Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I wonder if any other country has a brother and sister playing...
Random stat...in other sports, the brother/sister partnership of Yuhan and Lianne Tan represented Belgium in Badminton mixed doubles in Rio 2016.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Walsh down holding her knee looks bad - fear that could be another ACL injury so she'll be out for the tournament (and maybe the season). Such a shame

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Big blow. I 'did' my knee at nothing like the intensity she;s just done, no tear....and it was 4 months before I felt able to lightly jog again.

Really hope it's not as bad as it looked.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The fear is that with Walsh going off, a lot of England's creativity is likely to have gone with it.

But that's why there's a squad. Over to you, Laura Coombs.

Still, a bit of quality from James is the difference.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Coombs has done well in that little 10 mins, steadied things.

Definitely lost our way, though fair play to Denmark, they've sussed our fullbacks out and defending and countering very well. It's easy to forget they're ranked 13th in the world, so no mugs.

I just don't get the sloppy passing, we weren't like this in the Euros, but just simple passes are not being executed.

We're also not quick enough in the attack, it gets to the final third and stops. Ella Toone just seems lost.

Still plenty of positives, way better than Haiti and a lovely little bit of magic from James.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Lovely finish from Lauren James, magnificent strike and knew exactly what she wanted to do. Seeing Rachel Daly back at left back is really frustrating, imagine a manager in the men's game playing a 22 goal top scorer in the league as a striker at left back! Crazy waste of her talents.

Keira Walsh's injury has ruined the entire tournament for me, absolute disaster. She's the best player by a mile and can't be replaced in this team.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
After a good first 15-20 mins we've slipped back into being more hesitant and being sloppy. James strike was outstanding, but shes stopped doing runs, going for the ball much and Russo has been a bit anonymous. The Walsh injury definitely hasn't helped but we should be more than 2 up by now. Hope we don't regret all our missed chances.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
England has come on for England.

Aside from Mike England for Wales, and Stephen Ireland for R.o.I. it can't have happened too many times.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
You do forget we're missing the spine of the team. Williamson, Kirby, White (retired) and now Walsh. Big blows all of them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Too busy appealing for everything instead of defending,

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You do forget we're missing the spine of the team. Williamson, Kirby, White (retired) and now Walsh. Big blows all of them.
Not forgetting Beth Mead. With Daly moving to LB, we're sorely missing her Euro goalscoring prowess.

So we've had to rely on GK Earps to win us the first game, and just about held on in this one too.

Yes, we'll qualify no doubt and pundits/commentators will gloss over the performances, but a side like Germany or Spain would carve us up.

Thankfully, we'd only play them in the Final as they're both on the other side of the draw.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
That claim at the near post then drop to the floor should be considered time wasting and keepers should be warned then shown a yellow if they carry on doing that.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Well a win is a win and it should be good enough to get us through to the knock out stages, but that got harder and harder to watch as the performance tailed off. Much to improve on as we progress through the tournament

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Denmark have created absolutely nothing apart from when we've been sloppy in play and given the ball away cheaply. They've not even really pressed that well, just sat back. England just need to analyse this and is it through lack of concentration? communication and leadership on the pitch?

The England of the Euros is still in there, the first 20 mins shows that, but the injury to Walsh is a massive blow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here