Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wireless Set-up

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Can anyone recommend a wireless router and PC card?

It does not need to be top range since I will not be doing anything major with it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
NOT D-Link !!

I've had a gateway and a router in the past and both failed after about 18 months ...

Lynksys is okay but not the build quality of US Robotics (aka 3-Com)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Shropshire Seagull said:
NOT D-Link !!

I've had a gateway and a router in the past and both failed after about 18 months ...

Lynksys is okay but not the build quality of US Robotics (aka 3-Com)

USR hasn't been part of 3Com for 6 years. And they've gone downhill since to the point where I personally see their kit as nasty cheap consumer shite, really.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
My Belkin card is fine, but had no end of problems with the Router; eventually replaced it with a BT one and all is now well.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Netgear setup for me. Even set one up for my folks. PC Antenna for the desktop upstairs, laptop has built in wireless and hard-wired the desk top downstairs.

Easy to set up and never had a problem in the 18 months I've been using it.

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
If you are on BT they were doing a wireless router for £10 you need to call 0800 0856161 from Tuesday this week normal office hours. I got one recently so I presume they are still doing them but you must be a BT Broadband user.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I've set up a network in my new house using a router I got from BT and a netgear card in my laptop. It works ok but the network keeps cutting out and on again, making watching and listening to things on the internet a pain.

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
nail-Z-gull said:
Netgear setup for me. Even set one up for my folks. PC Antenna for the desktop upstairs, laptop has built in wireless and hard-wired the desk top downstairs.

Easy to set up and never had a problem in the 18 months I've been using it.

I agree. We tested most of these as part of a project to install multiple broadband and Netgear are the routers we found most reliable.

I have one at home which is easy to use and works well although the Internet connection can drop out infrequently for about 30 seconds or so.

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
fatboy said:
I've set up a network in my new house using a router I got from BT and a netgear card in my laptop. It works ok but the network keeps cutting out and on again, making watching and listening to things on the internet a pain.

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

I had a similar problem turned out someone living close by was transmitting on the same Wireless Channel. Got advised to download Network Stumbler which showed me who was on what channels locally, they were right changed channel been great until someone changes to the same one again.

http://www.foxpop.co.uk/elisa/wifi/wifi_04.htm

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
adrian29uk said:
PC-BSD all the way for me.
Get a real operating system.

You were pushing Linux a few months ago. :rolleyes:

And yet neither of them is a suitable OS for 95% of Windows or Mac users, or even people who've used less well known non-UNIX OS's (Amiga/Acorn/BeOS/OS2).

To add to that, what relevance is using PC-BSD, which is based on FreeBSD and hence has really rather shit support for wireless across the board, have to do with chosing a wireless router ???

Last edited:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Hannibal smith said:
I agree. We tested most of these as part of a project to install multiple broadband and Netgear are the routers we found most reliable.

I have one at home which is easy to use and works well although the Internet connection can drop out infrequently for about 30 seconds or so.

and for me too

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Hiney said:
Netgear as well.

Router downstairs wired to the main desktop. Wireless for the 3 other PCs in the house and my laptop

Had a few problems when I upgraded the Router recently but the helpdesk were surprisingly helpful and all is now fine.

:thumbsup:

do you have a helpdesk no. for Net gear?

thx

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We have a Netgear router and a variety of cards which all work well. Currently I'm looking for a long range PCMCIA and I think that a cheap Belkin from PC World seems to be the solution, it boasts a range of 1500 feet. Any suitable suggestions would be most welcome though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here