Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working over Christmas

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Just turned up to work this afternoon to see a fresh new rota, hot off the press, eagerly expecting to see the glorious initials 'A/L' sprawled across the weekend of the 24th/25th.

Instead, this is how it reads:
23rd Dec 9.30pm - 8am
24th Dec 2pm - 10pm
25th Dec 2pm - 10pm
26th Dec 7.30am - 3.30pm

Barely enough time to get enough sleep between shifts. AND, to add insult to injury;

31st Dec 2pm - 10pm
1st Jan 2pm - 10pm

Anyone else been handed a more festive crock of shit this Christmas?

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Just turned up to work this afternoon to see a fresh new rota, hot off the press, eagerly expecting to see the glorious initials 'A/L' sprawled across the weekend of the 24th/25th.

23rd Dec 9.30pm - 8am
24th Dec 2pm - 10pm
25th Dec 2pm - 10pm
26th Dec 7.30am - 3.30pm

Barely enough time to get enough sleep between shifts. AND, to add insult to injury;

31st Dec 2pm - 10pm
1st Jan 2pm - 10pm

If you don't mind me asking, what the hell do you do for work?

Last edited:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

23rd Dec 9.30pm - 8am
24th Dec 2pm - 10pm
25th Dec 2pm - 10pm
26th Dec 7.30am - 3.30pm

31st Dec 2pm - 10pm
1st Jan 2pm - 10pm

Presuming you are of course one of our massively unsung heroes of the NHS or some such, and not a poor soul left to deal with the general public in a shop or something?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I feel a sickie coming.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is horrific. My Christmas period looks a little bit on the shit side too, I am working almost every day and doing 60 hour weeks as standard. This, however, is my own personal choice to a certain extent, I'm working hard and often now for the bumper pay day in January, which will clear all my debts as a result of my genius budgeting.
:clap2:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

23rd Dec 9.30pm - 8am
24th Dec 2pm - 10pm
25th Dec 2pm - 10pm
26th Dec 7.30am - 3.30pm

31st Dec 2pm - 10pm
1st Jan 2pm - 10pm

Double bubble ???

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I work at Guantanamo Bay, as a full time prisoner.

No, I jest.

I'm a support worker for people with learning disabilities. I don't like to be 'high horse' about it, but I think it's a pretty amicable job. Unfortunately these hours do crop up, but this is the first time over Christmas.

Annoyingly, at the residential home I work in, all of the service users are home with their families. However, there is another home down the road which is part of the same company where the residents do not have any family to stay with, and in his infinite wisdom, my manager decided that I was the man to take the reins and work over Christmas.

Even more annoyingly, their permanent staff all have it off. Work that one out. Proper short straw stuff.

I posted this thread hoping people would have similar circumstances, and that I was just being whiny. It turns out I may be getting f***ed in the arse a little bit.

Christmas is cancelled, all of your presents have been given to orphans.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That is horrific. My Christmas period looks a little bit on the shit side too, I am working almost every day and doing 60 hour weeks as standard. This, however, is my own personal choice to a certain extent, I'm working hard and often now for the bumper pay day in January, which will clear all my debts as a result of my genius budgeting.
:clap2:

I will be looking forward to sharing some Christmas cheer with you on Boxing Day morning and hopefully you will be open at 0830

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Where's the 11 hours between shifts?

I've worked every NYE for the past 6 years, managed to set a personal record for driving home one of them - 13 minutes when it usually takes 30.

Skinthead

Jul 26, 2004
There Abouts
Can they seriously expect you do all those days? Surely someone else should take a couple of those shifts? that does seem a tad harsh mate, still look on the bright side think of the dosh at the end of the month :)

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands

No, I jest.

I'm a support worker for people with learning disabilities. I don't like to be 'high horse' about it, but I think it's a pretty amicable job. Unfortunately these hours do crop up, but this is the first time over Christmas.

Annoyingly, at the residential home I work in, all of the service users are home with their families. However, there is another home down the road which is part of the same company where the residents do not have any family to stay with, and in his infinite wisdom, my manager decided that I was the man to take the reins and work over Christmas.

Even more annoyingly, their permanent staff all have it off. Work that one out. Proper short straw stuff.

I posted this thread hoping people would have similar circumstances, and that I was just being whiny. It turns out I may be getting f***ed in the arse a little bit.

Tough break James, those hours seem particularly cruel.

The Company I work for has a 24/7/365 call centre, so they're open for the whole 24 hrs on xmas day.

I once suggested to my MD what a waste of time and money this was because who the hell is gonna call up on xmas day.
He told me over the previous 5 years the call centre took on average about 60 calls on xmas day.
60!!

We're not an emergency service, we're nothing to do with Utilities ... we just help to keep vehicles mobile.
The MD reminded me a lot of people don't recognise xmas, like Muslims, and learning disability support workers for instance, so to them it's just another day.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I will be looking forward to sharing some Christmas cheer with you on Boxing Day morning and hopefully you will be open at 0830

You didn't get the memo then, mr Ernest. Today was my final day in George Street, I am no longer required in that shop. New team moving in on sunday. I am going to be working in different shops for a little while, including St James' Street, the Broadway in Whitehawk and St George's Road for examples from this weeks staffing. Nightmare, but there it is. I was looking forward to getting that door open at 8:30(ish) sharp and letting you in for your Tote business, sir. And your tuppance on Kauto Star, presumably.
:bowdown:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
No chance that you could negotiate being on call at home on part of that time? That does sound like tough s**T.

No, I jest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here