Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Worlds top ten guitarists of all time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
First of all, silly to conflate 'lead' with 'bass'. The latter needs it's own thread (Wobble, Hooky, Colin Hodgkinson of Back Door....)

OK, this is my list of personal faves, related to how much their sound has thrilled me over the years, rather than my fan-boy drooling over their virtuosity...

Vini Rielly (Durutti Column, and colaborations with Anne Clark and others, hauntingly beautiful)
Johnny Marr (with The Smiths - This Charming Man is a work of sublime genius and opinions thereon divide humans from mugs in my book)
Rory Gallacher (OK, Icy? :lolol: last seen by me at the Dome in 75)
Robin Trower (showing that style and vision trumps naked virtuousity. Saw him in the 70s and again more recently)
John McKay (all the later Banshees guitarists, and guitarists of dozens of other bands, copied his style)
Alan Holdsworth (the guitar on Bundles and Gazeuse is divine)
Leslie West (look up Theme from an imaginary western with Jack Bruce. Saw him in Deal 15 years ago, FFS)
John McLaughlin (many hours spent listening to Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of fire)
Frank Zappa (come on, the man's music was a total delight - and it was all scored, FFS!)

There are numerous others of course but these are the first 9 that popped into my head. Happy with Hendrix and agree he's number 1.

I might have included Eddie Van Halen, for two sublime tracks, Dreams and another that slips my mind (NOT Jump); his tapping technique was revolutionary.
I might have included Townshend, for the windmilling.
Deb Demure of Drab Majesty floats my current boat.
The Wishbone Ash, boys, yes saw them at the Dome in 74, amazing live.
I like Frank Marino, but his Hendrix channeling means he's not original. Good though.

Deffo not on my list are dirgy old drears such as Clapton (Let it grow is nice, but).....

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
My favourites are
Ira Kaplan
Roger Miller
Richard Thompson
Richard Bishop
Agree that Hendrix is still probably the GOAT

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Johnny Marr and John Squire for me.

All about opinions though isn't it?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If we were talking bass guitarists, John Entwistle would be the governor.

John Entwistle was good, but Jaco Pastorius would have knocked him in to a cocked hat.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
17 posts and no mention of Johnny Winter?

Also very excited to see Santana at the O2 in March....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw Santana in Birmingham in 1973. Still one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Some slightly more modern names to add into the equation:

Jonny Greenwood would be up there for me- technically brilliant and with his own unique style

Kim Thayil- more of a riffer than a soloist virtuoso but very very good at what he does

Mike McCready- fantastic lead player

Tom Morello- completely unique playing style.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Agree with most already mentioned, especially Dave Gilmour.

Angus Young in at full throttle is a sight to behold,
Michael Schenker's solo in Rock Bottom has never been bettered by any of the guitarists that followed him in UFO,
and Slash can certainly do a job.

Seen all of this lot live, and they can play a bit.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
First of all, silly to conflate 'lead' with 'bass'. The latter needs it's own thread (Wobble, Hooky, Colin Hodgkinson of Back Door....)

OK, this is my list of personal faves, related to how much their sound has thrilled me over the years, rather than my fan-boy drooling over their virtuosity...

Vini Rielly (Durutti Column, and colaborations with Anne Clark and others, hauntingly beautiful)
Johnny Marr (with The Smiths - This Charming Man is a work of sublime genius and opinions thereon divide humans from mugs in my book)
Rory Gallacher (OK, Icy? :lolol: last seen by me at the Dome in 75)
Robin Trower (showing that style and vision trumps naked virtuousity. Saw him in the 70s and again more recently)
John McKay (all the later Banshees guitarists, and guitarists of dozens of other bands, copied his style)
Alan Holdsworth (the guitar on Bundles and Gazeuse is divine)
Leslie West (look up Theme from an imaginary western with Jack Bruce. Saw him in Deal 15 years ago, FFS)
John McLaughlin (many hours spent listening to Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of fire)
Frank Zappa (come on, the man's music was a total delight - and it was all scored, FFS!)

There are numerous others of course but these are the first 9 that popped into my head. Happy with Hendrix and agree he's number 1.

I might have included Eddie Van Halen, for two sublime tracks, Dreams and another that slips my mind (NOT Jump); his tapping technique was revolutionary.
I might have included Townshend, for the windmilling.
Deb Demure of Drab Majesty floats my current boat.
The Wishbone Ash, boys, yes saw them at the Dome in 74, amazing live.
I like Frank Marino, but his Hendrix channeling means he's not original. Good though.

Deffo not on my list are dirgy old drears such as Clapton (Let it grow is nice, but).....

Add in Peter Green and that about nails it I reckon. Oh and it is Rory Gallagher.

Thanks a bunch incidentally, this thread means I will be on YouTube the rest of the day watching/listening to the above mentioned rather than getting any work done.... :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How the feck did I forget to add Neil Young, I probably listen to him more than anyone else and when he lets rip on the guitar it’s an absolute joy. It’s about the only time I really crank the music up in my car to full volume, making me look like a right dick in traffic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here