Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm sure as time goes on everyone will look back with some nostalgia, but right now, all I think of is rain and trees.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For me, the place runs the full gamut of emotions from A-Z and back again - from relief at returning to Brighton, the zeitgeist of the Zamora-led back-to-back championships, the foreboding of relegation, the nail-biting play-offs, the despair at the relegation surrender, the misery and darkness of the Adams mk2 era, through to the resplendent sunrise under Gus, knowing 'Home' was getting ever closer.

It twisted you about, tore you up, made you smile, got you soaked and kicked your teeth in - sometimes all at the same time - at a time when all the fighting and campaigning made you proud to be a Brighton fan, yet was a necessary, if irritating friend.

That's Withdean in a nutshell for me.

Grateful for it? Without doubt. Great memories? Oh yes. Miss it now? Give over.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Withdean Wager only a POUND!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Miss The Sportsman. Enjoyed being in a proper pub right next to the ground, standing in the garden bit on nicer days and watching the players warm up. Only thing I preferred about the place pretty much.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
For me, the place runs the full gamut of emotions from A-Z and back again - from relief at returning to Brighton, the zeitgeist of the Zamora-led back-to-back championships, the foreboding of relegation, the nail-biting play-offs, the despair at the relegation surrender, the misery and darkness of the Adams mk2 era, through to the resplendent sunrise under Gus, knowing 'Home' was getting ever closer.

It twisted you about, tore you up, made you smile, got you soaked and kicked your teeth in - sometimes all at the same time - at a time when all the fighting and campaigning made you proud to be a Brighton fan, yet was a necessary, if irritating friend.

Very well said :clap2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course you wouldn't ever swap it for the Amex, but Withdean did have it's charms and I look back fondly on it now (except when it pissed it down)

I look back on a fair few ex-girlfriends quite fondly now.....amazing what time can do.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
I don't think you can miss it today with what we have with The Amex - however, it did signal the rebirth of the club in as much as we were back playing in BN. Plus, it is cheaper at The Amex per game with the DD arrangement than it was for a ticket on a match by match basis at Withdean.

Addiseagull

Nov 30, 2005

That's the best post I've read on here in years. Brought a tear to my eye.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The one thing I miss about Withdean (and it's quite a big thing) is the relaxing nature of the games. From Haywards Heath get a train whenver you fancied, stop for a pint or two in the Station before strolling to the ground in five minutes. Similarly, get back to Preston Park however quickly or slowly you wanted and get on the first train back home. I can't believe anyone doesn't miss this about Withdean. Much as I love Falmer the added transport hassle (exacerbated by the amount of dickheads joining in the transport) is a turn off.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The only advantage Withers had over The Amex for me is that it was a damned sight easier to get to coming from London for evening games.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
The only things I miss from The Withdean that I want as soon as possible would be a repeat of the 3 Titles and a Play-off victory. Turn that into whatever you wish, it might make us Kings of Europe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I miss it because I used to have a press pass there and could take pictures on the line. I was not shooting for a paper but just for myself. Was good fun.
How did you get that?

The only things I miss from The Withdean that I want as soon as possible would be a repeat of the 3 Titles and a Play-off victory. Turn that into whatever you wish, it might make us Kings of Europe.

How true. Went to some good games there, also went to some good games at the Goldstone, looking forward to many more good games at the Amex. Surprised that no one has mentioned he ice cream van!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
One thing I miss is meeting with all my mates, in the sunshine, at half time to discuss the first half. We all sit in diffrent stands now and there is no sunshine.

I also miss getting a taxi from the pub at 2.40 and still making kickoff and the celebratory pitch invasions.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill

This with BIG OLD BELLS on !!!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Miss the people I sat with.
Miss the convinience of having the stadium on my parent's doorstep.
MIss shouting at the bloke with the numbers board.

That's it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
these are my memories (in rhyme!)

NSC Official Poetry Competition: 'The Withdean Experience' - Page 4

The Withdean Experience, how best to convey?
To sit in the rain, twenty four quid we'd pay.

The PA was awful, the catering poor
Row S in block U had a hole in the floor.

The away fans complained that they barely could see
Don't know they were born - least their ponchos were free.

Watched a real mix of players - had hopes for them all,
But for each Paul McShane there was one Shane McFaul.

A fortress to start with, it went horribly wrong
T'was a home back in Brighton, but for ten years too long.

We had our good times there, though more often poor
At least 'til that day that Gus walked through the door.

So as we move onwards, I beg of you please
Raise your glasses my friends, to the Theatre of Trees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here