Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Women Managers

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Certainly not that long. It's not taken Sian Massey long to get accepted as a lino - does she get any stick ? I don't know, but she's proved herself to be more than capable. 5 years ago most people would have said that unlikely.

It's different in the dressing room though. Footballers are hardly the most enlightened group of people on the planet and I for one cannot see a female manager for a very long time.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's different in the dressing room though. Footballers are hardly the most enlightened group of people on the planet and I for one cannot see a female manager for a very long time.

But it only takes one to change a mind-set and it quickly becomes acceptable, even to brainless footballers - especially if they're winning gmes. If that one happens to be awful, of course it could set this back a number of years. I don't think it's imminent though.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
But it only takes one to change a mind-set and it quickly becomes acceptable, even to brainless footballers - especially if they're winning gmes. If that one happens to be awful, of course it could set this back a number of years. I don't think it's imminent though.

Just because they're stupid it doesn't mean they will suddenly accept a complete reverse of one of the most endemic features of the game. Being a football manager has always, rightly or wrongly, been viewed as a job for a man. Always.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just because they're stupid it doesn't mean they will suddenly accept a complete reverse of one of the most endemic features of the game. Being a football manager has always, rightly or wrongly, been viewed as a job for a man. Always.

Can't argue with history, but that doesn't mean it will stay that way at all - things change. As I say, not imminent, but not impossible.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Why not? Men manage women football teams?

Because more men play football and the talent pool in football management consists mainly of men. You pick your best candidate and in most cases that will always be a man.

Anyway, why the clamour to have a female manager? How many men manage international or top class netball teams, surely not many?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Because more men play football and the talent pool in football management consists mainly of men. You pick your best candidate and in most cases that will always be a man.

Anyway, why the clamour to have a female manager? How many men manage international or top class netball teams, surely not many?

I would suggest however that the bias in looking towards men has overshadowed the talent that some women may have in management, if there was equally opportunity for women to try, and then fail (or succeed) then fair enough. But just because of someone's sex they surely can't be denied a job as traditionally men are better at it.

D

Deleted member 18477

Piss off! Bad enough we had a female lino in the MEN'S game!

Could women managers handle the sick that big fat Sam and Nigel smuggy bollocks Adkins take? I think not!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Piss off! Bad enough we had a female lino in the MEN'S game!

Why ? Ms Massey has proved to have made some very good decisions, so far.

Could women managers handle the sick that big fat Sam and Nigel smuggy bollocks Adkins take? I think not!

That sound rather sexist. I don't see why not. As a bloke, I doubt I could take the crap some of them get, but I bet a lot of women could.

D

Deleted member 18477

Why ? Ms Massey has proved to have made some very good decisions, so far.

That sound rather sexist. I don't see why not. As a bloke, I doubt I could take the crap some of them get, but I bet a lot of women could.

Leave the men's game to the MEN!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Clearly not .... she doesn't speak Argentinian.
Does anyone?
It's not taken Sian Massey long to get accepted as a lino
A lino job is much easier. How many refs and linos have been sacked this season? Compare that to the number of managers sacked. Not only does a manager have to be good, they have to have the respect of the dressing room, and when one of the players is disgruntled (doesn't like the tactics, gets dropped etc) and they bitch about the manager, you need the other players to ignore them, not join in. Slagging off a female manager that's never been there (women's football doesn't count) would be too easy.

I agree that the way forward would be for talented women to become assistants, and if one was good enough they could then become a manager.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A lino job is much easier. How many refs and linos have been sacked this season? Compare that to the number of managers sacked. Not only does a manager have to be good, they have to have the respect of the dressing room, and when one of the players is disgruntled (doesn't like the tactics, gets dropped etc) and they bitch about the manager, you need the other players to ignore them, not join in. Slagging off a female manager that's never been there (women's football doesn't count) would be too easy.

I agree that the way forward would be for talented women to become assistants, and if one was good enough they could then become a manager.

I wasn't comparing jobs, merely highlighting a role that has traditionally been a male domain. I don't see it being much different to having female managers in any job, in any company. I'm not advocating it, just saying I don't see why it can't happen sometime.

guster

Jul 13, 2011
West Stand Lower
I think there will be a female player in the premiership (if allowed by the powers that be) long before a female manager in it.

Maybe if clubs/players/fans need to be convinced it could work what better way than Hope Powell for England!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I had a woman manager at my work. Evil, bitchy, psychopathic, bad tempered cow and that was on a good day!

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
in all honesty? I wouldn't mind. Because if the likes of Steve Evans and Wenger whinge about trivial things, said manageress would use her female wisdom and shut them up, for good!

dibbydoo

DibbyDoo
Aug 1, 2011
Brighton
From someone who has played football at a decent level, managed teams, reffed games, running the bloody line every sunday for god knows how many years! football is a mans world and will never have a place for women as top flight managers, assistant managers or coaches, not because they are not capable of it just because thats the way its been for 150 years!
And maybe thats not so much of a bad thing! id love to be more involved with football than i have been before but its just something you kind of except in womans football! - I remember my old football coach saying to me "you aint ever going to see a man advertising tampax" in response to me asking if she ever thought about coaching pro football. Make of that what you will!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here