Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With Pompey and Soton in deep trouble......

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Point of order - have we ever been the top South Coast club? Did we ever finish ahead of Southampton in our first division years?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You mean before the £70 million (or whatever figure the club have plucked out of thin air) stadium has been built? :jester:
A mortgage is a bit different to spunking it all up the wall on transfer fees and wages, with no prospect of increased income.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yeah, but they also have £15m for Defoe (minus whatever they still owed on him) and £20m for Diarra coming their way. I do think they have just about enough assets not to go to the wall Leeds style.

Problem is the reality is very different when a club goes down like that.

That's why the parachute payment was introduced, because relegation from the Premiership (unless very very carefully planned) is a potential financial nightmare.

Loss of Television Rights (huge)
Drop in Corporate Events and any other commercial activities.
Drop in gate receipts

etc.. etc...

The list goes on.

All of a sudden a big "Premiership Company" is moved into a much smaller market with much smaller rewards and unless there is a watertight plan in place, pretty much anything can happen.

Won't we all led to believe that Charlton were one of the best run clubs business wise ? Well is they are in trouble, imagine what Portsmouth are facing.

The fact that Portsmouth are in the amount of debt they are already are, doesn't suggest to me that relegation will be anything other than painful.

I wouldn't rely on the headline transfer fees either. They are usually more complex with payment being made in instalments, fees to agents and money going to player themselves.

The fact they let Redknapp go with so much as a whisper suggest that the compensation money came in very handy.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yeah, I do agree with you, but surely if they go down they will a) sell everyone and as a result b) reduce the wage bill massively. The £20m+ they would then get in parachute payments for two years would then mean they would, in effect, be running at a big PROFIT for the next two years. Would this not be enough to see them through?

It would be interesting to know exactly who Portsmouth's debts are owed to, as I expect that would be the deciding factor in how hard they will feel relegation.

I'm sure Charlton and Southampton fans were saying exactly the same thing. See edited post.

With due respect, what you are saying is exactly what a Southampton fan was saying to me a few years ago.

In fact he added the classic (yes he really did say this ) "They all play long ball in the lower leagues, so with Crouch in the team we will cream it..."

According the wonderfully reliable News of the World before Christmas, Portsmouth owe 60m and I think the important point, are losing 25m a year.

( obviously can't say whether that is true...)

But if it is, if they are losing 25m a year in the premiership, how do you think they will handle a drop to the championship.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Yeah, but they also have £15m for Defoe (minus whatever they still owed on him) and £20m for Diarra coming their way. I do think they have just about enough assets not to go to the wall Leeds style.

Portsmouth's assets are nothing compared to what Leeds had. If they go down I think they'll be in very serious trouble.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Yeah, I do agree with you, but surely if they go down they will a) sell everyone and as a result b) reduce the wage bill massively.

Don't assume that all the players will be bought. The headliners would go but the bulk of the squad would remain, on contracts, for as long as the contract term. This is what would cause them most trouble. Former Prem squad players on huge wages who are not cutting a swathe through the Championship but who cost big bucks with no prospect of being off-loaded.

Also, as it's been explained to me, clubs like pompey have to pay more for the middle level players because they are a less attractive proposition than some alternatives. This compounds the problem.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
With all the expertise shown in the last twenty four hours I think that we should have a carpet warehouse built onto the side of the stadium to augment our income.

borowha

Dec 19, 2008
Eastbourne Borough will be there or there abouts when Falmer is ready,best run club in the conference.:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here