Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Women who flaunt themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
of course "she was asking for it" is too harsh and perhaps "contributory negligence" is too clinical sounding a term, but isn't there just a grain of truth in that concept?

anyone who dismisses someone holding that opinion as a potential rapist and at the same time has a security system in their home with a sign outside announcing that fact or a car alarm with a blinking red light is being somewhat of a hypocrite. if sending out the right signals with regard to prevention of burglary and car theft is deemed to be responsible, why does this not extend to rape?

now, don't misunderstand me, i'm not saying that the fact that a drunk, scantily clad girl was walking home alone late at night should be used in defence of a rapist in a court of law but isn't that the same as going out and leaving your door unlocked or parking your new BMW in a dodgy neighbourhood (Liverpool)? asking for it and deserving of being a victim of a crime? of course not. putting yourself in a situation in which the risk of being a victim is increased? absolutely.

i understand the mentality - rape is a heinous crime and our natural response is to have 100% sympathy with the victim. unfortunately, you have to be realistic and admit that there are ways in which women can reduce their risk of becoming a victim and, with our knowledge of the way society works these days, you are being a little reckless if you don't take some pretty obvious precautions.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
You should not have to dress concerned by what some sexual deviant may think of as alluring. Not even you JB.

i agree. you shouldn't have to. but i refer you back to my previous post...you shouldn't have to install a security system on your home or have a car alarm. just because a crime is wrong, doesn't mean you shouldn't take appropriate precautions.

it's a pretty sad state of affairs, but we all know that there are thieves out there so we do our best to deter them. why does this not extend to rapists?

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
i was referring to a specific scenario. obviously, there are situations where that doesn't apply and i tried to make it clear that, regardless of the scenario, precautions or lack thereof should not be used in defense of a rapist. you either don't understand the argument i am making or are deliberately twisting my words (or more accurately applying them to situations i wasn't referring to) to make it appear that i am trying to justify rape in some way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For Christ's sake. In the face of some incredibly stiff opposition, this is the single most depressing thread EVER started on this forum.

Congratulations.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
i was referring to a specific scenario. obviously, there are situations where that doesn't apply and i tried to make it clear that, regardless of the scenario, precautions or lack thereof should not be used in defense of a rapist. you either don't understand the argument i am making or are deliberately twisting my words (or more accurately applying them to situations i wasn't referring to) to make it appear that i am trying to justify rape in some way.

I am misunderstanding then. If I don't have a house alarm am I asking to be burgled ?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I can't believe the Mod's haven't banned our residential, pro-rape, rural inbred for this. I'm all for healthy debate - but this is just a sodding disgrace. How low can NSC go?

Sort it out, FFS! :mad:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I am misunderstanding then. If I don't have a house alarm am I asking to be burgled ?

you are misunderstanding. i am not saying that if you don't have a burglar alarm you are asking to be burgled but i am saying that having a burglar alarm is a sensible precaution. there is a difference, albeit a subtle one.

all i'm trying to say is that i think there is difference between "if only she hadn't walked home alone at 1am whilst drunk and wearing that revealing outfit" and "she was asking for it". i don't think the latter is valid, but i do believe there is some merit to the former.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
As a swindon fan living in sussex i pay and contribute to your forum on and off, i reckon nsc is one of the best football forums about, but this sort of thing and the growing racism is really letting your side down.

now go ahead and tell me to f*** off :)

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
As a swindon fan living in sussex i pay and contribute to your forum on and off, i reckon nsc is one of the best football forums about, but this sort of thing and the growing racism is really letting your side down.

Quite agree. Over the last 6-12 months this place has really gone downhill. The thread starter might have been on a wind-up, but this subject is really not something that should even require discussion.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove

ok.............f*** off:thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

alright then , piss off you closet Oxford fan. :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
At work , I often see an eyeful , if its on display then I'll grab a sneaky peep and thats as far as it goes. The more older you get , the more of a perv you become. ;)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
we all have a responsibility for OUR OWN actions, not other persons actions.

Is the best answer, in thirteen little words.

If you walk past a parked car and noticed the owner had left their shiny new iPod on the front seat, would it be acceptable to break in and steal it?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's about responsibility for your own actions, isn't it.

If you stole it simply because it was visible, that would make you a thieving bastard. End of.

The problem I have with people saying girls are to varying degrees asking for it by dressing in the way you describe, is that by definition it assumes men are incapable of taking responsibility for themselves- that they don't possess the necessary decency or thought process to be able to control their own actions.

Which I think is probably fairly insulting to men, but that's what you're basically saying if you put the blame on women in such situations.

On the subject- and I'm reluctant to sound like some bra-burning Germaine Greer here- the reason many females dress in the way they do is because that's what the (largely male-dominated) fashion industry dictates, and what mens' magazines feature on a weekly basis: ladies wearing very little. Therefore is it any wonder that a fair number feel under pressure to dress as such, because they fear they will be perceived as unattractive if they don't? ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here