Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words you use, but you shouldn't.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For squire, read "chief". I blame 4 years of Scottish university education, reinforced by watching Rab C Nesbitt.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
A strange one thats recently creeped in is the use of the word 'ghastly'. Im 25 years old and really shouldnt be banging words like this out under any circumstances.

:US::US:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I still use "luvvly jubbly" and "kushti" but my use of "shush, you tart!" is being copied by my 4 year-old and the missus is on at me to cut it out.

The problem is - being married - I use it a lot when she's about, now Jake's telling his keyworker at nursery to "shush, you tart!" I find it hilarious but, like kicking a cat, you know it's wrong and must end...

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Guilty of the worst one possible I'm afraid. When talking about football to Americans I call it "soccer". I know. I know. Only to avoid a tedious discussion where I explain I'm not talking about "throwball". Oddly my American mate I commute with has taken to saying football where he used to say "soccer".

On a happier note my 3 year old daughter says bitch constantly. Overheard her mum use it in a minor road rage incident and we can't shake her of it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not so much words, but it's been pointed out to me that the inflection of my voice keeps going up at the end of a sentence so it sounds like I'm asking a question. I sound like a Californian teenager. To give you an idea those two sentences above would come over verbally as: "... the inflection of my voice keeps going up at the end of a sentence so it sounds like I'm asking a question? I sound like a Californian teenager?"

It's a good job you can't guess the inflection of my voice from just reading my posts as I guess it would really annoy everybody?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It really annoys me when you give an opinion, and rather than saying they agree or disagree, they say. ABSOLUTELY.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
****. My female friends are particualarly execptionate towards this word. Apart from one who loves it...

Mish (as in short for mission) - its chavvy and horrendous.
Do one - said in a chavvy way
GTFO/STFU - its a nerdy thing i've picked up

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Mish (as in short for mission) - its chavvy and horrendous.

Same for me...

"Wanna Go into Brighton?"

"Nah, It's a Mish."

And thats when i die inside slightly.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have an annoying habit of finishing sentences with 'so' as if I am about to elaborate on what I said... it even annoys me, so it must be driving the people around me potty!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
'OK squire'
'Cheers squire'

I am NOT a chirpy, rosey-cheeked 1950's stableboy, so WHY I insist on calling friends and barely known aquaintances 'squire' both verbally and online, I honestly have no idea. But I just can't seem to STOP it.

I picked that up from Wayne in auf weidersain pet :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here