Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean,what happens after Albion move ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tens of thousand of pounds was invested in that pitch by the club to bring the drainage up to scratch, so it'd be a waste if it wasn't being used regularly for football after we've vacated.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Way I understand it is/was when Whitehawks current owners became involved it was on the understanding that they were to move in once we vacated. Good luck to them, also nice to see that they currently have youth links with current Withdean sides.

My son plays for the Hawks U21s aka reserve team

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The actual Green seating everywhere except the south stand is on lease or hire, in years gone by the have been removed during the close season and used elsewhere, previously they have been used at st Andrews for the golf.
But IIRC this last close season they weren’t taken out.

I thought that BHA bought the seats that were used for the golf either last year or the year before.

Yoda

English & European
Just a guess but I think as they intend to rise through the football pyramid The enclosed ground isn't really suitable to be expanded much more than it is currently. It does make sense that it should be used by the local footballing community and good that we can leave some form of legacy behind.

What's wrong with it being used for what it was before we moved in again?
Athletics.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
BensGrandad,you mean those that took it from 7,000 to 9,000 ? If so that was my understanding. Could well be wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BensGrandad,you mean those that took it from 7,000 to 9,000 ? If so that was my understanding. Could well be wrong.

If we are both correct in our understanding I would think that 2000 seats would be more than adequate for Whitehawk, would assume removing the rest of the seats will allow terracing of sorts. Us leaving will hit the council because if you ask any old residents of Brighton they will tell you that Withdean has been a white elephant since the day it was first built and the only people to have made it a success, not through choice, is Brighton & Hove albion FC.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If we are both correct in our understanding I would think that 2000 seats would be more than adequate for Whitehawk, would assume removing the rest of the seats will allow terracing of sorts. Us leaving will hit the council because if you ask any old residents of Brighton they will tell you that Withdean has been a white elephant since the day it was first built and the only people to have made it a success, not through choice, is Brighton & Hove albion FC.

Brighton B52's could fill it

What evere happend to the Brighton B52's??? - North Stand Chat

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have they had meetings with the City Council or applied for planning permission yet?

Will the residents object seeing as we appear to have won many round and the opposition to us in general has got less except for obvious individual cases. If there is objection I think the council should compulsory purchase any empty houses near there and use it as Whitehawk/Moulscombe overspill housing.:laugh:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
BG is right about it being a bit of a white elephant. I remember competing in AAA's meetings and Schools' athletics meetings there back in the 60's and I'm sure those few days each year were as busy as it got

At the moment we are having new 3g pitches built and renovations have been made to the pitch in Whitehawk. I believe there are plans for renovation of the current ground but the idea, due to our expanding youth set up, was to move to Withdean.

I personally would like to see DC leisure or some other company renovate the place further or buy it up, Withdean that is. The gym is shocking and the other facilities are falling way behind other fitness centres so maybe a complete revamp of the whole thing could be in order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here