Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words only ever used in a football context

Not so much a word or phrase, but footballers seem to speak in their own tense. For example, instead of describing a goal and build up in the usual past tense: 'Well, he went down the wing, crossed it and I headed it in.' they need to describe things as if they're still happening now: 'Well, he's gone down the wing, he's crossed it and I've headed it in'. Don't hear the past described using the present tense in other sports, I think.

The six verbs you quote there are all past tense. But I get what you mean.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The present imperfect tense: "He's put in a great cross and the boy's done great to get on the end of it."

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Top Premiership clubs don't have transfer budgets. They have WAR CHESTS

When times are bad the manager doesn't have a meeting to have a general discussion with players and try to find out where to apportion blame where appropriate and right wrongs instead HE READS THE RIOT ACT

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I feel I should mention that the Italian word for midfielder is actually the greatest non-English word in the WORLD.

Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you CENTROCAMPISTA. :clap:

Edit: it's the same word in Spanish.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I wish I had seen this thread Early Doors so I could have put in my football only phrase

The story I heard was that it was a Scouse saying regarding ladies of the house shutting their normally open front doors late in the week to stop debt-collectors (tallymen) coming in, as their husbands would normally be paid Thurs/Friday...

As to the thread...

'Inside left/right channel...'

Can't think of another everyday use of it?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
This thread can 'kick on' from here.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I hate the phrase LOYAL SERVANT, i.e., anybody thats been around for 5 years or more.

Ive been with my employers on and off for 10 years now, but that makes me a mug wage slave with a family, and definately not a LOYAL SERVANT.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Big Ron once uttered one of the greatest lines ever to leave the mouth of a commentator: “There’s the lollipop…and that’s a great ping to the back stick early doors.”

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I wish I had seen this thread Early Doors so I could have put in my football only phrase

Did you call? :lolol:

I've had bollockings from my boss before, but don't think I have ever been subjected to the hairdrier treatment.

And, I've squeezed them but do you normally pick your spot other than in football?

Then of course there is the 6 pointer

Attachments

• early doors.jpg
    early doors.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 75

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Has anybody mentioned "snapped up" as in Brighton doing just that to two Stockport players.

And I hope all Players try to keep it on the island unless it is more appropriate to hit it into row Z.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The constant use of the phrase 'football club' after the team's name - for f***'s sake, if the interview is about football, we know that, for example, Southampton, Newcastle and Fulham are football clubs. Why come out with all this extra toss and verbiage as in, "The most important thing for (eg) Southamton Football Club is to get out of this league" - what are they afraid we might think they're talking about? Southampton Docks? Southampton Council? Southampton British Legion?

Bloody infuriates me! - I'd rather those who's brains can't run as fast as their tongues would go back to using "yer know" twenty times in a ruddy sentence!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here