Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words or phrases only used by tabloid newspapers

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Manhood", usually in the context of stories about nightclub-haunting, footballer-sharking slappers*, or Cristiano Ronaldo snapped on holiday wearing super-tight Speedos.

*Who will then tell the world how said footballer "bedded" her, before being tearfully stunned to find he doesn't call in the morning.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Tot" to describe a small child, as in "Dad Fury at Madonna Tot Fiasco"

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
'Wacko'* and 'Bonkers'*. Symptomatic of a responsible approach to all mental health issues.

*See Michael Jackson and Frank Bruno.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
"Brighton Star"

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"Megabucks" - used in any transfer rumour involving the Albion.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That funny-looking fella who was in charge at West Ham was called the 'Biscuit Baron'...before his finances, err, crumbled.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Super-agent"
For some reason Pini Zahavi seems to have exlusive rights to this term. His name can never, ever be mentioned in a redtop without it being prefixed with "super-agent". What, does he dive into a phonebox and pull his underpants out over his trousers before doing a deal ?

"Fury", "Outrage","Rage" - Usually used by the Mail or Express when a few people are mildly annoyed by something which doesn't really affect them much, if at all. "Tzar" is another one - why don't they just say "Head of....".

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
'Gems', as in "£3 million haul in Mayfair gems raid". 'Gems' is a word I have never used in my life. Has anyone? Nor 'haul', for that matter.

In footie reports... 'Carbon copy' to describe any repeated incident or goal. And a 'slide-rule' pass. Most readers will have never seen either of these examples of early 20th century technology.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Hoodwink' - i've only ever seen that word in the tabloids. Surprising that it's used considering trick and cheat are shorter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Loverat, who, of course, will also have a lovenest.

Big respect to Micky Adams, who memorably got the phrase 'Burgess Hill lovenest' into the red-tops first time round.

:clap::clap:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Police suspect foul play!!!! Ergo.....after a mans body parts were found in 3 different counties. Keep up the good work lads :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And, as I'm sure you know, Edna, after a bit more of that probing, cops may then decide to 'swoop'. Only possible between 5 and 7am apparently.

And if the swooped upon property is worth more than £250,000 (or £120,000 if oop north), you can be sure it'll be a 'mansion'.

:lolol:

The mansion in question will be owned by a minor local businessman who, if not a supremo or a powerbroker, will almost certainly be a tycoon. Next time I'm at work, I shall try to get the word "swoop" into my arrest statement :clap:

Swoop, incidentally, may also be used in the context of a football club purchasing a new employee (see also "nab", "raid").

And the said swoop/raid will be instigated by a manager who's just been handed a £x million transfer war-chest by his moneybags chairman.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With the raw material on this thread, I reckon you could write a short story that would get in the Mirror. Or certainly the Star.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here