Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean after The Albion move out.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Does anyone know what will be left for athletics after we move out? We could be leaving behind a pretty nice athletics stadium compared to the run-down dump we moved into.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Council have currently got an application in at the moment to retain the west stand, offece areas and some of the toilet blocks for use mainly by Whitehawk. All of the other temporary stands and portakabins will be taken away.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Details for application number: BH2011/00973

Guide to measuring/scaling from plans

address: Withdean Stadium Tongdean Lane Brighton

description: Permanent retention of West stand, Northern turnstiles and a reduced size North West car park. Temporary retention of players lounge and changing rooms. Removal of 3no office buildings, 11no toilet blocks, North East stand, East stand, South East stand and South stand.

application type: council development

development type: continuation of use

received date: 29/03/11

valid date: 07/04/11

target decision date: 02/06/11

ward: Withdean

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It isn't that Whitehawk don't want to, but the word on the Sussex County circuit is that Withdean may be earmarked for a different project. From what I have heard it may well be the home for Brighton Ladies and the Ressies... as I said, that is the word on the circuit, not set in concrete.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The Council have currently got an application in at the moment to retain the west stand, offece areas and some of the toilet blocks for use mainly by Whitehawk. All of the other temporary stands and portakabins will be taken away.

Why on earth do they want to keep the west stand? If they were keeping a stand surely the east would be far more logical, a better view for starters

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I guess they need somewhere to put the away fans? They would have found it hard to justify retention of the South stand due to its size, and the D&A argues that the west stand doesn't look temporary but more a permanent feature of a normal athletics track, whilst the east stand is blatently temporary. Not sure I agree with that...plus they are retaining the turnstiles to the west entrance. It will esentially mean the whole of the east and south of the stadium will be cleared out of BHA buildings.

I've also heard that Whitehawk aren't so interested now as well....last time I checked they weren't doing that well in their league either!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whitehawk only want it for a couple of years while they do up their ground.

And if they don't get it, they will be losing their Ryman League status due to the East Brighton Park not being up to standard.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I guess they need somewhere to put the away fans? They would have found it hard to justify retention of the South stand due to its size, and the D&A argues that the west stand doesn't look temporary but more a permanent feature of a normal athletics track, whilst the east stand is blatently temporary. Not sure I agree with that...plus they are retaining the turnstiles to the west entrance. It will esentially mean the whole of the east and south of the stadium will be cleared out of BHA buildings.

I've also heard that Whitehawk aren't so interested now as well....last time I checked they weren't doing that well in their league either!

Good point about it looking more permanent actually hadn't really thought about that, if they did turn it back into a proper atheletics stadium that one would be good to keep, but games at that level are not segregated..

Oct 25, 2003

how much does the south stand hold? 2,000? something like that? can't see them really needing another stand, and if they, for some reason, did have a massive crowd, they could segregate the south stand, like we did in the first season or so

and yeah, whitehawk are top but they've played an obscene amount of games compared with the teams around them......always seems to happen in non-league!

WHITEHAWK FC 1st TEAM - Division 1 South Table - Whitehawk FC

Oct 25, 2003
And if they don't get it, they will be losing their Ryman League status due to the East Brighton Park not being up to standard.

if they were desperate there must be other places to play.....lewes for example....they get shit crowds anyway so it wouldn't make that much difference!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
how much does the south stand hold? 2,000? something like that? can't see them really needing another stand, and if they, for some reason, did have a massive crowd, they could segregate the south stand, like we did in the first season or so

and yeah, whitehawk are top but they've played an obscene amount of games compared with the teams around them......always seems to happen in non-league!

WHITEHAWK FC 1st TEAM - Division 1 South Table - Whitehawk FC

4400 on the Southstand isn't it? They would never ever use it so seems pointless keeping it, plus I heard a while ago (not a clue if there is any truth in it, and I cant be assed to find out) that the Southstand would need major work on it in a couple of years time for it to remain functional...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whitehawk DO want to use Wiithdean for both the 2011/12, and 2012/13 seasons. The local council are also more than happy to let them rent it. Any potential problem to this agreement could come from the Ryman League, who may not rubber stamp it, as they do not have the cast iron assurances that they need, that they will return to their permanent home at the Enclosed Ground, once East Brighton Park has been renovated in two years time.

A decision is set to be reached at a meeting this coming Monday apparantly.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
plus I heard a while ago (not a clue if there is any truth in it, and I cant be assed to find out) that the Southstand would need major work on it in a couple of years time for it to remain functional...

I half expect it to collapse once they lock up Withdean after the final game. Some parts of it are already so rickety i'm surprised they haven't already been condemned

Oct 25, 2003
4400 on the Southstand isn't it? They would never ever use it so seems pointless keeping it, plus I heard a while ago (not a clue if there is any truth in it, and I cant be assed to find out) that the Southstand would need major work on it in a couple of years time for it to remain functional...

my mistake, i was talking about the north stand!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here