the radio though. It was the night we had an escaped convict in the back yard- there were police all over the place. Funny how things trigger memories. I was 8.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I recall in the very early 90s we didn't take many to northern away games. I recall being at Mansfield with say 20-30 other Albion bods. There were others but the memory is a bit poor. I think Andy Kennedy played in goal at Mansfield as well.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sunderland away for me, in the league, probably 85/86 season...it was a Saturday game at Roker Park and there were just over 40 in the away end, me and two others in one of the home stands. I was wearing my colours and nobody seemed to care one bit, was with a Sunderland fan though...on leaving the railway station I was beckoned by a policeman in a van, who offered me a lift to the ground...I said to him that he didn't need to worry as I wasn't an animal, to which he replied...you might not be son, but they are!

My only memory of the game is that we lost and Gary O'Reilly was sent off...oh, and it was bloody freezing up there.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Zenith Data Cup ,Plymouth, Away 1990 - I think there were 46 of us.
i was at that game and there was a dam site more than at the game in jan 97 in whatever the jpt was called back then

Seagull Stew

I went to a match v Chesterfield in 1987 at the Goldstone and they bought none down none at all. Dale Jasper played for us.

Really??? I do remember a game against Cardiff, at about the same time when it was snowing. The away section was closed and all of the Cardiff fans were put in the North West corner. Would probably have seemed like there were no Cardiff fans there to anyone who didn't know where they were.

Can't imagine and certainly can't remember anyone bringing absolutely no fans whatsoever!

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham
Lowest i've been in with was that FA Cup replay against Hartlepool a few seasons back, 113 of us :lolol:

Went one 1-0 before half time through Forster but lost 2-1 in the end. More importantly, got a picture taken with Kuipers during the warm up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here