Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean Stadium

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Do you think it effects the performance of the players?

It seems that much of the better performances by Brighton have come when there has been much more noise. Leeds being a prime example.

In the Zamora days, we were noisy. Difficult not to be when we are winning every week with Bobby smacking them home left, right and centre.

Now you can clearly hear the lone voices of fans criticising individual players, something that has only really come about when we have started to struggle in the Championship.

Some of our best wins in the two seasons in the Championship, came about on the road roared on by the away supporters.

In every interview the players say how much it helps to hear the crowd singing and chanting their names. The young lads need confidence and we are the key.

The crowd is flat. Are we letting down the players?

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Of course it does. The more buzzing the crowd is the more motivated and hyped up the players will be.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Actually, there were times last night when we were 'up' a lot more than previously. Specifcally, when Santos went down for an injury, the players came running over to the bench for a drink and a quick pep-talk, D Block certainly was up, cheering the lads on.

Just a small point, but for me it shows a certain level of renewed optimism among the normally fickle fans.

It's Orient on Saturday - we've got to be noisy, or everything we say about them will come back and bite us in the arse.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Large One said:
Actually, there were times last night when we were 'up' a lot more than previously. Specifcally, when Santos went down for an injury, the players came running over to the bench for a drink and a quick pep-talk, D Block certainly was up, cheering the lads on.

Just a small point, but for me it shows a certain level of renewed optimism among the normally fickle fans.

It's Orient on Saturday - we've got to be noisy, or everything we say about them will come back and bite us in the arse.

I thought that was good, but just a brief respite from the usual stony silence.

You are right, we must improve and make an atmosphere to be proud of, when we take on Orient.

We should have been singing to our hearts content when 2-1 up, but we all knew what was coming. Self fulfilling prophecy???

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Do we still have singing & non singing sections at the Withdean? I normaly sit in the family stand when I go & there's allways singing there. Even if it is only 5 year olds but at least they try.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have NEVER understood the concept of 'singing' sections and 'non-singing' sections. Someone please explain it to me, because I see it as something completely f***ing potty.

We're not the only club to do it, so what is the thinking behind it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think the albion wanted to recreate the North Stand at the Goldstone type atmosphere and were worried that all the "singers" were spread out around the ground...however at the moment, in the singing section, the singing is only done when someone starts it .....there are periods of silence.. I tried last night, Ned tried his best , Dover tried also.......It worked for a while but you do get dissolutioned when people just look at you as if you are mad trying to get people going

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Large One said:
I have NEVER understood the concept of 'singing' sections and 'non-singing' sections. Someone please explain it to me, because I see it as something completely f***ing potty.

We're not the only club to do it, so what is the thinking behind it?

Got to agree, I think the atmosphere got worse after all the singers were coralled!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...as a follow on, I go to Reading to see london Irish and although i am not a great fan of having them, the drummers certainly get the crowd going

people are very sniffy about it, but if that is the only way to create an atmos, then perhaps someone who can play an instrument or two and a drummer or two would do it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
DAMANCLAY said:
Yeah we do BB, only a few tend to make the effort on H/J block though.

Well there's the problem then! We'll never get a decent atmosphere going at the Withdean if only certain parts of the ground are allowed to sing. It's supposed to be a football ground & singing is what fans do.

As we're now a community club that listens to the fans maybe it's time the board surveyed all the fans on they're data base to see what we want at the Withdean.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
BarrelofFun said:
Do you think it effects the performance of the players?

It seems that much of the better performances by Brighton have come when there has been much more noise. Leeds being a prime example.

In the Zamora days, we were noisy. Difficult not to be when we are winning every week with Bobby smacking them home left, right and centre.

Now you can clearly hear the lone voices of fans criticising individual players, something that has only really come about when we have started to struggle in the Championship.

Some of our best wins in the two seasons in the Championship, came about on the road roared on by the away supporters.

In every interview the players say how much it helps to hear the crowd singing and chanting their names. The young lads need confidence and we are the key.

The crowd is flat. Are we letting down the players?
Are you looking for excuses BOF.???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My point is, I thought it would be better for those who are prepared to sing to be interspersed with everyone else (those less likely to - or those that will with encouragement), making more areas singing sections.

Still baffled.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I think the main problem is dedicated seats. Unless you get lucky (or have a season ticket), you end up way away from your mates and in the middle of a bunch of muppets! :nono:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
possibly, but on here ( and I have experienced it in teh North Stand) get up in sections of the ground and start a chant , you are looked upon as mentally unstable ( correct in my case but.....)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:
possibly, but on here ( and I have experienced it in teh North Stand) get up in sections of the ground and start a chant , you are looked upon as mentally unstable ( correct in my case but.....)
So we are back to square one.

f*** it, if I ever took over the club, I would make it a pre-requisite that anyone who attended Withdean (or Falmer of course) must put themselves up to ascertaining their 'singing threshold'. By which I mean not how good their voice is, but how likely they are to start/continue the singing.

Those that fail will be sent to Lewes District Council for psychiatric evaluation.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dies Irae said:

I know an ex season ticket holder who won't go to Withdean anymore because he got fed up being told to "sit down & shut up because we don't sing in this section" It's crazy!!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
British Bulldog said:
I know an ex season ticket holder who won't go to Withdean anymore because he got fed up being told to "sit down & shut up because we don't sing in this section" It's crazy!!

There lies the problem, There is a singing section because if you try to sing in any other part of a ground people look at you like you have just pissed in the queens handbag. I tried in the Northstand once and I was told to sit down and keep quiet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here