Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wireless Set-up

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Also does anyone have any idea how to connect a wired PC to a wireless mac?

I have an airport card and extreme...netgear router......do I need anything else?

me_me

Jan 27, 2005
Also please can anyone reccomend a wireless router for use with ntl broadband for a student house with 7 bedrooms (so need it to be able to connect to 7 different rooms, maybe all at the same time)

thanks

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
me_me said:
Also please can anyone reccomend a wireless router for use with ntl broadband for a student house with 7 bedrooms (so need it to be able to connect to 7 different rooms, maybe all at the same time)

thanks

My folks have NTL broadband and I set them up with the wireless Netgear router mentioned earlier in this thread. With that many PC's needing to receive the signal it would probably be better if you get a USB receiver so you can share it round, as 7 * wireless antenna could prove expensive.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
nailz-z-gull

I've got an NTL box connected by a cable to a PC two floors above.

If I get one of the routers on your "cable" link, can I simply plug the cable into the back of it, and then use my laptop, which has a built-in wireless card, as and where I feel like it?

Apologies if this is a silly question...

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
mtoto said:
nailz-z-gull

I've got an NTL box connected by a cable to a PC two floors above.

If I get one of the routers on your "cable" link, can I simply plug the cable into the back of it, and then use my laptop, which has a built-in wireless card, as and where I feel like it?

Apologies if this is a silly question...

Indeed you can. The only potential pitfall is your signal strength if you're 2 floors up but I assume you don't have concrete lead lined floors so should be OK.

Some simple configs required on the router to enable wireless, such as encyption etc.. but it's not too challenging.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Thanks for the reply - what I meant though was will it work both wired and wirelessly at the same time - ie. plug the existing cable from the PC into the back of the router, along with the connection from the NTL box.

Sorry that wasn't clear...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here