Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wood Burning Stoves, Splitting Logs

Who has a wood burner stove and does a bit of splitting the odd round or two or tree,

we have had a burner for nearly 10 years now, but only just got into using it regularly, just spent a few minutes splitting some rounds with a sledge hammer and maul. Any tree fellers out there?

LC:yahoo:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Nothing better than a real fire/stove FACT.

especially if it's from Grate Fireplaces & Interiors, 92-98 North Street Portslade :thumbsup:

... what?

Nothing better than a real fire/stove FACT.

especially if it's from Grate Fireplaces & Interiors, 92-98 North Street Portslade :thumbsup:

... what?

nice range you have there.

we based in London but will be within the year lwe will be looking for a multi-fuel or wood burning stove for the living room, possibly a johal if we afford it or something else if we can't.

LC

We burn logs on our open fire but buy aged ready split logs from a local supplier as they burn better than green wood.

we have an ash tree that we had to cut down, 3 yaars of seasoning so its right hard now and we pick wood from skips etc,

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have an open fire in my little cottage - in fact I'm sprawled in front of it right now. Nothing better on a bleak mid-winter's night than a roaring log fire, a bottle of wine and Gavin and Stacey on BBC i-player :thumbsup: (man of simple pleasures)

Get my logs from a local farm. I do a bit of chainsawing and wood clearing on my days off, in return for filling up the ol' Landie with as many logs as I can haul. Long live the barter system.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have an open fire in my little cottage - in fact I'm sprawled in front of it right now. Nothing better on a bleak mid-winter's night than a roaring log fire, a bottle of wine and Gavin and Stacey on BBC i-player :thumbsup: (man of simple pleasures)

Get my logs from a local farm. I do a bit of chainsawing and wood clearing on my days off, in return for filling up the ol' Landie with as many logs as I can haul. Long live the barter system.

Honestly not trying to be funny Bry, but doesn't it play HAVOC with your smoke alarm? ???

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Reminds me of that Not the 9 O'Clock News scetch:

"Come home to a real fire"

"Buy a cottage in Wales"

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Honestly not trying to be funny Bry, but doesn't it play HAVOC with your smoke alarm? ???

Well, it does on mild, dank nights as the hearth doesn't draw so well; but on these crisp, frosty evenings the ol' smoke just whips straight up the chimney. My shit cooking causes more havoc with the s/alarm...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My shit cooking causes more havoc with the s/alarm...

That's what I was thinking. Even the curly end bit of a loaf put in the toaster tends to set mine off and I have to open all window in the smoke's flight path and stand there furiously wafting the front door of me flat back and forth til it stops. By which time all the other flats in me humble abode have awoken and started hurling accusations :down:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
have an open fire but would seriously think of getting a woodburner if i could afford it (and the installation) as they are fairly obviously an awful lot more efficient (though not quite as pleasing on the eye)

have an open fire but would seriously think of getting a woodburner if i could afford it (and the installation) as they are fairly obviously an awful lot more efficient (though not quite as pleasing on the eye)

SOME OF THE DESIGNS ARE BRILLIANT, i looked at a site at the weekend stoves on line i think, some relatively cheapy's on there as well as 6 grand ones

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Make sure you get a reputable company to install it.
Alot of house fires we attend at this time of year are caused by poorly fitted woodburner flues that touch the roof joists and end up causing them to combust through the radiated heat. Once you get a fire in your roof space its usually pretty much all over...

Make sure you get a reputable company to install it.
Alot of house fires we attend at this time of year are caused by poorly fitted woodburner flues that touch the roof joists and end up causing them to combust through the radiated heat. Once you get a fire in your roof space its usually pretty much all over...

OURS Will GO STRAIGHT UP A chimney, I would like the piping to be in the open - that is where the most heat is exchanged - but we probably set the house and kids on fire.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We have a log burner and had an open fire at our last house. This winter we're burning a mix of poplar (felled two years ago) and apple. There is nothing nicer than an open fire but a woodburner is a good compromise and much warmer.

Lover splitting logs on a cold dry day. An the log pile gives me a bit of a bone for some reason. Sadly, managed to break my finger with the log splitter on New Years Day - so not doing much at the minute.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Who has a wood burner stove and does a bit of splitting the odd round or two or tree,

we have had a burner for nearly 10 years now, but only just got into using it regularly, just spent a few minutes splitting some rounds with a sledge hammer and maul. Any tree fellers out there?

LC:yahoo:

Used to have an open fire some years ago and one of life's great pleasures was splitting logs. I'm thinking of getting a stove fitted now but the expense isn't so much the stove itself as the fitting. Shame, I'd love to be doing the logs again....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here