Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working over Christmas

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
No chance that you could negotiate being on call at home on part of that time? That does sound like tough s**T.

Nah, it's fully supported living. A couple of years ago we were laughing, there's loads of Bulgarians in the care sector, and back when they were communist, they didn't celebrate Christmas. They were more than happy for the extra pay for the shifts that no one else wanted. Now, however, they love Christmas. I think I've just had really shit luck. Or the manager thinks I'm a spineless do-gooder who can't say 'no'.

Probably the latter.

D

Deleted member 18477

Im off from the 23rd December and go back on the 4th January. Only having to book 2 days A/L... Boom!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Im off from the 23rd December and go back on the 4th January. Only having to book 2 days A/L... Boom!

I will add this:

The 2nd of January is my first PROPER day off after my 'ordeal'. Saints at home. It is also my birthday. All those who feel sorry for me are welcome to buy me a pint. Although, not too many of you, I obviously have work at 7.30 the next day. :facepalm:

Any jobs going?

Got to agree with some of the other posters on this. - tell him to shove his roster. 11hours minimum between shifts is the legal requirement under the European Working Directive. If they dispute this, direct them to this extract from Businesslink.gov.uk...

Rest periods between working days
Your workers are entitled to regular rest periods between working days - in addition to any holiday entitlement.

Workers aged 18 and over should have a minimum 11 hours' rest between each working day, and shouldn't be forced to work more than six days in every seven, or 12 days in every 14.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Got to agree with some of the other posters on this. - tell him to shove his roster. 11hours minimum between shifts is the legal requirement under the European Working Directive. If they dispute this, direct them to this extract from Businesslink.gov.uk...

Rest periods between working days
Your workers are entitled to regular rest periods between working days - in addition to any holiday entitlement.

Workers aged 18 and over should have a minimum 11 hours' rest between each working day, and shouldn't be forced to work more than six days in every seven, or 12 days in every 14.

Oh thank you legislation, thank you! I shall be marching to work Sunday with a printed version of this post and shoving it down 'the mans' throat.

I hope you like Toblerone, Brian, because theres' a very distinct chance I might give you one.

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Oh thank you legislation, thank you! I shall be marching to work Sunday with a printed version of this post and shoving it down 'the mans' throat.

I hope you like Toblerone, Brian, because theres' a very distinct chance I might give you one.

What about [MENTION=509]MYOB[/MENTION] and I?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
And surely you should be on at least double time. Plus a taxi if you would normally get public transport. Plus a couple of days off in lieu for working bank holidays.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
And surely you should be on at least double time. Plus a taxi if you would normally get public transport. Plus a couple of days off in lieu for working bank holidays.

The funny thing (when you look at it from any perspective other than mine) is that I get one day off (the 27th) before another full week of work. There are no travel concessions (it's a half hour walk from my house, losing me that little bit extra sleep) and I don't have two days off back to back until mid January.

I'm so happy I started this thread, I would have rolled over and taken it otherwise. Power to the people and all that. Does the NSC have a union? Can we strike on my behalf? Either way, if I manage to get out of this somehow, or at least half the shifts, I will buy everyone I see a beer.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I feel for you!!

Not as bad as yours but my Xmas rota reads something like this: Thurs 22nd: 10-3/6- 1am. Fri 23rd: 10-3/6pm-1am. Sat 24th: 6pm - 1 am. Sunday 25th: 11 am - 6 pm (then someone had the bright idea of opening our secret sants presents after we finish, whatever!) Mon 26th 11am - 6pm. Arghhhh!!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I feel for you!!

Not as bad as yours but my Xmas rota reads something like this: Thurs 22nd: 10-3/6- 1am. Fri 23rd: 10-3/6pm-1am. Sat 24th: 6pm - 1 am. Sunday 25th: 11 am - 6 pm (then someone had the bright idea of opening our secret sants presents after we finish, whatever!) Mon 26th 11am - 6pm. Arghhhh!!

Sounds like bar/restaurant work to me..at least you can sneak a crafty shot or two in!

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I'm so happy I started this thread, I would have rolled over and taken it otherwise. Power to the people and all that. Does the NSC have a union? Can we strike on my behalf? Either way, if I manage to get out of this somehow, or at least half the shifts, I will buy everyone I see a beer.

I'm right behind you mate, I'm so outraged i will be going on strike from 22nd of December to 4th of January :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've worked 8of the last 10 Xmas days but ths year I have taken the day off and we're going to stay with relatives. Losing 12.5 hours at tribble time which would be worth about £370 after tax, but balls to it, family and fun comes first for once.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Under Euro rules my rest time can be reduced to 9 hours rest on two occasions during my working week (tacho).

I will be having my 1st crimbo off in over 20 years! We have to use 1 weeks A/L for this though!

I have been away from my family for 4 of the last 10 years in my job, now that really does suck!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I will add this:

The 2nd of January is my first PROPER day off after my 'ordeal'. Saints at home. It is also my birthday. All those who feel sorry for me are welcome to buy me a pint. Although, not too many of you, I obviously have work at 7.30 the next day. :facepalm:

Any jobs going?

Remember initially you have to work harder,then your work faster,then having put all your blood sweat tears and soul into your work,the rewards come,your now working calmer and much more smarter,in fact your getting more done,at less speed and stress,and end up with less to do,but quality is what counts.....all this to the overall objective of being able to "play harder"..

so there you have it-

Work hard,very very hard and think,be prepared to go the extra mile,don't clock watch,make some small sacrifices along the way like the pub,it's for the greater good,long term.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You didn't get the memo then, mr Ernest. Today was my final day in George Street, I am no longer required in that shop. New team moving in on sunday. I am going to be working in different shops for a little while, including St James' Street, the Broadway in Whitehawk and St George's Road for examples from this weeks staffing. Nightmare, but there it is. I was looking forward to getting that door open at 8:30(ish) sharp and letting you in for your Tote business, sir. And your tuppance on Kauto Star, presumably.
:bowdown:

Sounds like you've been a naughty boy. Shame as I was going to come in a 0835 and present a 1p 40 horse acca spread over all 8 meetings and ask you for the early prices

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here