Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Worlds top ten guitarists of all time

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
FFS what a load of Mojo subscribing tosh... Let's sit round a coffee table and see who can pull out the most obscure guitarist of all time, next people will be telling me Bill Bruford was actually a brilliant guitartist! ooooohhhh lets get all eclectic and ignore the greatest electric guitarist of them all... and why? Ohh he was a bit difficult to work with... oh he wrote Smoke on the Water... Bollocks Beethoven essentially wrote Smoke, so, if you're looking for someone to blame, well then blame Ludwig.

No, No, No:

Ritchie Blackmore

...Puts on pointy wizards hat, stands up walks to the door and slams it shut.

https://youtu.be/P5WVqZqw1Es

A proper Friday Afternoon Flounce, predictable but still marvellous...:clap:

That's a great track as well, Fireball is one of my favourite DP albums.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
FFS what a load of Mojo subscribing tosh... Let's sit round a coffee table and see who can pull out the most obscure guitarist of all time, next people will be telling me Bill Bruford was actually a brilliant guitartist! ooooohhhh lets get all eclectic and ignore the greatest electric guitarist of them all... and why? Ohh he was a bit difficult to work with... oh he wrote Smoke on the Water... Bollocks Beethoven essentially wrote Smoke, so, if you're looking for someone to blame, well then blame Ludwig.

No, No, No:

Ritchie Blackmore

...Puts on pointy wizards hat, stands up walks to the door and slams it shut.

https://youtu.be/P5WVqZqw1Es

Yay I did call this on post 70 folks :clap::clap:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Not being an expert on these things, I’ve been looking and listening to some of the guitarists mentioned. Some good stuff, but still waiting to hear anyone make an instrument talk like Knopfler. Maybe it’s down to musical preference as I also enjoy classical acoustic guitar as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not being an expert on these things, I’ve been looking and listening to some of the guitarists mentioned. Some good stuff, but still waiting to hear anyone make an instrument talk like Knopfler. Maybe it’s down to musical preference as I also enjoy classical acoustic guitar as well.

Carlos Santana and Wishbone Ash guitarists can, and I also really like Knopfler btw.

This song in particular still send shivers down my spine from the first chord

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=j5AUm_xaE9A&usg=AOvVaw0C8uOLHWQIJA49ym9ji0Tl

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albert King in the top 20

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hendrix
Zappa
McLaughlin
Fripp
John McGeogh (Magazine, Banshees, Armoury Show, PiL)

That's on technical skill. But you have to say that others have been as influential, such as Wilko Johnson, Jimmy Page, Dave Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Mick Ronson.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I love Hendrix, as I should do seeing as I have a portrait of him tattooed on my arm, along with an Alladdin Sane era Bowie portrait.

Whilst on the subject of Bowie, I haven't seen anyone mention Mick Ronson?

Jimmy Page remains my all time guitar hero, closely followed by, but in no particular order:

John Squire
Johhny Marr
Steve Craddock (Ocean Colour Scene)
George Harrison
Mark Knopfler

Honourable mention to the emerging talents of Chris Alderton from The Amazons.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Brad Paisley

Watched him make Ron Wood look like the boy who's just found a first guitar on the way to the stage. Poor Ron just unstrapped his guitar, laid it down and offered a sweeping bow to the maestro.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sting

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From my world

P.Paul. Fenech.
[yt]OLYWW5W5Q2o[/yt]

Rev Horton Heat, not his best showing how good he is, but a good song.
[yt]qoJ6FVs86lc[/yt]

Poison Ivy
[yt]bvHsiYDs8pU[/yt]

Link Wray
[yt]Fn5hl2IA7_s[/yt]

Larry Collins
[yt]nnAQvu7OqrY[/[/yt]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He lives in Saltdean

He’s one very bitter and weird person these days though. Some of the interviews he’s given recently are odd.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ermmm . . . . . . I think not. Very clever, but not much excitement or broad appeal. Technique isn't everything.

I disagree..... obviously, but it depends on the criteria one would use to judge the top ten. And I'm not trying to pick a fight in saying that.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
It's all subjective, but there's only one God...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKjVbhAvGk0

The sweep-pick at 3:52/53 is fantastic in the context of a legato break like this...not his best rendition but a well recorded one, so off the top of my head and no lengthy thinking applied:

Rothery
Gilmour
Hendrix
Knopfler
Iommi
Blackmore
May
Joe Walsh
Allen Collins (for Freebird natch)
Huw Lloyd Langton
Page

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports