Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words you use, but you shouldn't.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
What i really hate is when Aussieor /south Africans sportsmen and others answer every question with ...Listen....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What i really hate is when Aussieor /south Africans sportsmen and others answer every question with ...Listen....

I've often heard them start with "Look" - drives me mad as it sounds so condescending:

e.g.
"Look mate, you poms ain't gotta chance - my Sheila's better than half your team"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not so much words, but it's been pointed out to me that the inflection of my voice keeps going up at the end of a sentence so it sounds like I'm asking a question. I sound like a Californian teenager. To give you an idea those two sentences above would come over verbally as: "... the inflection of my voice keeps going up at the end of a sentence so it sounds like I'm asking a question? I sound like a Californian teenager?"

It's a good job you can't guess the inflection of my voice from just reading my posts as I guess it would really annoy everybody?
Great confessional - I can reassure you that it is incredibly annoying. My 50 year old brother is similarly afflicted (I think as a result of spending a lot of time with his student children...?). To the extent now where I find it difficult to have a conversation with him? Without being distracted by it?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It really annoys me when you give an opinion, and rather than saying they agree or disagree, they say. ABSOLUTELY.

Guilty as charged M'lud :down:

I absolutely use that word too much.

Even sadder I occasionally try to make it sound "humorous" and pronounce it asbolutely. :shrug:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I very occasionally say "Fairy Snuff" and that is too often as far as I'm concerned..I can't stand hearing myself say it and I always wish I hadn't.

I do like saying Bollocks though but sometimes it's inappropriate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I often start sentences with "No offence, but..." when the sentence isn't offensive whatsoever.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I often start sentences with "No offence, but..." when the sentence isn't offensive whatsoever.

Some people say "I'm not being racist/sexist, but..." and usually they go on to say something that is.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I very occasionally say "Fairy Snuff" and that is too often as far as I'm concerned..I can't stand hearing myself say it and I always wish I hadn't.

I do like saying Bollocks though but sometimes it's inappropriate.

Why is it that people say "furry muff" as opposed to "fair enough"? That really gets my shackles up when I hear that in conversation.

As for bollocks, I probably overuse it that word, but bollocks to it, its a good word.... Far less offensive than ****, which i'm trying to cut down on

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i start alot of sentances with .. i mean . not sure why and it freaked me out for a bit but then i realise loads of people do it. i also say know what i mean way too much

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why is it that people say "furry muff" as opposed to "fair enough"? That really gets my shackles up when I hear that in conversation.

I am occasionally guilty of another crude variety of that, its lesser sibling "hairy muff".

Perhaps this shouldn't be on this thread as I have only used it ONCE, and intend never to do so again. But I was given a task by a boss once, as in "can you get this back to me by (such-and-such date) please"

I responded with

"Copy that" :facepalm:

Yes, I was asked to compile a tedious number-crunching report, and on acceptance of the task, I had a sudden and totally delusional Jack Bauer moment. As soon as it left my lips I was mortified. Thankfully he's left now, but I bet he spent the ensuing 12 months doing sneaky stealthy piss-taking gun manoeuvres behind my back. And I wouldn't blame him.

"Copy that".
What a KNOBBER.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm one of those annoying people that says "literally" quite a lot.

Y'see that annoys me a lot whenever I hear it, but I do find myself doing it from time to time.

"byyyeeeee" in an annoying woosie voice at the end of a phone call. That's the one I do, and just have no understanding of why I've done it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"byyyeeeee" in an annoying woosie voice at the end of a phone call. That's the one I do, and just have no understanding of why I've done it.

A guy I worked with would usually end his phone calls by going

"OK, bye...bye...bye...bye...bye..." in a progressively softer voice, whilst lowering his head with the handpiece all the way down to the receiver, before finally hanging up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here