Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As far as the tournament as a whole is concerned IMHO, it's been heavy going so far for viewers.

Yes, there have been some good games - Australia v Nigeria was excellent - and thankfully no team has taken a 10+ goal hammering so far.

But both teams have rarely scored in the games. Just 5 games out of the 27 games played so far. 18.5%, so less than 1 in every 5 games.

Group A: 4 games played, 0 games where both teams scored. 1-0, 0-2, 0-1, 0-0.
Group B: 4 games played, 2 games where both teams scored. 1-0, 0-0, 2-1, 2-3.
Group C: 4 games played, 0 games where both teams scored. 3-0, 0-5, 2-0, 5-0.
Group D: 4 games played, 0 games where both teams scored. 1-0, 1-0, 1-0. 1-0.
Group E: 4 games played, 1 game where both teams scored. 3-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-0.
Group F: 2 games played, 0 games where both teams scored. 0-0, 4-0.
Group G: 3 games played, 2 games where both teams scored. 2-1, 1-0, 2-2.
Group H: 2 games played, 0 games where both teams scored. 6-0, 2-0.

In the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, 20 of the 48 group games resulted in both teams scoring. 41.6%, over 2 games in every 5.

No doubt there's a few possible reasons for this - statistical anomaly being one of them - but I found it an interesting observation.

Any thoughts here? (Other than that I've clearly got too much time on my hands...)

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
My thoughts watching the game were that the team is a bit underwhelming right now. It isn't really missing all that much, only Mead and Williamson and now Walsh are starters. The team is desperately short of a serious left back and I'm still concerned about Millie Bright (but dim). She nearly cost us a few times today and she's playing her way back into form. Stanway hasn't been as good as she was at the Euros and Toone has been anonymous in a deeper role. I think the shape of the team should and will change now Queen Keira is out, to change to a midfield two and then play James, Toone and Kelly/Hemp behind Daly/Russo through the middle.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
China score a penalty to lead Haiti 1-0. Not through to the knockout stages yet. The concern now is that we've got to play our best X1 in our final group game and possibly more injuries. Winning the World Cup would be a miracle in this transitional time and limited squad. But we can do it with Sarina.

Last edited:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
We're fated not to win this WC.

Haiti should have had at least two penalties in injury time. Gutted.

We go again next week against the Chinese. They looked shattered physically at the end.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Walsh down holding her knee looks bad - fear that could be another ACL injury so she'll be out for the tournament (and maybe the season). Such a shame
Incidence of ACL injuries in women’s football is horrific…..something like 8x that in the men’s game. Needs far more research to properly work on prevention - effect of Q angle, menstrual cycle, physical loading, football maturity and even boots all potential contributory factors.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Incidence of ACL injuries in women’s football is horrific…..something like 8x that in the men’s game. Needs far more research to properly work on prevention - effect of Q angle, menstrual cycle, physical loading, football maturity and even boots all potential contributory factors.
Can't really see a solution to it tbh, just play on and accept the consequences of playing a physical game, also a star player is hardly gonna chuck a sickie before a big game just because she's having a period.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I do try hard to be supportive of Women's Football, and have been gone to see a few games at Lewes over the past few years. But it can be as frustrating as hell to watch. I saw most of the FRA-BRA match today. Yes, there were plenty of exciting moments but the players seem so inept. Wayward shots and passes. Hit and hope. Dreadful goalkeeping. Maybe it will get better as we get into the knockout rounds.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It'll be a disaster for the competition if the co-hosts, especially Australia, go out in the group stages. This wasn't in the script. All eyes on Sam Kerr now, but its not looking good

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I do try hard to be supportive of Women's Football, and have been gone to see a few games at Lewes over the past few years. But it can be as frustrating as hell to watch. I saw most of the FRA-BRA match today. Yes, there were plenty of exciting moments but the players seem so inept. Wayward shots and passes. Hit and hope. Dreadful goalkeeping. Maybe it will get better as we get into the knockout rounds.
It’ll get better after a few years of development to counteract the comparative Saudian treatment of women’s football by the blazers at the FA throughout almost the entirety of the 20th Century.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can't really see a solution to it tbh, just play on and accept the consequences of playing a physical game, also a star player is hardly gonna chuck a sickie before a big game just because she's having a period.
They don’t really throw a sickie as such, it’s part of their daily health and wellbeing reports fed into the database

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Currently watching the Den v NZ game and have to say the quality is very poor. Poor decision making and poor passing letting both sides down.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Currently watching the Den v NZ game and have to say the quality is very poor. Poor decision making and poor passing letting both sides down.
Switzerland not Denmark, but your point still stands. Slow transition, missed passes, poor decisions in and around the box.

NZ are joint hosts, need a win and have just had their first shot on target after 73 minutes. Switzerland have only had one as well.

It's not been great.

Two slightly left-field things from this tournament:

1. Group A will be completed before Germany and Colombia have played their 2nd group game.

2. Teams that play in group games usually can't meet again before the Final as they move to different halves of the draw. Not the case here.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I loved the Euros, even the non-England games, but I must admit I've been distinctly underwhelmed by this tournament so far. It's a bit like Italia 90, which let's not forget was pretty dire.

Anyway, a win's a win, and that first twenty minutes was good.
Not all the Italia 90 groups were poor (just England’s), I seem to recall some great football in other groups Germany’s for example, Cameroon - not sure I agree with the comparison.

In terms of this tournament, think I posted somewhere else I thought the Lionesses would struggle due to the injuries and they’ve been pretty poor so far IMO.

The African nations though have been a revelation - hopefully some players for the Albion to consider.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Switzerland not Denmark, but your point still stands. Slow transition, missed passes, poor decisions in and around the box.

NZ are joint hosts, need a win and have just had their first shot on target after 73 minutes. Switzerland have only had one as well.

It's not been great.
It’s been awful ,

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It does.

Re the boots, just a theory, but are the blades more in place rather than circular studs these days? Surely, something circular rotates more easily?

Also the pitches are different now, combination of synthetic and natural grass etc….

Lots of factors, but 100% agree, more research required.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's not been great.
Apologies, not Denmark. I've seen a few games and this is the worst I've seen by a long way.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Great goal by a player with a great name.
A cracking goal!
Until then, the highlight of the game, for me, was when one of the Colombian girls tried to pour a water bottle over her head to cool down... and completely missed. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here