Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean Atmosphere

Dandyman

In London village.
One of the issues that got raised at the SoL meeting last night by Matt Hicks was the "Withdean factor" and it's effect, physcological or otherwise, on our results.

One suggestion was to have more uplifting music in the 10 minutes before kick off, possibly including a Fatboy Slim session.

Others felt that the atmosphere would improve with results - which is of course something of a Catch 22.

A few of us felt that a more "lenient" attitude from the stewards (there are a couple of decent ones) and the siting of the away block near to J & H blocks might also help in the coming games.

Any other thoughts from NSCers ?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Dandyman said:
One of the issues that got raised at the SoL meeting last night by Matt Hicks was the "Withdean factor" and it's effect, physcological or otherwise, on our results.

One suggestion was to have more uplifting music in the 10 minutes before kick off, possibly including a Fatboy Slim session.

Others felt that the atmosphere would improve with results - which is of course something of a Catch 22.

A few of us felt that a more "lenient" attitude from the stewards (there are a couple of decent ones) and the siting of the away block near to J & H blocks might also help in the coming games.

Any other thoughts from NSCers ?

A roof on the south stand wouldn't be too much to ask now would it??

Dandyman

In London village.
Re: Re: Withdean Atmosphere

mcshane in the 78th said:
A roof on the south stand wouldn't be too much to ask now would it??

:D blah...planning regulations...blah...

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
We need a lot more singing. I don't have a season ticket, so I tend to sit in random sections of the south stand, and very rarely do I sit with people that get up for the songs that are going round. More often than not people say "Thank god" when the people in front sit down and so can they. I much prefer standing up and (with the aid of alot of drink) I stood and shouted for the whole of the Selhurst game - half time included!!

Sunday was one of the better atmospheres at the Withdean, second only to the play off against Swindon a couple of years back for me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Perhaps it would be worth getting a song sheet printed and put in programmes with all the lyrics to Sussex by the sea or something. Something that everyone feels they can join in with.

YOu only have to look to the England Rugby and a song like Swing Low gets everybody singing, what ever demographic.

Following on from my Tequila suggestion why not go the whole hog and have maybe 150 horses and 150 Mexican bandit costumes and 150 pretend hand guns and as and when the mood takes us we could dress up and ride around the track firing off our guns in a made tequila fueled show of emotion.

le fabue

Have an adequate day
Jan 19, 2005
Bramley
Definitely, it seems to be clear that singing really helps the lads.

We should get someone on to warm up the crowd 10 minutes before kick-off. At some away games clubs bring on some local celeb or DJ to really get everyone pumped up for the start of the game, and it seems to work.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I have always wondered what it would be like to hear the players run out to or have pre match the FBS tune "You're Not from Brighton!"

:clap: :flameboun :clap:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Believe it or not, it is actually possible to sing whilst sitting down.

But apart from that can I suggest that the rest of C Block joins in a bit more often when I start up a chant!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
bellsize seagull said:
just needs everyone to try that bit harder to create the atmoshpere, easier said than done but the boys need us !!!

Until the stewards are a little more relaxed it will be hard to create any atmoshpere

Dandyman

In London village.
The Auditor said:
Until the stewards are a little more relaxed it will be hard to create any atmoshpere

Tend to agree and the point was made to Matt Hicks. We also suggested that the home end at Falmer should clearly be designated as a new Northstand and not a family area.

One of the problems with Withdean is those people who complain to the club about the rest of us standing up or swearing.

Falmer will at least give us the option of zoning the stands to cater for different ways of supporting the team.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
do what they do at some clubs abroad. Get a designated person to have a mega phone and start the songs. Everyone would hear it and songs would then be in unison around the ground

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We are in a unique position at Withers.

Usually the supporters are able to 'roar' a team on: 12th man and all that before a ball is kicked.

Regrettably we are all spaced out...no roof etc and so therefore its up to the team to get the crowd going, when we are playing well there is a good atmosphere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why don't a group of us light a little camp fire in the sandpit, link hands with the subs warming up, put on our bobble hats, and give out a hail and hearty acoustic rendition of Kum-Bay-Ah to the South Stand. Whoever ihappens to be holding my hand hereby has full touching rights to my leg and groinal areas during the song.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Everybody's talkin' about songsheets, free drinks, megaphones, singin' zones, DJs, camp fires, stewarding and roofing...

All I am saying...is team good, atmos good

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
albionnnnnnnnnnnn albionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn albiooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

and how about some good old naaaaaNANANAANANANANA and ofcourse, the most excellent GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here