Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Work at stadium with extra seats: photos?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
There aren't any portakabins. I'd imagine you are looking at the entrance to the platforms. You are living in the last century when you talk of "disabled areas".

"disabled overload". Brilliant. Not sure if you haven't noticed that going to football is one of the things that disabled people have just about managed to do in this country for years. Haven't quite managed to get them on the tube yet.

I agree they are somewhat "invisible", but there is a reason for that. Although football has a long history of disabled access, where it has got things wrong is by shoving them all into a corner or pitch side. In the modern world (do keep up) - if you get the chance to build a new stadium the general idea is to give as far as possible choice.

Why shouldn't disabled people be allowed the choice of an elevated view like everyone else. Does that seriously upset you ?

It's a fascinating viewpoint to take and worthy of deeper discussion: I aesthetically prefer continuous seats in a photograph of the empty stadium over raised platforms for the disabled.

No mate, doesn't upset me in the slightest, and thanks for for the history lesson. I just think the design looks bad and I don't see the need for these platforms, but whatever, it'll be built like that anyway. Its just not quite as good as I'd thought it would be. I havent seen these types of platforms at any new stadia so its nothing to do with the past. I agree wheelchair access should be able to view a match from all areas, but it could have been done so it didnt impact on the way the stand looks. Its just not a nice looking stand, thats all. I love the Amex and I love where it came from and how against all odds we got it, but I really don't like that East Stand at all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I havent seen these types of platforms at any new stadia so its nothing to do with the past.

No it's everything to do with the future and they've got "missing seats" at the Emirates....

The fact you haven't seen such platforms should inform you that the club are leading the way. This is how it SHOULD BE.

Try and forget how you think it should look and try and understand how good it will be for disabled supporters.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree wheelchair access should be able to view a match from all areas, but it could have been done so it didnt impact on the way the stand looks.

A few disabled supporters are trying though. A mate of mine has Abion wheel trims, I try and encourage him to turn his chair 90 degrees pitch side next season.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry if I have missed this but it seems strange to me that disabled supporters are somehow going to be able to get up to the level of ESU which will involve a certain number of steps or is there going to be a lift available for them ?

D

Deleted member 18477

We are struggling to understand. Does a raised disabled platform embarrass you ?

What a freakish thing to say. Really weird. I'm as diverse as the next man. Nice try but it's time to stop fishing.

The tier looks Shit nonetheless. Hopefully the tier in the flesh - which ive said all along anyway - will look better than the mock up.

D

Deleted member 18477

I would suggest, you are digging a bloody big hole for yourself, why not wait till its finished and full of fans before slagging off the design, as assumed by an internet drawing

I've already said lets hope it looks better in the flesh. My whole argument is on the shitty drawing Derrr! What else could it have been on FFS!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That looks such an improvement than that mock up on the official site. The other one has a row of seats stuck in the wall in the north stand. How can anyone take that mock up for real when he's added rows here and there and taken the TV away.

It seems he/she has done the mock up to suit how they'd like it to be.

I posted before reading this, my sentiments entirely.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No, I think you're confused, this looks f***ing awful:

selhurst%20park%2011.jpg

Yeah it does but it didn't cost them multi million pounds.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What a freakish thing to say. Really weird. I'm as diverse as the next man. Nice try but it's time to stop fishing.

The tier looks Shit nonetheless. Hopefully the tier in the flesh - which ive said all along anyway - will look better than the mock up.

You've said a number of things. In reply to: Are you against raised platforms for the disabled in principle then ?

You replied....

If it makes the stand look that shit and stops another 1000 seats being installed yes I am..

I fully understand most people don't understand these things unless they have experience them in the real world. This isn't about "diversity", it's about (where possible and within reason) disabled fans having a small percentage of the choice that us able bodied take for granted.

Being treated the same, so those with a huge chip on their shoulder don't have to worry about them being given "special" treatment. Bless...

F*ck me, the possibility of a few square yards of the east stand being available for a few fans in wheelchairs. And everyone is complaining about gaps in the seats.

Get over yourselves.

I have no idea whether these gaps are disabled platforms by the way, beyond what was promised. I just hope they are.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You've said a number of things. In reply to: Are you against raised platforms for the disabled in principle then ?

You replied....

Nice.

To be fair Clapham Gull although dig is literally digging himself a hole he can't really turn his argument around now, so some of you are in the process of humiliating him. I do agree with his sentiments that the East Stand Upper looks very poor and somewhat shoddy, and considering around 80 mill was spent on the ground alone, you'd think the architecture would have a little more aforethought. The disabled areas could have easily have been factored in, in a better way in order to make the aesthetics of the stadium more pleasing on the eye, assuming the official picture. There is also the obvious thought that more seats and more bums could be placed in the area that is being put aside. Personally I think it looks ridiculous and I am hoping it looks better in real life than it does in the official mock up. I'd be a little sad to see the amount of money spent on our stadium not looking quite right.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
To be fair Clapham Gull although dig is literally digging himself a hole he can't really turn his argument around now, so some of you are in the process of humiliating him. I do agree with his sentiments that the East Stand Upper looks very poor and somewhat shoddy, and considering around 80 mill was spent on the ground alone, you'd think the architecture would have a little more aforethought. The disabled areas could have easily have been factored in, in a better way in order to make the aesthetics of the stadium more pleasing on the eye, assuming the official picture. There is also the obvious thought that more seats and more bums could be placed in the area that is being put aside. Personally I think it looks ridiculous and I am hoping it looks better in real life than it does in the official mock up. I'd be a little sad to see the amount of money spent on our stadium not looking quite right.

This.
You said it better than I could.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
And still the most ridiculous thread continues , never judge a painting till it's finished anyway the roof drops very sharp on the corners of ESU not room for many seats anyway and like at The Emirates the Disabled areas on the upper tiers look fine consisting of a few higher and wider concrete steps for better access for wheelchairs can't see what the problem is .Build it and they will come to our field of dreams .

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Oh! Perfection,perfection...where are you? We have one of the best stadiums in the country...one man has spent millions and STILL people are not satisifed....whatever design it is going to be will be....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Long thread about not much....something about what east upper looks like? don't care will b sitting in it looking at pitch with footballers and a ball hopefully

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Good post, the architect wants shagging for the lack of thought given to the inside of the stadium ,i don`t think any one is against dissabled supporters having a decent view but that east stand upper is a joke, the north and south stands are also too small what is the space behind them used for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here